internet connection at start

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice, MapTool BugReport Manager

Ricco
Kobold

internet connection at start

Post by Ricco »

Hi,

Why Maptool does an internet connection to you when we start the application or load a campaign ?
Like my firewall didn't permit it, I have to wait until the TCP timeout occur.

How is it possible to remove this connection ?

Phergus
Deity

Re: internet connection at start

Post by Phergus »

It doesn't make an "internet connection". It starts a personal, private server so that the client (the gui interface you see) has something to work with.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

He might be referring to MapTool trying to reach www.rptools.net at startup due to the default repository configuration. (At least, I think that's why.)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Could be. MT probably shouldn't do that unless the user actually starts a server.

Ricco - You can delete the default repository out of Campaign Properties and then save your campaign. This will keep it from trying to access the the repository the next time you load the campaign.

Ricco
Kobold

Post by Ricco »

I think about this after post here but not get time to check. I think you are in true :)

We can't launch maptool without the default configuration and into it we have one default repository.

Ricco
Kobold

Post by Ricco »

the problem still here when you create a new campaign.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

As MT starts up with an empty campaign that includes the RPTools.net repository there isn't going to be much you can do about it.

If you have a live internet connection then it really shouldn't impact you as it will happen without any interaction from you. If you are in a private lan with no internet access it will fail quietly without any notice.

Not sure why you would want to firewall MT as the network connectivity is kind of the point.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

You could always add a static definition for www.rptools.net. You wouldn't lose the ability to register a server using an RPTools alias, since that connection uses services.rptools.net, IIRC.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

This is definitely a bug, in that it shouldn't fail like this, or at least should be configured not to.

moving to bug forum
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

I've removed the RPTools gallery from the default repo list, which should cut down on the connection issues when disconnected.

Instead, I've added a convenient "Add RPTools Gallery Index" button that adds it in, if you want it.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Return to “Resolved”