[FREQ] Pixels Electronic Dice Support.

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Full Bleed
Demigod

[FREQ] Pixels Electronic Dice Support.

Post by Full Bleed »

I would love to see support for these bluetooth dice in MT.

Pixels Dice.

Their Kickstarter is blowing up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pi ... lt=project

If some MT Devs could get on board with supporting these things then MT would get some positive buzz from it. They are producing these with Open Source Hardware and Software so it's right in MT's wheelhouse.

I'd hate to see Roll 20, Fantasy Grounds, and others get an edge over MT in this... and I just can't justify buying them if MT isn't going to support them. ;)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: [FREQ] Pixels Electronic Dice Support.

Post by wolph42 »

I was wondering when (not if) this request would come, I've seen them too, I actually could have gotten them 'cheaper' as I saw them really early but even then it was just too much. Anyhoot I fully agree with you, MT should support this!

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

If we knew MT was going to support them, my core group would be in for a 5 set pack (40 dice.) We're dice purists. We still roll our own dice and enter the results into MT for most actions... so these things would be ideal for bridging the gap between VTT rolling and actual tabletop rolling.

Years ago I started a thread about coming up with some way to use face recognition software to read dice with a camera and send results... and I still think that would be a great (and cheaper) option (using a common cell phone camera, of course!) I even tried repurposing some open source facial recognition software for the task, but it failed miserably if the dice orientation wasn't "just right." And while I, personally, don't need all the led disco, Pixels is here now and not a pipe dream. Hopefully, support for it will open doors for more dice options like this in the future.

It all hinges on open source VTT support though.

Honestly, if I'd of known about these earlier, I would have tried rallying some troops around here to get a Dev kit for the MT developer that was going to tackle this. I don't see a way to pick up a dev kit any more though... but I'll go to bat to try and get MT one if someone (reliable) steps up! The creator of these lives right up the proverbial street from me... I'll show up at his place with a six pack and a pitch for MT support if I have to. :)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

funny, my group has the same tendency and I tried the same thing (dice recognition). I still think that shoul be possible, but its beyond my capabilities. This is a really nice solution but the price is too much for me. i have no doubt that worse quality dice will be available for a better price in due time...

Return to “Feature Requests”