RPTools.net connection for IPv6 only networks

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

danlswanson
Kobold

RPTools.net connection for IPv6 only networks

Post by danlswanson »

What would it take to get the RPTools.net lobby to work for IPv6 only networks? My issue is that I am out of area of most Internet services. So I am connected to the T-Mobile home Internet - who is IPv6 only and does not support port forwarding. It would be nice it MapTools had a way to host a game like Fantasy Ground Unity's Cloud Game. I don't know what technology they use, but I can host a game (without port forwarding) on the T-Mobile network.

At the moment, my work around is to VPN into another computer at a friend's house and start the MapTool server there. I can then connect to it from my computer as GM and run the game.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: RPTools.net connection for IPv6 only networks

Post by aliasmask »

Have you tried using UPnP for MapTool?

danlswanson
Kobold

Post by danlswanson »

aliasmask wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:45 pm
Have you tried using UPnP for MapTool?
Yes, UpnP doesn't solve our issue. Our problem is I can't host a game on T-Mobile's IPv6-only network. Especially since some players are on IPv4 only networks. We are using the Direct tab. Just wondering how Fantasy Grounds cloud server works (since I can host there) and if MapTools can do something similar.

danlswanson
Kobold

Post by danlswanson »

My specific problem is the way T-Mobile home Internet works. It is IPv6 only and it is new enough that their routers don't handle port forwarding. And I tested with one of my friends: I could connect to his MapTool server via IPv6, but he could not connect to my MapTool server via IPv6. So something on T-Mobile's network is blocking this (and yes, I took down all firewalls to test). I'm hopeful they will eventually upgrade their router and that will solve the problem (since I have no high-speed Internet options out here in the country). For now, our work around keeps us playing - I have a MapTool server at a friend's house and I just connect as GM (and load content to it via VPN).

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

If their router is blocking incoming connections, your only other alternative is some variety of VPN, like Hamachi or ZeroTier (both of which are used successfully on a regular basis). (Or, in theory, running the server on something like the Amazon cloud, which has been done, but it's pretty demanding on technical skills.)

Braelen
Kobold

Post by Braelen »

my network provider is the same they have disabled port forwarding as it makes their life easier

Nin
Cave Troll

Post by Nin »

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea. But maybe the instructions for FVTT also help in this case with MT?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKFD9VRVSNI

Return to “Feature Requests”