[v1.3 b56] New Map function - broken?

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice, MapTool BugReport Manager

Sabin Stargem
Cave Troll

[v1.3 b56] New Map function - broken?

Post by Sabin Stargem »

Whenever I try to use the "New Map..." option in the Resource Library, it always brings up the following exception error. I am using the Mapping torrent collection, and the Dicebox application.

java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.MapToolFrame$6.createZone(MapToolFrame.java:947)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.MapToolFrame$6.access$0(MapToolFrame.java:944)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.MapToolFrame$6$1.actionPerformed(MapToolFrame.java:936)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
at de.muntjak.tinylookandfeel.TinyMenuItemUI.doClick(TinyMenuItemUI.java:571)
at de.muntjak.tinylookandfeel.TinyMenuItemUI$MouseInputHandler.mouseReleased(TinyMenuItemUI.java:421)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.swing.MapToolEventQueue.dispatchEvent(MapToolEventQueue.java:24)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Beyond the information I already provided, I have no further insight or understanding about the situation.

Phergus
Deity

Re: [v1.3 b56] New Map function - broken?

Post by Phergus »

Sabin Stargem wrote:Whenever I try to use the "New Map..." option in the Resource Library, it always brings up the following exception error. <snip>
I'm assuming you mean that you are right-clicking on an image and then selecting New Map from the popup. I thought this was actually fixed not too long ago and I am not seeing any problems here currently.

Does it happen to you with all images or just some?

How much memory are you starting MapTool with?

Sabin Stargem
Cave Troll

Post by Sabin Stargem »

Let's see....okay, current memory stands at 26m, while total memory is set to 63. I got several sets of Tokens to employ, including Devin's, the 2.xgb Token collection, the Dicebox d100, which has it's own folder, and a Keep on Shadowfell set. Testing...

#1 - Devin's Hi-Res Tokens (Works)
#2 - 2gb Collection (Fail)
#3 - d100 (fail)
#4 - Keep on the Shadowfell (fail)
#5 - Devin (fail)

I think I got the gist of the problem. It seems that a particularly large set of icons can cause the error. I will now test this, by first going through less intensive icon sets.

#1 - Devin (Works)
#2 - Keep on the Shadowfell (Works)
#3 - d100 (Fail)
#4 - 2gb Collection (Fail)

#1 - 2gb Collection (Fail)

Huh. So it is either the Dicebox or the 2gb Collection that is mucking up the gears, somehow. Looking at the Dicebox file, it was made for v1.3 b34. Using v2.5 of Dicebox. Whenever I get the error, it causes all sets of Tokens to no longer accept the New Map Command, so it has some sort of overspill.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

New Map is used to select a single image (PNG, JPEG, BMP, etc.) and add a new map to the campaign. You wouldn't use it for tokens or directories of images. MapTool doesn't have any concept of "sets of tokens" and graphic images don't have an association with a particular build of MT.

You didn't answer the question about how much memory you are starting MapTool with.

If you have a particular image that always fails on a fresh start of MT, attach it to a post.

Sabin Stargem
Cave Troll

Post by Sabin Stargem »

It took some looking around to figure out where the Memory settings were, but here they are.

64 MIN
256 MAX
2 Stack

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

With 256MB, it is possible that you are trying to create a new map from an image that is too big. Especially if you have navigated to directory in the Resource Library that has a number of largish images. And size in the case does not refer to file size but to actual image dimensions.

Start MapTool and try to create a new map from one of the problem images using the Map menu and see if it works.

Sabin Stargem
Cave Troll

Post by Sabin Stargem »

Up until about now, it wasn't behaving too well. Ever since I fiddled with the Memory settings (to test if altering memory levels can reduce problems, though it didn't at the time, so I set them back to the default), it has been working. The case isn't necessarily closed, but it has miraculously been working better. :?

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Unfortunately the lines numbers have changed slightly since the original stack trace. However from what I can tell it was having an issue with grabbing the image.

The image retrieval system has been updated for 1.3b57/58. I've been trying several things to get it to fail, but it has been working correctly. Please post back here if you still get it with 1.3b58/59
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Return to “Resolved”