GM not as Host

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Aemon
Kobold

GM not as Host

Post by Aemon »

Some friends and I are looking to start a D&D game over the internet using maptools. The GM is in a situation where he does not have access to his router settings and cannot host a game. I am capable of hosting the game just fine. I set up the server with me as a player and the GM joined as the GM. However, he cannot load the files he has created for the game. Is it possible to play using this set-up? Or are we going to have to find a way around the GM's hosting issues?

Thanks.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: GM not as Host

Post by Azhrei »

Only the server can load a campaign (currently) so he'd have to send you the campaign file for you to load. Note that he can save the campaign however when the session is over.

DrVesuvius
Giant

Post by DrVesuvius »

If your GM trusts you to be honest, you can load up the campaign and start the server as GM, minimise MapTool then start a second MapTool session on the same machine which can connect to the first as a Player. If for some reason you need to load a new campaign mid-session, you can fire up the Server session and do so then minimise it again.

I've been hosting the server for a game I'm playing in where the GM is stuck using a mobile broadband connection. I use a second PC for my player session, but otherwise it's the same setup as above and it seems to work well.

Chrest
Cave Troll

Post by Chrest »

My group plays this way every week; my GM sends me the campaign file half an hour before game time. I open the file, start the server as a Player, and then everyone else logs in, with our GM logging in as a GM (obviously). It works fine, although obviously my GM has to trust me not to go poking around in the campaign file. At the end of the night, our GM saves the file to her computer, and I save a copy to my computer just so we have a backup. We've been keeping up with the latest versions of MapTool, and I can't recall having any serious issues since at least b53.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

Or, you can let me know before hand and I can host it on my server that is setup specifically for this. Azhrei and ryvencydrelle can attest to it working.

Return to “MapTool”