Autosaves

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
bloodytv
Kobold

Autosaves

Post by bloodytv »

Quick question, where are autosaves stored on a Mac? My campaign file got corrupted somehow and I'm hoping that I can find the autosave somewhere buried...

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Autosaves

Post by Azhrei »

Same place as on every other system -- under the .maptool directory that's in your home directory.

Might be easiest to just type "autosave" into the Spotlight search field...

bloodytv
Kobold

Post by bloodytv »

That folder doesn't exist; I spent an hour searching for it using everything I could think of. I checked the application contents, the user folder, the user library, the system library, the whole harddrive. I searched for things like autosave, auto, save, cmpgn, map, dat, bak... I can't find it.

Autosave is turned on (it's set for every 5 minutes, a value I've never changed) but now that I think about it, maptools has never asked me to recover an autosave.

I will state that I'm on a MacBookPro2,2 running OS 10.5.8. I'm running Maptools 1.3b61.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

actually the ONLY time MT asks me to recover an autosave is when I start a 2nd instance of MT. I also encountered a bug here but I'll report that at the appriopriate place

CyrusStonecypher
Giant

Post by CyrusStonecypher »

I haven't touched a Mac in ages, but . . . are there settings for hidden files? Maybe the .maptool directory is hidden by default and so doesn't show up in the search.

Chrest
Cave Troll

Post by Chrest »

Yeah, files that start with a period are hidden by default under Mac OS X. I suggest doing the following:
1) Switch to the Finder
2) Select Go->Go to Folder...
3) Type "/Users/[yourusernamehere]/.maptool/" in the dialog that appears.

A new window will appear where you can access the .maptool folder, and everything in it, including autosaves. It'll disappear again if you close the window, but you can use the same process to get back to it.

bloodytv
Kobold

Post by bloodytv »

Strange, I thought I had it setup to show hidden files and folders...

Anyway, I found it and notice that there's both a backup folder and an autosave folder. The autosave folder is empty and the backup folder has two cmpgn files. I'm curious to know how the autosave feature actually works. I've got a suspicion on how it works but I'd like to know for sure. I've pretty much given up all hope of recovering my campaign.

Thanks!

Return to “MapTool”