Strange Connection problem

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Strange Connection problem

Post by Azhrei »

booga wrote:They have no problem finding/pinging/tracerouting my exernal address, but those tests are not using the Maptool ports. I also checked my router's log and my firewall's log and none show any kind of denial. It's odd, and I'm still digging.
Then the packets are getting to your router in all cases, right?

The next step then is to run ethereal (or wireshark; same thing) on a computer inside the network. The one running the MapTool server is the best choice. With that app running, have another player connect. Ethereal will show every packet coming in and going out. If the firewall ir router are blocking them, the packets won't show up which tells you that "turning off the firewall" or "port forwarding on the router" didn't really work. If the packets do show up, the router and the firewall are letting them through.

If the packets do get through, you can use ethereal to view the contents of the packets and see if there are differences between Player 1 (who's able to connect) and Player 2 (who isn't).

heathan666
Giant

Post by heathan666 »

ok I ran a tracert from my sister's computer next door and I'm not sure if it worked but sense I have no clue how to check any of this out and am pretty dumb when it comes to this stuff so I'm not sure what I was looking for. However it didn't tell me that it failed though.
"Nat 20 man, reroll a plate wearer next time."
Kugan - "All bless the god KA-CHING!"

heathan666
Giant

Post by heathan666 »

ok I take that back I ran it again and only 1/30 passed, all the other attempts timed out. So where do I go from here???
Now I've also changed the settings and used a tool to check the portforwarding and it says the ports are open, but still isn't working right...I've turned off my firewall and I'm going to try a tracert again to see if that changed anything.
Update: Ya this suxxors..didn't change anything.
Also I even tried to connect to another persons game just to see if that would work...and it wouldn't let me even connect, so I cna't even play D&D (sorry Maptools spoiled me) let alone run a game...

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Your router is screwed up. Unplug it for 30 seconds (no, not 29 seconds!) and then plug it back in.

Btw, you don't have two routers between you are your ISP, do you? I'm wondering if maybe you have the double-NAT problem?

heathan666
Giant

Post by heathan666 »

no I do not have 2 routers, that was one of the things my friend Jshock asked me. Its router then modem...I will give everything a go again tomorrow...with just UPnP settings if those don't work I'll try with Static IP & Port Forwarding and I'll reboot between them to make sure they work.
as I stated previously I've had this working before, not sure what is going on...

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

heathan666 wrote:as I stated previously I've had this working before, not sure what is going on...
Yeah, that's why I was thinking it was a bug in the router firmware. It used to work, it doesn't now, and only changes made to the environment have been removed. In some cases I would suspect the Windows OS and tell people to reboot, but when they've done that there's not much else to look at besides the router...

heathan666
Giant

Post by heathan666 »

ya I tried all that, restarted the router and everything, still no dice. The only thing I can think of is that it is the ISP. I've restarted, rebooted, and reset darn near everything, and as of now, it still don't work and I have a bald spot from pulling out my hair...I'm exhuasted....wish me luck guys I hope its the ISP cause other then that I don't think i'm gonna be able to get this to work.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

heathan666 wrote:ya I tried all that, restarted the router and everything, still no dice. The only thing I can think of is that it is the ISP. I've restarted, rebooted, and reset darn near everything, and as of now, it still don't work and I have a bald spot from pulling out my hair...I'm exhuasted....wish me luck guys I hope its the ISP cause other then that I don't think i'm gonna be able to get this to work.
Have you tried taking the router out of the equation entirely? (Go directly from your modem to your computer.)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

heathan666
Giant

Post by heathan666 »

unfortunately that's not a possibility, as my computer isn't the only one on the router. However I may try it today just to see if that fixes the problem...if so then it is deffinately the router. Good thinking.
How do you port forward without a router????

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

You don't need port forwarding without a router. :) Just leave the UPnP turned off and you're good to go.

heathan666
Giant

Post by heathan666 »

ok awesome, I connected straight to the modem and was able to get an external connection. So now I just have to figure out wtf is going on with the router that is blocking people.
So where do I go from here???
The router has UPnP function and Port Forwarding function both of which I've tried to configure. I'm guessing I'm going to have to try one and then the other and probably reset the router to factory default....I hope I can get this working, as I said it worked previously so I'm not sure what is going on now.

heathan666
Giant

Post by heathan666 »

does my router need to be set up to static IP as well???

heathan666
Giant

Post by heathan666 »

also I wanted to note I went back and tried to do this with b59 and when I would do test connection it said that it was unable to see my computer from the internet. but when I would do it with b63 it would say success...wuz up with that?

kristof65
Dragon

Post by kristof65 »

I don't know if was v59, but one of the recent versions had a problem with the test connection button - could be that.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

One of the versions had a bug in the TC button; maybe it was the 59 build?

In any case, you know you have a router problem. Power resets, firmware upgrades, and router replacement are the three steps I'd look at taking. :)

Return to “MapTool”