Feats

Discussion of and general support for d20 D&D, including 3.0E and 3.5E and derivatives.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Valthonis
Kobold

Feats

Post by Valthonis »

I don't know if it is just something I am missing, but is there a way to add feats to a character created in CharacterTool? I am trying to use the d20 3.5 sheet and can see no room to add feats. I am trying to use this tool to keep multiple characters updated simultaneously for a game I am running with friends scattered throughout the US, so having all the stats and info in 1 spot would be greatly helpful.

Thanks,
Val

jay
RPTools Team

Re: Feats

Post by jay »

Support for feats hasn't been added to d20. When I wrote the game settings file the tool didn't have all of the support needed to do this, and after 4e came out I haven't improved the d20 stuff. It should be possible to copy the 4e feat support back to the d20 support since there isn't that big of a difference in the mechanism.

Valthonis
Kobold

Post by Valthonis »

Ok, Thank you. I have been working on copying the feats across to d20 but it is going to take a little bit of work. Once I get it done, assuming it works, would it be ok for me to submit it to the User Created forums? Also, when i try rezipping the rpgame file and renaming it to a .rpgame, it is no longer readable by CT. should it be a different base filetype, such as .rar?

Thanks,
Val

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

You wouldn't zip just the feat files, but all of the files that were in the d20 rpgame file as well. Your feat file would go into the property/database directory. Your new properties go in the property/propertyDescriptorSet.xml file. See the Adopter posts in the CT forum for details.

llatpog
Kobold

Post by llatpog »

Any word on this upgrade for 3.5 on adding feats? Is there anything that someone like myself can do to help?

Also, for the 4e version, I have the ability to pick out what weapons and gear I have...and it calculates weight and armor bonuses/minues. Any chances this will get added as well?

After playing 4e for a few months...we have all decided to go back to 3.5. Right now, I am just writing everything down in the Notes Section. I really liked using this tool for 4e...so I am just hoping it works out for 3.5.

gruzjmal
Kobold

Post by gruzjmal »

llatpog wrote:Any word on this upgrade for 3.5 on adding feats? Is there anything that someone like myself can do to help?

Also, for the 4e version, I have the ability to pick out what weapons and gear I have...and it calculates weight and armor bonuses/minues. Any chances this will get added as well?

After playing 4e for a few months...we have all decided to go back to 3.5. Right now, I am just writing everything down in the Notes Section. I really liked using this tool for 4e...so I am just hoping it works out for 3.5.
I am in the same boat - running a 3.5 game and would like to have feats and items working for the character tool. Has anyone spent the time to add these features in for the d20 3.0/3.5 character sheets?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I will add the support to the game settings file. But I need somebody to actually enter in all of the feats. It is fairly simple unless you need to script a feat for some reason. IT is even fairly easy to add modifiers for feats that grant them. Any volunteers?

Divine_Referee
Kobold

Post by Divine_Referee »

jay wrote:I will add the support to the game settings file. But I need somebody to actually enter in all of the feats. It is fairly simple unless you need to script a feat for some reason. IT is even fairly easy to add modifiers for feats that grant them. Any volunteers?
I'll do it... but I make no gurantees if any of them require scripting, except that if I don't get the scripting, I will put a note on it somewhere.

I'm going to add every feat I can find and I have over 150 PDF E-Books, so please pardon any delay.

if you want a copy of these books, visit my online stash at http://www.4shared.com/dir/9515291/76b7 ... aring.html
--Omen
the Divine Referee

My Online Stash of D&D (3.0/3.5) and D20 Stuff
http://www.4shared.com/dir/9515291/76b7 ... aring.html

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Thank you. I'll try to add support for them into the file for you before Monday.

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

That would be great Jay. I may do some also.
--
Big Mac

Divine_Referee
Kobold

Post by Divine_Referee »

jay wrote:Thank you. I'll try to add support for them into the file for you before Monday.
Glad I can help... it's only fair for me to contribute to those who offer a great free tool (or set of tools) that I use.

Random pic of the day (token available at my online stash)
--Omen
the Divine Referee

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I've got the feat support added to the d20 Fantasy game settings file. It is in the gallery here. I'm still working on the editor, so you will have to edit it with a text editor. Unzip the file and look for the file property/database/feat.rpdat. At the bottom I added two feats. You can just copy them and edit them for your own feats (see code below). If you have a long description/benefit/normal/special element be sure to keep it on one line. If you don't, you get weird spaces in the display components.

