Development status?

Discussion of and support for D&D 4e.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

schlosrat
Kobold

Development status?

Post by schlosrat »

Is there anyone actually working on this? If so, about where is it in the development process? I've got the DDI Character Builder Beta, but I really think that as an app that thing sucks so hard it blows. What I'd like to see is something that is (a) platform independent, (b) free, and (c) supported by dedicated users. Or, in other words, just like all your other tools =)

I know I found a 4e game file for this somewhere on the forum or gallery, but when I took it for a spin it still seemed pretty rough around the edges. Can someone link whatever we've got here? Or perhaps give some instruction on how to get it? I really do think that 4E support for this tool would be a great thing. That bloatware they're pushing over at WotC is really awful.

Thanks,
Steve

jay
RPTools Team

Re: Development status?

Post by jay »

We have a settings file that has all of the character data in it. It hasn't been completely tested, but I think it is all there. It's too big to post in the gallery any longer so that one is out of date. I've not been working actively on the tools for awhile as RL has gotten in the way, but I need to build what I had finished. That has a lot of data updates and some new PDF output functionality. Then you can start updating the file from there.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

jay wrote: I've not been working actively on the tools for awhile as RL has gotten in the way, but I need to build what I had finished..
World or Warcraft is not real, Jay. It is a game.. Fantasy.. Computerized.. Your level 80 is not real and you really don't own that epic gear. :lol: 8)
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Mortani
Giant

Post by Mortani »

dorpond wrote:
jay wrote: I've not been working actively on the tools for awhile as RL has gotten in the way, but I need to build what I had finished..
World or Warcraft is not real, Jay. It is a game.. Fantasy.. Computerized.. Your level 80 is not real and you really don't own that epic gear. :lol: 8)

Man, that's all my wife ever says! Are you related!?!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Mortani wrote:
dorpond wrote:
Man, that's all my wife ever says! Are you related!?!
Only by the phrase, "Great minds think alike." :mrgreen:

exedore6
Kobold

Post by exedore6 »

I'd like to help. I know I'm a little late to the party, I haven't gotten the rpgame file (I know it doesn't fit in the gallery. Is it uploaded somewhere?)

What can I do? I'm comfortable with XML, I can fake it with javascript. Never worked with chartool, but want to help out.

ronnaldo1749
Kobold

Post by ronnaldo1749 »

I too would love to get my hands on the 4e settings file but for the life of me I can't find it.

undyingdude
Kobold

Post by undyingdude »

Oh man. I've been looking for the dnd4e.rpgame archive for hours! :? Can anyone help me out?!

catsclaw227
Cave Troll

Post by catsclaw227 »

Yes, yes. Me too! I have been looking for the 4e settings file as well.

anticonnor
Kobold

Post by anticonnor »

I'm new to using MT and CT... is the CT app being developed to include more races/classes for 4e, or is there a reference file that I can alter to include the races/classes I need? I haven't been able to locate the Game Settings file that is discussed in several threads. Thanks!

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

First, welcome to the forums anticonnor!

The latest release of CT has the 4e game settings file built in. If you need the latest file so you can update then download it from the RPTools site here.

In the next version of CT I'm adding the ability to load secondary game settings files that I call source files. I'm thinking that these source files will have content from the other books. The data I'm working on now is Goliath & Barbarian from the PHB2. They were all I needed right now, so until I need more the PHB2 source file will be put on the back burner until the game settings file editor is finished. There isn't anybody else working on any other 4e data files that I know about. If you would like to help enter data I will gladly accept it :)

I'm still working on the editor so you still need to add races and classes by hand. Unzip the 4e file you downloaded into a directory. All the data files are in the property/database/ directory. The ones you want are race.rpdat & class.rpdat. To enter powers for your classes they go in power.rpdat. Modifiers for both the races and classes are kept in modifier.rpdat. Examples of each are below. You can modify these files directly and then zip them back up to use them. If you send them back to me when you're finished I'll add them to the base files so that other CT & IT users can make use of it.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me here or on AIM. Thanks for the help!

Race definition:

Code: Select all

<race>
    <name>Dragonborn</name>
    <averageHeight>6´2" – 6´8"</averageHeight>
    <averageWeight>220–320 lb.</averageWeight>
    <abilityBonuses>+2 Strength, +2 Charisma</abilityBonuses>
    <size>Medium</size>
    <speed>6</speed>
    <vision>Normal</vision>
    <languages>Common, Draconic</languages>
    <skillBonuses>+2 History, +2 Intimidate</skillBonuses>
    <features><![CDATA[
       <b>Dragonborn Fury:</b> When you’re bloodied, you gain a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls.
       <b>Draconic Heritage:</b> Your healing surge value is equal to one-quarter of your maximum hit points + your Constitution modifier.
       <b>Dragon Breath:</b> You can use dragon breath as an encounter power. 
    ]]></features>
    <modifierSetName>race.dragonborn</modifierSetName>    
  </race>
Class definition:

