[1.3b57] Edit > Paste not always working between maps

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice, MapTool BugReport Manager

kristof65
Dragon

[1.3b57] Edit > Paste not always working between maps

Post by kristof65 »

Azhrei asked me to submit a bug report for this in this thread:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11110

When cutting/pasting tokens between maps, the Paste function on the Edit Menu appears to do nothing.

Steps to duplicate:
1. Open a campaign with two maps (I use Emirkol's WFRP ones)
2. Right click on a token on one of the maps - select cut.
3. Move to the other map.
4. Go up to the Edit Menu in the toolbar, and select Paste. Nothing happens.

You can still paste the token to the new map using Ctrl-V, however, the menu option doesn't work.

Suggested solution - make the Edit > Paste menu function work in all cases that Ctrl-V does and vice versa.

aku
Dragon

Re: [1.3b57] Edit > Paste not always working between maps

Post by aku »

As i stated in the other thread in the maptool forum, the bug isnt that the menu options dont work, it's that in order to paste something onto the map. to test this, copy or cut an object, and while your mouse is still in the map area, hit alt-E, and then scroll down to paste. Tada!

kristof65
Dragon

Post by kristof65 »

aku wrote:As i stated in the other thread in the maptool forum, the bug isnt that the menu options dont work, it's that in order to paste something onto the map. to test this, copy or cut an object, and while your mouse is still in the map area, hit alt-E, and then scroll down to paste. Tada!
Nice to know - however, that still leaves the problem that you can't cut/paste between maps using only the mouse, which I beleive you should be able to do.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

And where exactly do you expect the pasted tokens to go when you select Paste from the Edit menu?

Chrest
Cave Troll

Post by Chrest »

Phergus wrote:And where exactly do you expect the pasted tokens to go when you select Paste from the Edit menu?
Personally, I would expect it to show up in the center of my viewing window.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Hmm, that's reasonable.

Since MapTool doesn't have a "cursor" like a text document does, pasting something onto a map is done by moving the mouse to the location where you want the copied tokens and then issuing the paste keystroke. That's probably why the Edit->Paste doesn't work -- the mouse is not within the map window if it's selecting things off the menu!

Either the stuff could be pasted into the middle of the map view or the mouse pointer could change and the stuff would be pasted when the left mouse button is clicked...

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Chrest wrote:
Phergus wrote:And where exactly do you expect the pasted tokens to go when you select Paste from the Edit menu?
So underneath the fog of war section that the GM hasn't cleared yet?

Where auto-expose might cause the wrong area of the map to be revealed?

Copy/Paste works for players as well as GMs.

Chrest
Cave Troll

Post by Chrest »

Phergus wrote:
Chrest wrote:
So underneath the fog of war section that the GM hasn't cleared yet?

Where auto-expose might cause the wrong area of the map to be revealed?

Copy/Paste works for players as well as GMs.
I'm not sure why this would be a new problem if the behavior were changed to allow pasting from the Edit menu. Without safeguards preventing them from doing so, players using the current system would be able to paste into the two types of areas you cite as problems by simply moving their cursors over the area and hitting Ctrl-V. I don't know whether there are currently safeguards to prevent players from doing this, but if there are, then they're easily applied to pasting in the center of the viewing window. If there aren't, then this is a problem with the current system as well, so I don't understand why it would be worse if pasting from the Edit menu were allowed.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Because using Ctrl-V requires you to have positioned the mouse pointer somewhere over the map already. Now some people might not think to place the pointer over an appropriate area but I would like to think that the majority of people are smart enough to have done so. Relying on the center of the map display area to be correct is going to be considerably more prone to accidental drops in the wrong place.

And pasting from the Edit menu does work. You just have to have the mouse pointer over the map area when you select the Paste menu-item.

Azhrei's suggestion to change the mouse-pointer and have it essentially in a click-to-drop mode would be the far better solution.

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

Phergus wrote:And pasting from the Edit menu does work. You just have to have the mouse pointer over the map area when you select the Paste menu-item.
Isnt this a bit of a strawman, phergus, i mean, the whole point of this discussion is for people that arent comfortable using a keyboard short cut (ctrl V) to paste things where their mouse cursor is. I think they'd find it difficult to code themselves to click edit, then go to where they want the item to appear, and then keyboard down to paste the item there. They're going to be going to edit, and click, click, and expecting SOMETHING to happen. So i agree that the drop down (ala something like airplanes or bombs in civ 4) to place it is the best idea.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Well in the first of the 4 or 5 times this has been discussed to death there was some discussion about removing Paste from the Edit menu so that it wouldn't confuse people. Ultimately it was decided that it was better to leave the Paste option in the Edit menu so that people would know that it exists.

I expect stuff like this will be addressed in 1.4.

kristof65
Dragon

Post by kristof65 »

aku wrote: They're going to be going to edit, and click, click, and expecting SOMETHING to happen.
Exactly.

I was tutoring a new player to my campaign last night in the use of the software, and he ran into this himself and complained about it with repeated uses of the phrase "That's stupid" while I was walking him through it.

There are a lot of different ways to have it work, but the biggest point is that it should do something. Various programs handle it in different ways - one of the programs I work with always pastes to the upper left corner of the drawing/document window while another prompts you for coordinates.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

It now pastes in the center of the screen
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Return to “Resolved”