Error loading character tool build 15

Discussion of and general support for d20 D&D, including 3.0E and 3.5E and derivatives.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Imednoc
Kobold

Error loading character tool build 15

Post by Imednoc »

Hello,

I get an error stating: Unable to load the current settings file or one of the source files. The default settings have been loaded instead.

This message appears when I start the program. I can load it using the JAR file though.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Error loading character tool build 15

Post by Azhrei »

Imednoc wrote:This message appears when I start the program. I can load it using the JAR file though.
I'm not sure what that statement means.

The JAR file is the "Java ARchive" and is the application itself. It should not be unpacked or unarchived anywhere -- just double-click it to run the program.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Maybe he means by when he downloads the zip file and executes it directly?

There is a very odd bug when using Web Start that I can't seem to figure out. It only happens to some people and the people it happens to are different from build to build. It's almost like the file is corrupted on the download. But why is the file only corrupted only for Web Start and always in a data file contained in the jar? If this happens, the suggested fix it to download the zip file and run it that way. The zip file always downloads correctly. I just can't seem to figure it out. :(

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

We talked about this in another thread, I think. It may be that the JIDE panels expect that the getFormAccessor() require the window to be realized before they can be called. Since they're called during construction of the component, perhaps the window peer doesn't exist yet?

I remember seeing the failure in the init() method of a class that started with an "S" (SelectionPanel?) and that was called by the constructor. It was a NPE IIRC.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I looked into that when you mentioned it, but the failure came when trying to load it into a class that was already initialized. The Abeille stuff doesn't require a frame to initialize, so I wouldn't think it needs a real peer that soon.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Ah, I think it was line 208 (or 210) from chartool.ui.component.AbstractDialog:

Code: Select all

((FormLayout) panel.getFormContainer().getLayout()).setRowSpec(2, new RowSpec("0px")); 
If that generates an NPE, we can determine which reference must be null.

It's not panel since the form was loaded successfully and that's what panel refers to.

Following the code for getFormContainer() I find this method from FormComponent:

Code: Select all

/**
    * Returns the GridView that is associated with this form.
    * @return the child view associated with this component
    */
   public GridView getChildView()
   {
      JETABean bean = getBean();
      if ( bean != null )
      {
     return (GridView)bean.getDelegate();
      }
      return null;
   } 
Note the bean.getDelegate(). While this isn't always the case, I'm use to seeing delegates used as a way to defer the creation of a bean until it's actually needed. This method returns null unless the bean already exists and I'll bet that it doesn't at the point it's called in this code. It doesn't exist yet because this method is invoked inside the constructor, before the component's peer is realized (i.e. made visible and thus allocated by the platform's GUI). Until the peer is created, the BasicUI classes are not invoked which means many of the drawing style questions must be deferred.

I don't know why an extracted ZIP file would be different though, but it may lie in the ClassLoader used by Web Start vs. local execution; the latter one may be more aggressive in finding and loading class dependencies.

Imednoc
Kobold

Post by Imednoc »

jay wrote:Maybe he means by when he downloads the zip file and executes it directly?

There is a very odd bug when using Web Start that I can't seem to figure out. It only happens to some people and the people it happens to are different from build to build. It's almost like the file is corrupted on the download. But why is the file only corrupted only for Web Start and always in a data file contained in the jar? If this happens, the suggested fix it to download the zip file and run it that way. The zip file always downloads correctly. I just can't seem to figure it out. :(

This is the zip file I downloaded. I normally use the launch chartool.bat file, but using that gives me the error.

Return to “Support: d20 D&D”