Feats PHB2, MP, FRPG & AP

Discussion of and support for D&D 4e.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

YmerejO42
Kobold

Re: Feats PHB2, MP, FRPG & AP

Post by YmerejO42 »

I tried adding them in manually, pretty much the way you mentioned, having the player pick which Soul they wanted at character creation... But for some reason, it wouldn't apply the ability or skill modifiers. It got the powers, but nothing else. I finally got disgusted and just deleted it all.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

After you setup the manifestation in feats, you then need to change the modifier data to reflect the items to be modified.
Time-Zone information UTC -5

YmerejO42
Kobold

Post by YmerejO42 »

I did... The powers came up perfectly, the ability and skill modifiers wouldn't show up.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

If you send me your files I'll take a look at them and see if I can figure out what the problem is.

YmerejO42
Kobold

Post by YmerejO42 »

You've already downloaded them from my other thread. Thanks, Jay.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

After I got the file you posted in the other thread to load, it did load a +2 bonus for STR & INT and Endurance & Nature. It did that for all of the Genasi.

If the mods are the same for all of the different types, it might be easier to just create one Genasi race and let the user select the type as a feat. That is what I did with the class options, but I think the way that you did it is a little more descriptive on a character sheet. I split it out like you did for the Shifter races, but they had a whole different set of modifiers for each type. The problem with the Genasi would be in creating things like the feat prerequisite scripts. Testing for all the Genasi races could be a pain.

YmerejO42
Kobold

Post by YmerejO42 »

The ability and skill mods are the same no matter what soul. The Elemental Manifestation is different for each soul, though, plus they each get a different racial power. So to me, it made sense to do it this way.

I didn't even get all the Manifestation powers in, because some of them I wasn't sure how to enter into the files. For example, the Earthsoul gets a +1 to all saving throws. I couldn't find anything in the modifiers file to cover that, so I didn't enter it.

I guess that you could do it as a feat, but then you'd have to remember to give that player a free feat when they create the character, and again I'm not sure how to go about doing that.

I made the racial names as descriptive as possible to help with any checking that I might have to enter into other files, same as the Shifter was done. In fact, that was what I based the stuff I did for the Genasi on. Well, I used the Dragon Breath power as the basis for Earthshock and Firepulse. Thanks to whoever did those.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I thought about it some more and I think the way you did it is the best. It gives you the most flexibility when defining other data related to the races and it looks better on a character sheet.

Is the Manifestation power a power that does it for just a short period or is it just a racial bonus? If it is a racial bonus it works this way:

Code: Select all

<modifier>
    <name>race.genasiEarthsoul.5</name>
    <appliedTo>resistances</appliedTo>
    <modifierSetName>race.genasiEarthsoul</modifierSetName>
    <type>Saving Throw</type>
    <source>Any</source>
    <bonus>1</bonus>
  </modifier>
If it is a power and just adds a temporary bonus I've just been letting the player do that manually. I think I have enough support in the file to add things like this automatically, but I've not entered any scripts for any powers.

Getting an extra feat isn't a problem because CT doesn't control the number of feats you can have. Nothing special needs to be done.

YmerejO42
Kobold

Post by YmerejO42 »

Here's the page for Genasi, it shows everything but the Windsoul power.
Attachments
Genasi.zip
(140.6 KiB) Downloaded 106 times

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I took a look at the description you sent me and it may be that feats are better since you can have more than one different manifestation. It isn't possible to have two races but it is possible to have two different manifestation 'feats'. The paragraph that makes me think this is this one:
Elemental Manifestation: Choose one elemental manifestation: earthsoul, firesoul, stormsoul, watersoul, or windsoul. That manifestation is part of your nature. (The Extra Manifestation feat, page 133, lets you add additional manifestations and change your manifestation.) Each elemental manifestation offers particular benefits and provides an associated encounter power. Your appearance changes based on the element you are manifesting.
I'd still have to figure out how to select one out of the whole bunch though...

YmerejO42
Kobold

Post by YmerejO42 »

Extra Manifestation [Genasi]
Prerequisite: Genasi
Benefit: Select a new genasi elemental manifestation: earthsoul, firesoul, stormsoul, watersoul, or windsoul. When you take a short rest or an extended rest, you can adopt this new elemental manifestation instead of the one you had been exhibiting.
Special: You can take this feat multiple times, choosing a new manifestation each time. When you take a short rest or an extended rest, you can choose to switch between any of the elemental manifestations you know.
There's the feat, so you may be right... Have the GM make sure that they don't just take as many as they want.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

@Jay: How much of the PHB2 and subsequent data is in the newer version of CT? I have again started to work on typing up the info, but do not want to duplicate effort. Also, I am having problems with classes special Class Features from PHB2. How do I change the AC to Con instead of Dex/Int for Earthstrength Wardens? Allow the Sorcerer to change the type of dmg/resistance? Stuff like specific weapon proficiencies and not groups.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

neofax wrote:@Jay: How much of the PHB2 and subsequent data is in the newer version of CT? I have again started to work on typing up the info, but do not want to duplicate effort.
All of the races are listed, but I don't think the modifiers have been created. The Barbarian class is complete & the sorcerer class has been defined, but only has the level 1 powers. The Weapon Expertise and Goliath Greatweapon Prowess feats have been defined.
neofax wrote:Also, I am having problems with classes special Class Features from PHB2. How do I change the AC to Con instead of Dex/Int for Earthstrength Wardens? Allow the Sorcerer to change the type of dmg/resistance?
Not sure about these, I'll need to take a look.
neofax wrote:Stuff like specific weapon proficiencies and not groups.
For a feat or for a class? For a Class you just list the weapon name. To see how it is done in a feat look for the Weapon Proficiency feat from the PHB file.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

jay wrote:
neofax wrote:Stuff like specific weapon proficiencies and not groups.
For a feat or for a class? For a Class you just list the weapon name. To see how it is done in a feat look for the Weapon Proficiency feat from the PHB file.
I was thinking of class like Wizards can only use staffs(IIRC) and such. Right now, I don't see where this is. I understand a DM can see this and fix the token, but it should have the capability to not allow classes to not be proficient in a weapon unless they take the feat.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

That is in the class definitions. It can contain either a weapon name or weapon group.

Return to “Support: D&D 4e”