OSX: How to change the stack size and memory usage options

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
mickytk
Kobold

OSX: How to change the stack size and memory usage options

Post by mickytk »

When using the OSX .dmg version of MapTools, I found that the easiest way to change the default stack size and memory usage options (you know, the ones we dont get an options dialogue to set?), is to do the following:

Right click (or Command-Click if you have a single button mouse) on the MapTools.app, and select "Show Package Contents"
Step 1
Step 1
maptool_step1.png (25.79 KiB) Viewed 10256 times
Find Info.plist in the package
Step 2
Step 2
maptool_step2.png (26.68 KiB) Viewed 10256 times
Right click (or Command-Click) on the Info.plist file, and select "Open With > TextEdit"
Step 3
Step 3
maptool_step3.png (38.02 KiB) Viewed 10257 times
Find the highlighted line in the script and alter the values to suit your requirements.
Step 4
Step 4
maptool_step4.png (43.53 KiB) Viewed 10256 times

Hope this simple little process will help my fellow mac users out there =)
RPGA: 7214037877
Timezone: UTC+10

keithcurtis
Giant

Re: OSX: How to change the stack size and memory usage options

Post by keithcurtis »

That looks very elegant. Does it solve the Java update problem, then? Because I'm upgrading to Snow Leopard tomorrow.

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

keithcurtis wrote:That looks very elegant. Does it solve the Java update problem, then? Because I'm upgrading to Snow Leopard tomorrow.
Yeah, if you use the DMG version this bypasses the Web Start issues.
Reed (halfling sorcerer P3) // Collin (human fighter P2) // Cine (eladrin psion H2)
Sirath (deva shaman H1) // Alesk (dragonborn cleric H3) // Kevin (halfling barbarian H1)

simonr43
Cave Troll

Post by simonr43 »

I've been trying to help someone edit the maptools file in order to set his stack size etc following these instructions (he's using a mac mini with OSX, not sure what version). he can open up the plist file, but is unable to save any changes. I guess it has something to do with read/write permissions, but never having used a Mac myself I'm a bit stumped. Any suggestions as o how to get this working?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

simonr43 wrote:he can open up the plist file, but is unable to save any changes. I guess it has something to do with read/write permissions
Weird. If he is the user that double-clicked the DMG and dragged the .app to his desktop, he should certainly be able to edit the .plist file...

I can't think of anything that would be a problem. Perhaps you can get some details from the user about what hes doing? Or ask him to register here and describe his process. I've got Tiger on my MacBook Pro and I just installed Leopard on an external drive so I can (hopefully) test with both of them now...

mickytk
Kobold

Post by mickytk »

I think its probably just a case of permissions.

If you do a Get Info on both the Maptools.app application, and the plist file inside it, you should be able to check that you have the necessary permissions to write the updated plist.
permissions.jpg
permissions.jpg (161.62 KiB) Viewed 10156 times

keithcurtis
Giant

Post by keithcurtis »

I just upgraded to Snow Leopard, and this method works beautifully. I did have to do some Googling to find out what the strings referred to, but it was a simple change.

Snow Leopard rocks, by the way.

simonr43
Cave Troll

Post by simonr43 »

Thanks for the quick responses. I suspect it is something to do with where he stored the file (he put it in its own folder, not on the desktop). He'll try again tonight following your advice, and i'll report back then,

Si

cha0tic
Kobold

Post by cha0tic »

It was me having the problems File editing. I've managed to sort it now.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Just so you know what I'd been doing, and in case it'll help anyone else:
I'd dicked around with all the permissions at various levels and got error code 195 a few times whilst trying that and 'ghosted' drop down menus telling me I could read write, but I couldn't.

*Confusion*

After reading the answers provided. I double clicked the .dmg. That opens it in a window with the Maptools.app (Maptools cog wheel icon) in. I dragged & dropped that from the window, to my desktop and could then do the show package contents thing and edit and save the file.

I didn't know it mattered where you save, or put stuff as to what permissions you get.

Thanks again for the help.

(If any one thinks it's worth while me reproducing the errors & describing them properly drop me a PM)
It's not about the GP or The XP, it's about the story.

zgrose
Cave Troll

Post by zgrose »

For the ease of a double-click and the convenience of WebStart you can also follow my instructions in this thread (http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 44#p125444) on how to make a little AppleScript launcher.

mickytk
Kobold

Post by mickytk »

Just realised that this method doesn't really work in the latest build of MapTool, because for some reason the new MapTool dmg doesn't contain a preferences file!

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

mickytk wrote:Just realised that this method doesn't really work in the latest build of MapTool, because for some reason the new MapTool dmg doesn't contain a preferences file!
Are you following the instructions as written? It's not at the top level of the .dmg; it's inside the app file. Right click on the app file and select "Show Package Contents," then open the Contents folder. The Info.plist file is right there.

I just checked both the original .dmg I built and a copy downloaded from the Web site. Both have the appropriate file in the right place.
Reed (halfling sorcerer P3) // Collin (human fighter P2) // Cine (eladrin psion H2)
Sirath (deva shaman H1) // Alesk (dragonborn cleric H3) // Kevin (halfling barbarian H1)

Engineer91
Kobold

Re: OSX: How to change the stack size and memory usage optio

Post by Engineer91 »

Thanks for the help on the memory issue guys. I'm pretty comfortable playing around with preferences and all that stuff. If there's a drop-out menu, I can usually fix the problem. But once you get into the more "raw" stuff, I get intimidated. I'm interested in putting this program onto my cloud server, and I really want it to work when I put it up live. Thanks for the walk through!
Last edited by Engineer91 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master of the universe

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: OSX: How to change the stack size and memory usage optio

Post by Azhrei »

Yeah, we really need to come up with a GUI front-end for OSX. The MapToolLauncher.exe that we have is Windows-only and it would be nice for the other platforms to have something similar.

Just not enough hours in a day...

Return to “MapTool”