The Acrobatics feat has modifiers defined for it. You can add modifiers to the file named property/database/modifier.rpdat. At the bottom of that file you will see the 2 modifiers for the Acrobatics feat listed above (see code below). Only feats that change one of the properties listed in the property/propertyDescriptorSet.xml file need modifiers, the rest can ignore them. Feats and modifiers are tied together if they have the same <modifierSetName> element.

When you want to test your edits just zip up the directory where you unzipped the game settings file originally and then you should be able to load it into CT or IT. Try to keep the feats from the different source books separate using <!-- xml comments -->. This way I can split them into separate source files later. The next build of CT & IT will support selecting multiple source files to load along with the base game file.

Details for the file layouts are in the Adoptors: threads in the Character Tool forum. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me here or on AIM. And thanks again for your help!

Feat definitions in property/database/feats.rpdat:

Code: Select all

<feat>
    <name>Acrobatic</name>
    <type>General</type>
    <description>You have excellent body awareness and coordination</description>
    <benefit>You get a +2 bonus on all Jump checks and Tumble checks.</benefit>
    <modifierSetName>feat.acrobatics</modifierSetName>
  </feat>
  <feat>
    <name>Exotic Weapon Proficiency</name>
    <type>General</type>
    <description>Choose a type of exotic weapon, such as a dire flail or shuriken (See table 7-5: Weapons, page 116, for a list of exotic weapons). You understand how to use that type of exotic weapon in combat.</description>
    <prerequisiteText>Base attack bonus +1 (Str 13 for bastard sword or dwarven waraxe).</prerequisiteText>
    <prerequisiteMet>gte(root.baseAttack, 1)</prerequisiteMet>
    <benefit>You make attack rolls with the weapon normally.</benefit>
    <normal>A character who uses a weapon with which he or she is not proficient takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls.</normal>
    <special>You can gain Exotic Weapon Proficiency multiple times. Each time you take the feat it applies to a new type of exotic weapon. Proficiency with the bastard sword or dwarven waraxe has an additional prerequisite of Str 13. A fighter may select Exotic Weapon Proficiency as on of his fighter bonus feats.</special>
    <optionRequired>'exotic weapon'</optionRequired> 
  </feat>

Modifier definitions in property/database/modifier.rpdat:

<modifier>
    <name>feat.acrobatics.0</name>
    <appliedTo>jump</appliedTo>
    <source>Acrobatics</source>
    <bonus>2</bonus>
    <stack>false</stack>
  </modifier>
  <modifier>
    <name>feat.acrobatics.1</name>
    <appliedTo>tumble</appliedTo>
    <source>Acrobatics</source>
    <bonus>2</bonus>
    <stack>false</stack>
  </modifier>

Divine_Referee
Kobold

Post by Divine_Referee »

Awesome! I'll look at it tomorrow and start working on it.

Pic of the day, available at my online stash...
--Omen
the Divine Referee

Divine_Referee
Kobold

Post by Divine_Referee »

I need to verify that this would work...

For a feat that has another feat as a prerequisite, is the following example correct?

<feat>
    <name>Point Blank Shot</name>
    <type>General</type>
    <description>You are skilled at making well-placed shots with ranged weapons at close range</description>
    <benefit>You get a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls with ranged weapons at ranges up to 30 feet.</benefit>
    <special>A fighter may take this feat as one of his fighter bonus feats</special>
    <modifierSetName>feat.pointblankshot</modifierSetName>
  </feat>
  <feat>
    <name>Precise Shot</name>
    <type>General</type>
    <description>You are skilled at timing and aiming ranged attacks</description>
    <benefit>You can shoot or throw ranged weapons at an opponent engaged in melee without taking the standard -4 penalty on your attack roll</benefit>
    <special>A fighter may take this feat as one of his fighter bonus feats</special>
    <prerequisiteText>Point Blank Shot</prerequisiteText>
    <prerequisiteMet>gte(feat.pointblankshot)</prerequisiteMet>
    <modifierSetName>feat.presiseshot</modifierSetName>
  </feat>
Pic of the day available at my online stash...
--Omen
the Divine Referee

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Use this line instead:

<prerequisiteMet>inList(root.feats, "Point Blank Shot", "name")</prerequisiteMet>
It will search through the list of feats for a feat named "Point Blank Shot".

Return to “Support: d20 D&D”