Hide/show option for text labels

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Purzelkater
Cave Troll

Hide/show option for text labels

Post by Purzelkater »

Hi,

I would like to see an option to hide/show text labels on the map. This could work like the options to hide/show grid or coordinates on the menu.

Text labels: Speaking of "text labels" I'm talking about the labels you can add to the map with the build-in text function.

Reason: I like to use the text labels an my maps. They are quick and easy to handle und they are readable independently of the zoom level. Sadly, this is also the main issue. If you zoom out, this labels can cover whole parts of the map.

Kind regards
from Purzelkater

BearFather
Cave Troll

Re: Hide/show option for text labels

Post by BearFather »

I vote for this option, I agree could come in handy.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

And while you're at it, make sure it can be turned on and off from a macro. :D

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Text label are part of the Drawing Tools... but they don't show up in the Draw Explorer. I suppose if they could we'd be able to move them to the hidden layer.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

As I recall, Text Labels are their own layer above the others.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Phergus wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:21 pm
As I recall, Text Labels are their own layer above the others.
That's interesting. I wonder if there is a technical reason to not have them on the drawing layer... or if there might just be an easier way to make them more usable if that's a square-peg/round-hole situation.

Perhaps if they had a GM and Player field that would address this FREQ... and, even better, if they had Player and GM Tooltip fields I think they'd be significantly more useful for labeling maps.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Full Bleed wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:50 am
That's interesting. I wonder if there is a technical reason to not have them on the drawing layer... or if there might just be an easier way to make them more usable if that's a square-peg/round-hole situation.
If they were on the drawing layer they could get obscured by drawings though that could be fixable via the Drawing Explorer if they showed up there.
Perhaps if they had a GM and Player field that would address this FREQ... and, even better, if they had Player and GM Tooltip fields I think they'd be significantly more useful for labeling maps.
They really could use some love being essentially unchanged since the very beginning.

Return to “Feature Requests”