<class>
    <name>Cleric</name>
    <role>Leader. You lead by shielding allies with your prayers, healing, and using powers that improve your allies’ attacks.</role>
    <powerSource>Divine. You have been invested with the authority to wield divine power on behalf of a deity, faith, or philosophy.</powerSource>
    <keyAbilities>Wisdom, Strength, Charisma</keyAbilities>
    <armorProficiencies>Cloth, Leather, Hide, Chainmail</armorProficiencies>
    <weaponProficiencies>Simple Melee, Simple Ranged</weaponProficiencies> 
    <bonusToDefense>+2 Will</bonusToDefense>
    <firstLevelHitPoints>12 + Constitution Score</firstLevelHitPoints>
    <firstLevelHitPointScript>12 + root.con.current</firstLevelHitPointScript>
    <hitPointsPerLevel>5</hitPointsPerLevel>
    <healingSurges>7 + root.con.currentMod</healingSurges>
    <trainedSkills><![CDATA[<html>
      Religion. From the class skills list below, choose three more trained skills at 1st level. Class Skills: Arcana (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal
      (Wis), History (Int), Insight (Wis), Religion (Int)
    ]]></trainedSkills>  
    <buildOptions>Battle cleric, devoted cleric</buildOptions>
    <classFeatures>Channel Divinity, Healer’s Lore, healing word, Ritual Casting</classFeatures>
    <modifierSetName>class.cleric</modifierSetName>
    <implements>Holy Symbol</implements>
  </class>
Power definition:

<power>
    <name>Melee Basic Attack</name>
    <level>0</level>
    <source>Basic</source>
    <flavor>You resort to the simple attack you learned when you first picked up a melee weapon.</flavor>
    <type>At-Will</type> 
    <keywords>Weapon</keywords>
    <action>Standard</action>
    <attackTypeAndRange>'Melee weapon'</attackTypeAndRange>
    <requirementsMet>root.currentWeapon.melee</requirementsMet>
    <target>One creature</target>
    <attack>'Strength'</attack>
    <attackModifier>root.str.currentMod</attackModifier>
    <defense>AC</defense>
    <hit>1[W] + Strength modifier damage. Increase damage to 2[W] + Strength modifier at 21st level.</hit>
    <hitWeaponDamageMultiplier>if(gte(root.level, 21), 2, 1)</hitWeaponDamageMultiplier>
    <hitDamageModifier>root.str.currentMod</hitDamageModifier>
    <notes>You can use an unarmed attack as a weapon to make a melee basic attack.</notes>
  </power>
Modifier definition:

<modifier>
    <name>class.cleric.0</name>
    <appliedTo>will</appliedTo>
    <applies>eq(getIfExists("root.class.class.name", ""), source)</applies>
    <type>class</type>
    <source>Cleric</source>
    <bonus>2</bonus>
    <stack>true</stack>
  </modifier>
  <modifier>
    <name>class.cleric.1</name>
    <appliedTo>weapon.proficient</appliedTo>
    <applies>eq(getIfExists("root.class.class.name", ""), source)</applies>
    <type>class</type>
    <source>Cleric</source>
    <bonus>getIfExists("root.class.class.weaponProficiencies", " ")</bonus>
    <stack>true</stack>
  </modifier>

anticonnor
Kobold

Post by anticonnor »

This is great! I'll look into this more when I get home. I'm fairly new to DND in general and definitely new to DMing, so when my players were putting their characters together, I didn't really think to limit their races/classes to a set of realms/books, and their races/classes have gotten out of control! If I wanted to get really involved, I suppose I could include a menu dropdown in CT that will allow you to select which books are to be included as options during character creation, and populate the race, class etc. fields accordingly.

If I'm trying to use a multi or dual class, I assume that I will need to enter a descriptor in the class file for each combination I need, yeah?

Thanks again!

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

anticonnor wrote:This is great! I'll look into this more when I get home. I'm fairly new to DND in general and definitely new to DMing, so when my players were putting their characters together, I didn't really think to limit their races/classes to a set of realms/books, and their races/classes have gotten out of control! If I wanted to get really involved, I suppose I could include a menu dropdown in CT that will allow you to select which books are to be included as options during character creation, and populate the race, class etc. fields accordingly.
Just keep track of which race/class/power & their modifiers goes with which source book and I'll create the individual source files for you.
anticonnor wrote:If I'm trying to use a multi or dual class, I assume that I will need to enter a descriptor in the class file for each combination I need, yeah?
Multi-classing is done with feats in 4e. I don't think there is any support for them in the game settings files though, so all we have to do is add them.

Tinmanjr
Kobold

Post by Tinmanjr »

I worked on editing the race file using the examples, the commands for the other races in the files, and the instructions in one of the recent posts. The editing was done correctly and the file was zipped....then nada. The new race, Goliath by the way, was not selectable in the CharacterTool. What am I doing wrong? The dnd4e.zip was put into the .chartool folder where the other one was overwritten.

By the way, I was using Notebook++ to edit the files.

Tinmanjr
Kobold

Post by Tinmanjr »

I've tried using a couple of other editors and no luck. I am following directions to no avail. Please help, Jay. I am planning on running a game or two in which players will want to play as Bards, Swordmages, etc...

Return to “Support: D&D 4e”