[FREQ] Default Theme sharing or settings.

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Full Bleed
Demigod

[FREQ] Default Theme sharing or settings.

Post by Full Bleed »

So, as noted in another thread about some perceived issues with macrolinks not always taking clicks, I've been converting image macrolink buttons to form buttons. The problem is that the default spacing around images in form buttons can be downright unpleasing.

I have also previously edited my default theme to use a "more pleasing" color scheme and slightly larger default text size for my framework and how I've built output assumes that the players are using the same theme (i.e. certain colors of text are actually unreadable on a pure white background in the chat window.)

What this means is that I'm at the point where anytime a user connects to me I need to make sure that they also have my custom default.theme or things can look really messed up on their side. This is an annoyance.

Thus, my question/suggestion is whether or not there is a way to either:

1) Have clients use the default.theme of the server.

or

2) Have some default.theme settings in the campaign file.

Here is an example of what an array of image buttons look like with my custom default.theme and what they look like with the default default.theme.

Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Merudo
Giant

Re: [FREQ] Default Theme sharing or settings.

Post by Merudo »

That's seems very reasonable to me. The UI theme should be coordinated to the framework.

I suggest automatically giving the users the same theme as the server. Maybe with an option to disable this in settings.

The issue is that themes are currently loaded as MapTool is booted up. I'm not sure if there is a clean way to change themes after connecting to a server.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Merudo wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:25 am
The issue is that themes are currently loaded as MapTool is booted up. I'm not sure if there is a clean way to change themes after connecting to a server.
That's what I suspected... but was hoping there might be some sneaky way to change that up or maybe at least give us some of the main default.theme settings in MT proper that would propagate (instead of having to use tinylaf to do it.) *fingers crossed*
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Merudo wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:25 am
In theory TinyLaF does support theme switching though I don't know if we've ever tried it. The Javadocs in the TinyLaF Theme.class should have more info.

Code: Select all

Use Theme.getAvailableThemes() to get an array of available ThemeDescription objects

Then Theme.loadTheme(ThemeDescription) to load the desired one.

// You have to re-install the Tiny Look and Feel with:
UIManager.setLookAndFeel(new TinyLookAndFeel());

// Update the ComponentUIs for all Components.
// This needs to be invoked for all windows.
SwingUtilities.updateComponentTreeUI(rootComponent); 

Return to “Feature Requests”