Development status?

Discussion of and support for D&D 4e.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

jay
RPTools Team

Re: Development status?

Post by jay »

The editor shouldn't matter, they are just plain text files. Could you email me your file? Or post the changes you made to the existing one here? I'll take a look and see if I can figure out what the problem is.

I don't suggest making changes in the .chartool directory as CT may delete it, or download the file and overwrite what you have done. To access your file go to Game->Select Game... then hit the browse button and choose your file. Change to it and then hit OK. (I think that's right, I'm typing these instructions from memory)

Tinmanjr
Kobold

Post by Tinmanjr »

<race>
<name>Goliath</name>
<averageHeight>7'2"-7'8"</averageHeight>
<averageWeight>280-340 lbs.</averageWeight>
<abilityBonuses>+2 Strength, +2 Constitution</abilityBonuses>
<size>Medium</size>
<speed>6</speed>
<vision>Normal</vision>
<languages>Common, Dwarven, Giant</languages>
<skillBonuses>+2 Athletics, +2 Nature</skillBonuses>
<features><![CDATA[
<b>Mountain's Tenacity:</b> You have +1 racial bonus to Will.
<b>Powerful Athlete:</b> When you make an Athletics check to jump or climb, roll twice and use either result
<b>Stone's Endurance:</b> You gain resist 5 to all damage until the end of your next turn.
]]></features>
<modifierSetName>race.goliath</modifierSetName>
</race>

That was my entry for the Goliath class using the existing entry method for the other races and all.

As for how to use the changed file in CT. After making the edits, I zipped the files into dnd4e.zip and then changed it to dnd4e.rpgame. I browsed for the file and...... CT said it was not a valid file. What do I need to do? I really enjoy the MT and CT and would love to use these to play again with my old DM who now lives 10 hours away.

FYI, when posted, the necessary indentation did not appear. I did edit this precisely as you did when you created the original file.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I'm away from my home computer but it certainly looks correct. When you unzipped the RPGame file did you keep the directory structure? The dnd4e file should only have one file in the root directory when you create it, the rest will be directories. Also, when you zipped it back up did you have it save the directories? The directories are required.

Tinmanjr
Kobold

Post by Tinmanjr »

Alright now you lost me.....

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Sorry about that. :oops:

Email me your zip file to the address at the bottom of the post. I'll take a look at it and see if the problem is in there.

Tinmanjr
Kobold

Post by Tinmanjr »

Nothing shows on my end, bro.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I think he means the email link/icon under his avatar on the right (I'm assuming you're using the prosilver theme).

Tinmanjr
Kobold

Post by Tinmanjr »

I am using the default, whatever that is. All I see under his avatar is his posting number and a icon which says if he is on or offline. There is also a PM button but I dont think that is what he meant.

Pug
Kobold

Post by Pug »

Hi guys, I was wondering if you could help me out.

I've extracted the data from the rpgame file and edited it but I'm not sure how to go about compressing it again without corrupting it or making it unstable. Is there a particular compression method I should be using?

Thanks in advance.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

All of the RPTools applications store their data in ZIP format. Whatever tool you used to unpack the original ZIP file should be able to repack ordinary files back into a ZIP. (At least, most of the utilities I've seen will both read and write ZIP archives, but YMMV.)

Tinmanjr
Kobold

Post by Tinmanjr »

Pug wrote:Hi guys, I was wondering if you could help me out.

I've extracted the data from the rpgame file and edited it but I'm not sure how to go about compressing it again without corrupting it or making it unstable. Is there a particular compression method I should be using?

Thanks in advance.
Same problem I am having that Jay is working on.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Make sure that you keep the directory structure in the zip file.
Tinmanjr wrote:Same problem I am having that Jay is working on.
Did you send me your files? I sent you the wrong email address earlier, check your pm for the proper one. There should also be an e-mail button underneath my posts.

Pug
Kobold

Post by Pug »

I think the problem in my case is my computer doesn't consider rpgame a valid ZIP format. What I've been doing is compressing the directory using WinZIP, and then changing the file extension from ".zip" to ".rpgame". This is probably wrong and I'm sure there's a simpler way.

By the way if I can help with data entry for the 4ed databases just let me know. I'd like to help contribute to the Martial Power expansion if at all possible. I really like CT but many of my warlord's powers are from Martial Power so it would be helping me out in a way as well.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Pug wrote:I think the problem in my case is my computer doesn't consider rpgame a valid ZIP format. What I've been doing is compressing the directory using WinZIP, and then changing the file extension from ".zip" to ".rpgame". This is probably wrong and I'm sure there's a simpler way.
When I use Windows tools too look at the files that is how I do it as well. It works fine, as long as it is a ZIP format file. Within Eclipse I can generate them using ant and its tools which makes things easier.
Pug wrote:By the way if I can help with data entry for the 4ed databases just let me know. I'd like to help contribute to the Martial Power expansion if at all possible. I really like CT but many of my warlord's powers are from Martial Power so it would be helping me out in a way as well.
Thank you for your offer! You can start work on the Martial Power expansion right away, as nobody else has expressed interest. I hope to check in the code for the source support soon, but until that happens just copy the dnd4e.rpgame file off of the site and modify the data files in the property/database directory. You can add the XML to the RPData files and then when I get the source support done I'll convert it into a separate file for you. Just make sure that I can tell what you added vs. what is already in the data file. If there is anything else I can do to help, don't hesitate to ask.

Tinmanjr
Kobold

Post by Tinmanjr »

I dont know why, Jay, but I cant open an edited file in either .zip or .rpgame format. I dont know what the hell is going on especially since you were able to make it work with my file.

Return to “Support: D&D 4e”