Development status?

Discussion of and support for D&D 4e.

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Tinmanjr
Kobold

Re: Development status?

Post by Tinmanjr »

Alright, I got the edited .zip file recognized by CT. Now I am getting an error message that the race.rpdat couldnt load.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Tinmanjr wrote:Alright, I got the edited .zip file recognized by CT. Now I am getting an error message that the race.rpdat couldnt load.
Is it different from the one you sent me? The usual problem with the data files not loading is that there is a problem with the XML. Sometimes it isn't formatted correctly and sometimes the field information that is entered breaks a rule. If you run CT using the .bat files included in the CT download instead of using Web Start the exception causing the problem should be displayed in the console. If it does, post it here or email it to me and I'll see if I can fix it.

Pug
Kobold

Post by Pug »

I'm warming up with regards to the 4ed data entry scene, and I have a quick question:

I'm trying to add a race which takes a -2 penalty to powers and effects with the Cold keyword. I'm assuming this will require two modifier element entries in "modifier.rpdat", but what should I put between the <type> tags?
jay wrote:Thank you for your offer! You can start work on the Martial Power expansion right away, as nobody else has expressed interest. I hope to check in the code for the source support soon, but until that happens just copy the dnd4e.rpgame file off of the site and modify the data files in the property/database directory. You can add the XML to the RPData files and then when I get the source support done I'll convert it into a separate file for you. Just make sure that I can tell what you added vs. what is already in the data file. If there is anything else I can do to help, don't hesitate to ask.
I'll start on that tonight. With respect to making my amendments discernible from the rest of the documents, are comments at the start and end of new data enough?

EDIT: I've run into a new problem while implementing my new race. When I select the race from the drop down list in CT, the numbers and text are completely changed. For example, the name I had entered for my character was changed to "Brujan", and his Will defence should have been 17 (10+half-level (5), 2 for Ability) but was listed as 5. Has this happened to anyone before?

Tinmanjr
Kobold

Post by Tinmanjr »

I dont know what I was doing wrong, but I got it to work today. For some reason Notebook was screwing up the format but Notebook ++ kept it correct.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Pug wrote:I'm warming up with regards to the 4ed data entry scene, and I have a quick question:

I'm trying to add a race which takes a -2 penalty to powers and effects with the Cold keyword. I'm assuming this will require two modifier element entries in "modifier.rpdat", but what should I put between the <type> tags?
It doesn't really matter for penalties that stack. Just make sure you <stack>true</stack>. If there is something that it doesn't stack with then it should have that type.
Pug wrote:EDIT: I've run into a new problem while implementing my new race. When I select the race from the drop down list in CT, the numbers and text are completely changed. For example, the name I had entered for my character was changed to "Brujan", and his Will defence should have been 17 (10+half-level (5), 2 for Ability) but was listed as 5. Has this happened to anyone before?
I've never seen that. If you send me your updated game settings file I'll take a look and see if I can figure out the problem.

Pug
Kobold

Post by Pug »

jay wrote:I've never seen that. If you send me your updated game settings file I'll take a look and see if I can figure out the problem.
OK. Where can I find your email?

EDIT: When I was asking about racial modifiers, I meant to ask about limiting it to powers and effects which have the Cold keyword, nothing to do with <type> at all really. I don't suppose there is a way to restrict the penalties to attack bonuses with the Cold keyword is there?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Pug wrote:
jay wrote:I've never seen that. If you send me your updated game settings file I'll take a look and see if I can figure out the problem.
There should be a button labeled e-mail under this post. Lots of people have been asking this lately so if it isn't there could you tell me?
Pug wrote:EDIT: When I was asking about racial modifiers, I meant to ask about limiting it to powers and effects which have the Cold keyword, nothing to do with <type> at all really. I don't suppose there is a way to restrict the penalties to attack bonuses with the Cold keyword is there?
Right now there isn't a way to apply modifiers that apply for the currently executing power. This has come up before, but it isn't all that easy to implement so it hasn't been done yet. Let me think about it some more and see if I can get something working. I'll try to have it ready for the next build.

