Token Size - more flexible

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Darelius
Cave Troll

Token Size - more flexible

Post by Darelius »

Hello, i want to talk about a new feature:
Add some more token sizes ;)

In the moment, you can select sizes from fine to colossal (from 1x1 to 5x5 fields)

But there are (even in the Basic DnD game) many creatures, that are not "squared" ;)

So, there is need for creatures for each size with only one dimension "big.

Especially: 1x2 (Horse for examle)
2x4 (Bulette)
3x6 (Kraken)
4x8 (Dragon)

Ideal would be the possibility to make more options:
from (1-5)x(1x10)
i know, that would be "work" and are 50! sizes...
But some examples (a Wagon behind 2 horses is mostlsy 2x4 spaces long, some are 2x5 and some 2x3)

Even most "giant" and larger Creatures are not "standing" and use a "square" position, most are with 4 Legs on ground (Dragons!) and are "long" creatures!

So it qould be awesome, it more token sizes are available.

My "personal" favourite" would be following option:
A "Tab" ad "Campaign Properties", where you can define your own sizes.
Example:

Code: Select all

Tiny: 1/8x1/x
Medium: 1x1
Large: 2x2
Large (Long): 2x1
Colossal: 5x5
Colossal(Long): 4x10
TheUltraCentipede: 5x70
With this option, all "programmers" could declare their own creature size lists (a Standard should be given)
I know, some frameworks uses Size modificators based on the size, but that could be changed!

Tha actual Option to resize any individual Creature in the config manually and then it still have only one "square" as technical but 4x4 misplaced "frame" around it to show is in my opinion a very awful solution in the moment.
Especially, when you want to use "shapechange", that can transform you in different creatures and sizes - everytime you have to scale new :(

So, any other, who would like this idea?

...DX

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Token Size - more flexible

Post by wolph42 »

Agreed!. AFAIK this has been a thorn in the eye of MT for the simplest reason that the current size implementation is NOT system agnostic. Alas the literal terms are heavily intertwined into the current MT code and not easily rewritten without wreaking heavy havoc. This is the main reason this issue has not been tackled yet, but its on the list and will be corrected in the future (I hope).

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

wolph42 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:34 am
Agreed!. AFAIK this has been a thorn in the eye of MT for the simplest reason that the current size implementation is NOT system agnostic. Alas the literal terms are heavily intertwined into the current MT code and not easily rewritten without wreaking heavy havoc. This is the main reason this issue has not been tackled yet, but its on the list and will be corrected in the future (I hope).
I suspect that a proper implementation would require an entirely new "sub system" alongside the current one.

And I hope that when someone does it that they build in some proper functions for "reach\range" and "flanking", too. Because I could see that becoming a lot more complicated when tokens aren't square.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

liquidavatar
Cave Troll

Post by liquidavatar »

I would also absolutely love this feature! TBH, at this point, my super ultra best wishlist item would be for Gridless maps (and the sizes that they allow) to support AI Pathing and movement modifiers. I've been doing a duct-tape and bailing-wire version of that where I set my grid to be 1 foot and then just deal with all of my monster tokens' footprints not actually lining up (which gets weird when using auras to check ranges), but I'd love to get away from the strict grid entirely (and get back to a situation where the token footprint matches the token image).

Return to “Feature Requests”