Could not see your computer from the internet

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Michael Silverbane
Cave Troll

Could not see your computer from the internet

Post by Michael Silverbane »

Whenever I try to start a server, and do the "Test Connection" I get a "Could not see your computer from the internet."

I am using Maptool 1.1, on a Windows XP machine. I am connected to the internet via a cable modem, through a Linksys wireless router. I have set up a static ip address, and forwarded the port 51234. I've put a port exception into the Windows firewall and the Norton Firewall... And, in fact disabled both of those. I continue to get this error.

I can connect to the server from a second iteration of maptool, if I do so via the "LAN" tab, but not if I look up the server on RPTools.net (gives me an IO Error java.net.ConnectException: Connection Refused: connect) and the same if I try to connect Direct (all from the same computer, so I don't know if those other two attepts are helpful at all).

I am not terribly proficient with networking or inner computer workings, so I don't know much more than that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
silver
It's a big world out there. Go tear it up.

Michael Silverbane
Cave Troll

Nevermind. Apparently I am unable to tell the difference between a 1 and a 2. Problem solved by forwarding the port to the correct IP address.

Thanks for your (potential) help.

Later
silver

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Welcome to the forums Michael Silverbane !

Dang, you beat me to it :) Glad you got it working though.

Be sure to post back your thoughts on how to improve the tool !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Michael Silverbane
Cave Troll

If you could find some way for the tool to make me appear smarter, that'd be great! :D

Seriously, though, I think that most of the stuff that I would want is stuff that you're working on, anyway. Being very much not an artist, of the utmost importance to me is being able to easily bring map tiles into maptool and to resize, move around, and otherwise manipulate them quickly and easily so as to be able to make a map that is cool looking. The more I can do such manipulation 'on the fly' the better.

Also, thanks for making a bad donkey tool.

Later
silver

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Michael Silverbane wrote: Seriously, though, I think that most of the stuff that I would want is stuff that you're working on, anyway. Being very much not an artist, of the utmost importance to me is being able to easily bring map tiles into maptool and to resize, move around, and otherwise manipulate them quickly and easily so as to be able to make a map that is cool looking. The more I can do such manipulation 'on the fly' the better.
Maptool does this already :)

Dalna on our boards just made a HUGE map made just from tiles. He is the tile master ;)

Hint: the Stamp tool is your friend. When the stamp tool is selected, everything you drag onto your map will be a background or object stamp. They come out set to freesize and you then have the option to adjust them. You can alos set them to snap to grid. Then when you want to put tokens on your map, swtich to the pointer tool.

Pointer tool = playing tool
Stamp tool = building tool

(Actually, I wonder if we should change the name of the stamping tool to building tool?)

Michael Silverbane
Cave Troll

I've been experimenting with the stamper over the past several hours (after reading dalna's thread, actually, heh). This is exactly what I need.

Renaming the stamping tool (maybe to the building tool or the tile tool) might be a good idea.

Thanks
silver

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Yeah, I'd like to call it World Editor mode or something
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Return to “MapTool”