Installed with MapTool-1.10.4.msi...not working

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
etherio
Kobold

Installed with MapTool-1.10.4.msi...not working

Post by etherio »

I've used Maptool for many years, and I took a break for a bit. I was last running 1.5.14. I just downloaded and installed the latest update, but when I try to run the program, Nothing happens. I think I may have seen the briefest flash of a window pop up and disappear, but nothing else.

The installation seemed to proceed without any hitches. I've tried starting it from my start menu, with the desktop shortcut, and even running it as an admin. Nothing seems to work. I checked my task manager, and it isn't running. I'm using Windows 10.

Help! Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Installed with MapTool-1.10.4.msi...not working

Post by wolph42 »

in all likelihood you have an old version of MT still installed. Check installed progs first, then check the
C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Local\
directory for any installed MT remnants and remove those. Just to be sure also deinstall 1.10.4. When all is clean, reboot pc and install again.

etherio
Kobold

Post by etherio »

wolph42 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:25 am
in all likelihood you have an old version of MT still installed. Check installed progs first, then check the
C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Local\
directory for any installed MT remnants and remove those. Just to be sure also deinstall 1.10.4. When all is clean, reboot pc and install again.
It's been a while, so I think I was sort of confused about some things. Looking at my installed programs, I'm seeing a version 1.7 that I forgot about completely in my time away. I must have installed it just before taking a break from the hobby. But in the folder on my desktop out of which I used to run Maptool, there's a 1.5. Am I understanding correctly that the 1.5 wasn't an installed program and just ran from a jar file or something, while on the other hand the 1.7 was installed? I uninstalled the 1.7 and the new 1.10. I shouldn't have to mess with the 1.5 at all because it ran directly from the folder, correct?

Sorry about any awkward terminology. I'm not an expert.

etherio
Kobold

Post by etherio »

wolph42 wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:14 am
im not sure but i think you're correct
Thanks, your advice worked. I'm up and running!

Return to “MapTool”