[b55] Assets on other maps are downloaded in the background

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

palmer
Great Wyrm

[b55] Assets on other maps are downloaded in the background

Post by palmer »

Like it says in the subject line.

Obviously MapTool downloads the assets needed for the current map when it is switched to.

But we could spend a long time on that map, and then switch to another one, where we play wait and load again.

So how about having the current map downloaded, and then MapTool continues to load other assets in the background. Thus after spending an hour on the first map, everyone should have the assets for the other 4 maps I have prepared, making map changes pretty much instant.

Additional functionality to consider would be prioritizing what to download.
Maybe a per-map setting for priority... thus I order my maps by thenorder we'll encounter them. Thus we start on map 1, and it starts preloading map 2, then map 3.

Otherwise, what's the priority? Largest assets first?

Still, even randomly downloading background assets would be better than not.

Brigand
Read-only User

Re: [b55] Assets on other maps are downloaded in the background

Post by Brigand »

I think it would be better to use an asset.pak method, like Neverwinter Nights did with hakpaks, than to stream/download in the background.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

palmer wrote:Still, even randomly downloading background assets would be better than not.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

Brigand wrote:I think it would be better to use an asset.pak method, like Neverwinter Nights did with hakpaks, than to stream/download in the background.
So that people have to download what amounts to the entire campaign before anything displays?

No.

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

Downloading an easy to install asset.pak would be easier. Much easier to code and cause less problems in the middle of a game. Builders export the assets into a pak, name it something like KeepontheShadowfell.pak and then upload it to a website. Players download it before the game and install it into a Pak folder. MapTool compares the MD5 checksum hashes or whatever when the player logs into a campaign and downloads anything that's changed, which shouldn't be much.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

jfrazierjr wrote:
palmer wrote:Still, even randomly downloading background assets would be better than not.
Would be nice. Even if you kept it to only maps visible to players... I could setup my game and quietly make some maps visible (but fogged) to players to ensure the downloads start.

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

Brigand wrote:Downloading an easy to install asset.pak would be easier.
Has it's uses, but is a different solution than what's being discussed.

BOTH options would have uses and could be used side by side.

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

No, I'm providing a counter solution. Streaming assets in the background is the wrong way to do things. I don't want MapTool to be transferring anything to my computer unless I tell it to.

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

Brigand wrote:No, I'm providing a counter solution. Streaming assets in the background is the wrong way to do things. I don't want MapTool to be transferring anything to my computer unless I tell it to.
That means GMs cant add new monsters or maps on the fly.

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

There's a difference to me, between dropping a new token on a map and dropping entire images. The point of using an asset.pak would be to eliminate nearly all transfers of files between dm and players through the software itself. This would eliminate a lot of the problems I've seen when players are stuck loading some large file or get stuck caching assets (which happened to me last night).

hyperactiveChipmunk
Cave Troll

Post by hyperactiveChipmunk »

Brigand wrote:There's a difference to me, between dropping a new token on a map and dropping entire images.
Abuuh?

A full token with properties is actually larger than just its image.

-hC

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

Brigand wrote:No, I'm providing a counter solution.
No, it's a complimentary solution, and nothing more.

Your solution relies on predefined assets that are bundled and distributed beforehand. This involves
A: finishing all work on cmpgn.
B: Exporting the pak
C: Uploading the pak somewhere (this is a real hassle for many people)
D: Contacting all players with a link
E: All players download and install the pak
F: Start server
G: Play.

This is quite frankly awesome... IF YOU HAVE TIME. It's not unusual for me to be putting the final touches on some maps after my layers have connected and started talking. This whole process would take, at the least, half an hour or more.

Pak file is USELESS in these situations... it's actually worse than useless because it's a waste of time, and it prevents anything from being added to the game after the pak is made.

Even moreso, it's a waste of bandwidth. I have a cmpgn that's 5 megs. So I make a 5 meg pak, and everyone downloads and installs it. Awesome.

Now, I've updated my cmpgn and made a new pak. It's up to 8 megs now. So the players have to download 8 megs of assets just to get 3 megs worth of new stuff. The other 5 megs is duplicates - wasted data.

Next week, my cmpgn is up to 10 megs. Download that... So now we've downloaded 23 megs of data to get 10 megs worth of actual assets.

Not everyone lives in North America and has unlimited bandwidth. People overseas or at colleges are especially likely to have bandwidth caps.

Your idea is a good one, for what it does. But it is not the best, or only solution. It is AN OPTION. And nothing more.

If you don't want MapTool transferring anything without your express permission, stop using it.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Brigand wrote:Downloading an easy to install asset.pak would be easier. Much easier to code and cause less problems in the middle of a game. Builders export the assets into a pak, name it something like KeepontheShadowfell.pak and then upload it to a website. Players download it before the game and install it into a Pak folder. MapTool compares the MD5 checksum hashes or whatever when the player logs into a campaign and downloads anything that's changed, which shouldn't be much.
Seems like having some kind of "locked" campaign file that players could put somewhere would live up to this expectation... and would be a welcome feature.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

hyperactiveChipmunk
Cave Troll

Post by hyperactiveChipmunk »

palmer wrote:
Brigand wrote:No, I'm providing a counter solution.
No, it's a complimentary solution, and nothing more.
long list of good reasons...
Even worse, such a system as a "counter-solution" would take away the GM's ability to do what is, in fact, the essence of DMing: smoothly adapting to the situation at-hand.

"Sorry, you can't light that dry wooden scaffolding on fire because I didn't put any fiery textures in the asset pack. In fact, there will be no lighting fire to anything, anywhere, today. Could I interest you in maybe throwing a tree at it instead? I have three different types of tree available, all very finely detailed!"

-hC

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

:roll: Yeah, because community asset pak's with commonly used textures, tiles, and other objects would never ever be made available for players and dm's alike to use. Every dm has to assemble all their map resources and assets themselves from scratch. :roll:

Return to “Feature Requests”