Items

Discussion of and general support for d20 D&D, including 3.0E and 3.5E and derivatives.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Ryuu Kage Desu
Cave Troll

Items

Post by Ryuu Kage Desu »

Restarting his topic from here because it seems like the most likely preexisting tool to do what I'm asking.
I wrote:Just took another look at my pages upon pages of items, and my huge table of equipment. My system accounts for different materials and enhancements.
Now I'm thinking of a program that would hold item types, materials, enhancements, etc., and there values. Allowing them to be mixed. A "random" option would also be nice. Perhaps, as an extra, allow for an image to be attached and dropped in to maptools.
I doubt the underlined bit could be worked in very well so it can be ignored.
I also wrote:Basically what I'm dealing with is, instead of having just plate armor, my system accounts for say plate carved from wood, then spikes thrown on it, and then spelled with ironwood. Each step and material alters the stats of the item, so I'll be happy if I can choose five or more options and all the stats are calculated.
So how well can it work?
Overcome your mental barriers and open your mind.
Do this and the answers that elude you will be placed at your feet.
Then again, answers are meaningless without the questions.

plothos
Great Wyrm

Re: Items

Post by plothos »

I have an inventory manager (link in sig) that might be of some use. I have it currently set with 3.5 items, but it can be tweaked, and I plan to flesh out database manipulation. Anyway, it does also have a field available that holds a json object called "UseInfo" that can store pretty much any item info you'd like. You'd have to customize the code or wait till I get around to making that more universally accessible/customizable. But it might be a start point for ya.
Drop-In Utilities:
My Spell Manager for D&D3.5 and PFRPG
My Inventory Manager for D&D and PFRPG, but more generally useable than that.
My Message Manager -- My Top-Down D&D Token Images
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

CT already has a database that you can fill with your different parts. Then you would have to create the screens to let the user choose. You could write scripts to determine what goes with what (spikes can go on plate armor, but not on padded armor) to make sure a user creates a legal item. I usually implement a modifiers database that attaches modifiers to character stats (like AC) and then attach them to the different parts. These modifiers are attached automatically to their statistics which has scripts to total them taking into account stacking and other game specific functions.

I do something like this for the 4e file I have. There is a list of items that the characters can equip (like longsword). You can attach one of the magic abilities that is valid for that type of weapon (Frost Weapon +2). When the player equips the +2 Frost Longsword he will automatically get the +2 added to his attack roll and damage roll and automatically gets the new powers associated with a Frost Weapon.

Ryuu Kage Desu
Cave Troll

Post by Ryuu Kage Desu »

Nice file, plothos, though not quite what I'm looking for.

That's what I'm thinking at this point jay. My issue is that all I know about the character tool is how to open it. Any tutorials?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Look at all of the adopter's threads in this forum. They talk about creating the game settings files used by CT & IT. You can use the D&D 4e file as a starting point. Post any questions you have in those threads and I'll try to answer them for you.

Ryuu Kage Desu
Cave Troll

Post by Ryuu Kage Desu »

To Azhrei, concerning the locked topic, that's fine. I thought the topics would have been merged.

I'll do that Jay.

Edit. My computer ether hates me or the programs. I can't get any of the new downloads to work. :evil:

Return to “Support: d20 D&D”