Pug
Kobold

Post by Pug »

jay wrote:
Pug wrote:
There should be a button labeled e-mail under this post. Lots of people have been asking this lately so if it isn't there could you tell me?
I can't see it. I'm using the Prosilver theme, in case that helps. Could you PM me your email instead?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Pug wrote:I'm using the Prosilver theme, in case that helps.
It's on the right, under his avatar. There's an image with a "PM" symbol an image with an envelope, and one with a guy running. Guess which one is the email link? ;)

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

@Azhrei: The only thing I see for Jay is a picture of the Initiative Tool (Hour Glass inside a blue cog) with some other info on the left side of the screen. Granted, there is a "PM" button along the bottom with quote, up to top and other buttons, but no e-mail button or address.
Time-Zone information UTC -5

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Hmm. Perhaps I can see it because I'm a mod? I can't review his profile preferences to determine if he has email access turned off (admins can't see/change the group known as "Founders"). Jay, would you care to check your board preferences?

Edit: Nope, it was the overall board settings themselves. Users were not allowed to send email to other users. I've turned that on. If people start getting spammed, I may have to turn it off again. :(

Zandari
Cave Troll

Post by Zandari »

I can see all three buttons under his avatar and user info.
Zandari

Pug
Kobold

Post by Pug »

I'm having more problems -- CT doesn't seem to be adding up the modifiers (namely -- I think -- proficiency and enhancement modifiers) that make up attack rolls correctly.

For example, a level 10 fighter with a strength of 20 and a magic +1 greatsword should be +14 (Abil: 5 + Half-level: 5 + Prof: 3 + Magic: 1), right? Well CT insists it's only +12.

Has anyone else had this problem? Have I been completely screwing up the XML? I'd like to know what's gone wrong.

EDIT: I'm sure it's CT adding up the enhancement and proficiency bonuses incorrectly. On the equipment tab, under "Equipped Items and Implements", alongside "Main Hand", it lists the proficiency bonus correctly, but instead of "To Hit" being +4 like it should, it says +2.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Pug wrote:I'm having more problems -- CT doesn't seem to be adding up the modifiers (namely -- I think -- proficiency and enhancement modifiers) that make up attack rolls correctly.

For example, a level 10 fighter with a strength of 20 and a magic +1 greatsword should be +14 (Abil: 5 + Half-level: 5 + Prof: 3 + Magic: 1), right? Well CT insists it's only +12.

Has anyone else had this problem? Have I been completely screwing up the XML? I'd like to know what's gone wrong.

EDIT: I'm sure it's CT adding up the enhancement and proficiency bonuses incorrectly. On the equipment tab, under "Equipped Items and Implements", alongside "Main Hand", it lists the proficiency bonus correctly, but instead of "To Hit" being +4 like it should, it says +2.
I just created a new character with the properties you listed and it got +14 as you expected. Is it possible that the character had armor or shield equipped that it wasn't proficient with? That is a -2 penalty.

If that isn't the problem then it may be with the character or it may be a problem with CT that I've already fixed. If you mail me the RPTok file I'll take a look and see if I can figure it out.

Pug
Kobold

Post by Pug »

jay wrote:I just created a new character with the properties you listed and it got +14 as you expected. Is it possible that the character had armor or shield equipped that it wasn't proficient with? That is a -2 penalty.

If that isn't the problem then it may be with the character or it may be a problem with CT that I've already fixed. If you mail me the RPTok file I'll take a look and see if I can figure it out.
It still adds it up incorrectly when he's holding nothing but a weapon. I expect it's a problem with the database changes I made, but other characters using the same database work things out fine. I'll send you the rptok and the zip file as well, in case the problem lies there.

Return to “Support: D&D 4e”