Making a world map

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
acctingman
Kobold

Making a world map

Post by acctingman »

Hello!!

First post here so be gentle :D

I was wondering if someone has a "walkthrough" of sorts to show one how to make a world map.

I'd rather learn and make my own than use someone's and modify that...where is the fun in that, right?

Thanks!!

keithcurtis
Giant

Re: Making a world map

Post by keithcurtis »

acctingman wrote:Hello!!

First post here so be gentle :D

I was wondering if someone has a "walkthrough" of sorts to show one how to make a world map.

I'd rather learn and make my own than use someone's and modify that...where is the fun in that, right?

Thanks!!
It's not quite a walkthrough, but I recently did a blog entry on the map I did for Pinnacle Entertainment Group’s RPG, The Savage World of Solomon Kane. It might have some tips you can glean.
http://savageearth.net/wordpress/archives/148

Now, this is a map as a single graphic object. If you're looking to make a world map within Maptool, using Maptool's... tools, there are probably better qualified people to help.

acctingman
Kobold

Post by acctingman »

Thanks for that. That is an AWESOME map,but yes, it's a bit more than what I'm looking for, at this point in the game (me being a newb)

Thanks again!

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

You should go visit the Cartographers Guild.

Lots of great map making examples and advice.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Another comment - there are several programs out there that are designed to aid you with this. For world maps, I know of two programs, Campaign Cartographer and Fractal Mapper, that are designed specifically for drawing maps.

However, you don't really need them unless you want them. I've seen people use Photoshop, GIMP, Illustrator, and other graphics programs to do maps, so you have lots of options.

kazinsky
Giant

Post by kazinsky »

Or if you want to go a bit more generic, start up a hex map, download the hex-based tiles over in the User Created folder and go to town with a general overview of your world's regions. You'll have to use some of the drawing tools to make river lines and such, but that's just basic drawing stuff.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

That reminds me - there's also a great tool called "Hexographer" that makes old-school hex maps. You can see it here: http://www.inkwellideas.com/roleplaying ... xographer/

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

There are several free hex-based mappers plus there is AutoRealm which is similar to CampaignCartographer.

Return to “MapTool”