Import Maps from PDF

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Myiagros
Kobold

Import Maps from PDF

Post by Myiagros »

Hello,

I've only used maptool a couple of times, mainly as a PC and not a DM. I'm now DMing for a campaign just using some old tiles from 3.5 and then placing stuff like poker chips, paper and some other odd things down on the tiles to represent walls and pretty much anything else I can think of.

I did a quick search that didn't turn anything up but I am hoping that it is possible to import a screenshot of the PDF maps in the campaign books(currently doing Keep on the Shadowfell, lots of fun) so that I don't have to spend hours re-creating them. Is this option available?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Import Maps from PDF

Post by Azhrei »

Any image (JPEG or PNG) can be dropped into MapTool. If you're using an older Acrobat Reader (v8, for example) you can select the image from the PDF and drag it to your desktop where it will become a TIFF. From there I either drag it to TokenTool (which also allows TIFF) or to MapTool, as appropriate.

If you can't select images, just take a screen shot and save it somewhere in JPEG or PNG. Then drag it into MapTool.

You will probably want maps on the Background layer, in case you're not familiar with that. (And if you're not, check out the video tutorials on the main web site -- click the Tutorials link in the toolbar.)

Myiagros
Kobold

Post by Myiagros »

Awesome! Thanks a ton.

mxfc
Kobold

Post by mxfc »

Is there another way to do this with maybe an "import stamp" option? I'm using Linux and whenever I try to drag an image from a folder, the cursor has a little figure eight next to it (it looks like the insert URL button in this forum text box editor) and it does not drop in. Could this be a bug in the linux version?

Here is a video so you can see what I'm talking about:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A7zDtA ... 3W4I8/view

Return to “MapTool”