Drawing dungeon walls with textures...

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Phergus
Deity

Drawing dungeon walls with textures...

Post by Phergus »

The issue of drawing dungeon walls that have shadows has come up now and again in the discussions of the new texture drawing tools so I thought I would experiment a bit and see what could be done.

After some twiddling in GIMP to make some textures I was able to do this map in MapTool in just a couple minutes:

The walls with shadows were drawn using two different textures:

Image Image

Here is a 400% enlargement of the vertical wall texture:

The basic technique is:
* Select the line drawing tool
* Pick the appropriate texture for either vertical or horizontal walls as the Draw color
* Turn on the Snap-to-Grid
* Set the Line Width to 21

Note these textures are for 35 pixels/grid or even multiples thereof.

Now draw out your dungeon alternating between the Horizontal and Vertical wall texture as needed.

To make it faster and easier, first draw out the dungeon using 3 pixel colored lines so that you know where all of the horizontal and vertical wall segments go and then go back over the colored lines with your textures. With the snap-to-grid turned on this is pretty trivial.

Anyway I thought it made for an interesting exercise.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

That's fantastic phergus ! I'm constantly amazed at what you all can do with these tools :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

trevor wrote:That's fantastic phergus ! I'm constantly amazed at what you all can do with these tools :)
Agreed! :)

Stuff like this needs to go in a "Maptools for Dummies"... ;)

Seriously, a help guide and advanced technigue guide would be handy...
Game On!

voodoo
Dragon

Post by voodoo »

Call me dumb, but could you tell me how you can have a simple black background for an unbounded map?
The closest thing I got (especially for when I want to show players pictures, portraits...) was "starfield".
I couldn't get a straight "black background" out of the (digital) box.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

voodoo wrote:Call me dumb, but could you tell me how you can have a simple black background for an unbounded map?
The closest thing I got (especially for when I want to show players pictures, portraits...) was "starfield".
Make a small black square in your favorite painting program. Make it small because you are just going to make that black square an unbound map in Maptool :)

VOILA!

voodoo
Dragon

Post by voodoo »

dorpond wrote:
voodoo wrote:Call me dumb, but could you tell me how you can have a simple black background for an unbounded map?
Make a small black square in your favorite painting program. Make it small because you are just going to make that black square an unbound map in Maptool :)
Small as in "10 pixel small" or as in "100 pixel small" ?
(still think it should belong in the default unbound squares...
dorpond wrote: VOILA!
Merci beaucoup.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

voodoo wrote: Small as in "10 pixel small" or as in "100 pixel small" ?
Yes :)

They will both work. Just remember that the unbound map mechanism just tiles whatever you tell it to open. It could be 2X2 pixels and it will tile that too. You usually go smaller since it will leave yo more memory for the rest of the map.

Play around with it. You could in fact have all kinds of different color backgrounds if you get sick of Black ;)

voodoo
Dragon

Post by voodoo »

dorpond wrote: They will both work. Just remember that the unbound map mechanism just tiles whatever you tell it to open. It could be 2X2 pixels and it will tile that too. You usually go smaller since it will leave yo more memory for the rest of the map.
I hadn't thought about that...

Phergus, could you tell me how you did the map (not the walls but the rooms and corridors), where you found the tiles?

Thanks to both of you.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

voodoo wrote:Phergus, could you tell me how you did the map (not the walls but the rooms and corridors), where you found the tiles?
That example was all drawn with textures that I created. The wall textures were created in Gimp using one of the included textures. It's called Java as it is a picture of coffee beans. :) If anyone wants details on creating the wall textures let me know.

The floor texture was cut out of one of Kristian Richards dungeon tiles. I cut out a 70x70 px area to line up with the 35 px grid I designed the wall texture for.

Go herefor Kristian's awesome dungeon tiles and if you use them let him know that they are being used with MapTool.

The point of the exercise was to build the dungeon with just the texture drawing tools. As the textures used in drawing are "tiled" together when filling an area I just took advantage of that by creating my wall textures at the grid size with mostly empty space in the middle.

Michael Silverbane
Cave Troll

Post by Michael Silverbane »

So... Once I find or create a cool texture with which to build my dungeon, how do I go about making it available for use in Maptool?

Thanks for your help
silver
It's a big world out there. Go tear it up.

trevor

Post by trevor »

You can add directories on your file system directly into the Image Explorer, put all of your images into a directory, or heirarchy of directories, then File->Add Image Explorer Path, navigate to the directory and add it.

Next, find your texture in the image explorer, then right click->Add as paint

It is now available in the paint dialog

Pick a paint tool, right click on the "fill" color in the color panel, then the Texture tab. select your texture and start drawing :)

You can hold CTRL key down on most tools to snap to grid. Note that there's a precision issue I'm working on so the snap will be Just Off sometimes.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

And Real Soon Now Trevor is going to give us the ability to:

* Preserve textures in the Texture palette between sessions
* Remove textures from the Texture palette
* Eyedropper selection to select a texture from one already used on the map.

Right? :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Phergus wrote: * Preserve textures in the Texture palette between sessions
Definitely
Phergus wrote: * Remove textures from the Texture palette
Oh yeah, that would probably be a Good Thing
Phergus wrote: * Eyedropper selection to select a texture from one already used on the map.
My knee jerk reaction was "no way, you can't do that", then it occured to me how trivial that would be. I'll add the tracker

trevor

Post by trevor »

Phergus wrote: * Preserve textures in the Texture palette between sessions
* Remove textures from the Texture palette
galneweinhaw has contributed these for 1.2b19

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

trevor wrote: