[b60] New Add Resource Feature questions/confusion

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Chrest
Cave Troll

[b60] New Add Resource Feature questions/confusion

Post by Chrest »

I've been playing with the new Add Resource feature in b60, and I'm either not using it properly, or I'm encountering a bug; I'm not quite sure which. Here are a few things I've tried:

Test1
1) Start local web server.
2) Open MapTool, drag a few assets (both rptoks and images) to the map.
3) File->Export->Campaign Repository. Save zip file to folder hosted by web server.
4) File->Add Resource to Library. Select the URL option. Put in "test1" for the name, and put in http://localhost/~path/to/zipfile.zip for URL.
5) "test" now shows up under the Resource Library, but is empty except for an "assets" folder, which is also empty. I would expect it to contain the images and tokens that were on the map at the time I exported the repository.

Test2
1) Start web server, as before.
2) Grab a bunch of jpeg files from anywhere, zip them up (manually, not within MapTool), place them into the hosted folder.
3) Open MapTool, select File->Add Resource to Library. Same as before, put in the path to the zip file in question through http://localhost , put "test2" in the Name field.
4) The folder will show up, and contains all the images (along with an empty "assets" folder, as before).

So, downloading zipped campaign repositories don't seem to work for me, but downloading a manually-created zip file of images seems to work just fine. This next bit I think may be a bug:

1) After performing Test2, remove the "test2" folder from the Resource Library.
2) Re-do Test1, except use "test2" in the Name field rather than "test1" when importing. But, use the URL for the zipfile you've just created (i.e. the just-exported campaign repository). So you're importing a new zip file, but giving it the same name as a folder you previously added and then removed from the library.
3) At least for me, the folder shows up, but it will contain the images from the "test2" zip file (that is, the manually-created file full of jpeg images), rather than from the file whose URL I just entered (that is, the campaign repository zip file).

So, am I doing something wrong, or am I encountering a bug, or am I just not using the feature the way it was meant to be used?

OS X 10.5.8, latest Java.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Re: [b60] New Add Resource Feature questions/confusion

Post by dorpond »

I don't think Trevor designed this new feature to work with the exported repository files. The whole purpose of the new feature is to make art packs and such -to share artwork easily. Actually, this all came to surface because we wanted to include artwork in Maptool (Torstan's) but not inflate the application download. We like the fact that MT is a pretty small download. This method allowed us to keep MT small but yet allow people to snag all the artwork they needed - easily.

So your method #2 is the way it should be done, by zipping up your artwork in the folders you want them to appear in your library.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Lindharin
Dragon

Post by Lindharin »

Three questions about this new feature:

1. What is the process if an art pack is updated? Say Torstan makes some changes to his backgrounds pack, what happens? It looks like MT did a one-time download of a zip file, and then the option for that specific art pack disappeared from the dialog. Is this tool version-aware and smart enough to know that if the art pack on the server is newer it should re-display that art pack, or would we need to manually remove the existing library first then re-add it again from scratch? If it does track versions, does it auto-download the updated one, or do we need to periodically go into the "Add Resource To Library" tool and see if something new is available?

2. I noticed that the downloaded art packs get stored in the .maptool/resource/<name> directory. That directory is not being removed when you remove the art pack from the resource library in MT, so all those files are being left on your hard drive (and in a normally hidden directory tree that most users won't know to check). Is that deliberate, or a bug? Could/should it prompt the user to ask if the files should be deleted?

3. How does a resource library interact with the asset cache? If everyone in the group downloads an art pack, and the GM adds some of that art to a campaign, will the players' MT clients still have to download those assets from the MT server when the campaign loads, or would it somehow know that the art is already available locally in the client's resource library and just take it from there?

Thanks!

PinkRose
Dragon

Post by PinkRose »

Would a designer be able to explain the Respository a bit more in-depth?
Does everyone have to download it?
What's the best way to update it each week?
How do you set it up so your group can gain access to it? Does the DM do it, or does each player run it?
I've been trying to work with it and I'm a lot confused.
Thanks in advance.
I am a special snowflake!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Lindharin wrote:3. How does a resource library interact with the asset cache? If everyone in the group downloads an art pack, and the GM adds some of that art to a campaign, will the players' MT clients still have to download those assets from the MT server when the campaign loads, or would it somehow know that the art is already available locally in the client's resource library and just take it from there?

I can't be sure, but everything under .maptool/resources should have a checksum that is calculated and stored by MapTool. That means that any time an image is needed by the client it will check its cache first before requesting the image from the server. I.e., there should be no download request from the server.

PinkRose wrote:Would a designer be able to explain the Respository a bit more in-depth?

I didn't writ it, but I think I can answer some of these. :)

Does everyone have to download it?

Do they have to? No, just like they don't have to download any other image -- the server will send it, if necessary.

What's the best way to update it each week?

Still need to hear from Trevor on this. My guess would be that the players have to visit the URL each week, but he'll need to answer this one.

How do you set it up so your group can gain access to it? Does the DM do it, or does each player run it?

"Gain access to it"? These are simply ZIP files on a web server some where. Just point the players to that URL and you're all set.

I've been trying to work with it and I'm a lot confused.
Thanks in advance.

Well, I guess I answered a couple of those. But I haven't actually looked at the code, hence my deference to Trevor on the "best way to update" question.

PinkRose
Dragon

Post by PinkRose »

What kind of storage site do you need exactly?
I have free web storage because I have comcast high-speed internet, but I wonder if that will work since you have to have a password to access it?

What are others using?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

MapTool i simply given a URL. If it's a URL that your players can access via a web browser, then it will work for MT.

PinkRose
Dragon

Post by PinkRose »

Thanks Azhrei.

Return to “MapTool”