Command line to launch MT, open campaign, start server?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Lindharin
Dragon

Command line to launch MT, open campaign, start server?

Post by Lindharin »

Hi,

I realize that MT can't be run headless at the moment, but that it is coming. In the meantime, if I have a spare computer that I want to run it on, I can manually open MT, open my campaign file, start the server, and leave it alone... until it gets a windows update and reboots, loses power, or whatever.

By any chance is there a command line I can use to launch MT, open a designated campaign file, and start a server? Then I could put that in the start menu and have the MT server start up whenever the computer starts.

I assume the answer is no, but figured I might as well check. :D

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Command line to launch MT, open campaign, start server?

Post by Azhrei »

Lindharin wrote:By any chance is there a command line I can use to launch MT, open a designated campaign file, and start a server? Then I could put that in the start menu and have the MT server start up whenever the computer starts.
There's nothing official. I think someone (jfrazier?) who was working on patches to provide answers for the Start a Server dialog. That would cover everything except the campaign file.

If someone puts together patches for MT 1.3 that do this, I'd be happy to review them and even commit them to SVN if they meet our "quality control" standards!! ;)

Lindharin
Dragon

Post by Lindharin »

Azhrei wrote:If someone puts together patches for MT 1.3 that do this, I'd be happy to review them and even commit them to SVN if they meet our "quality control" standards!! ;)
I would, but that is getting into a side of the MapTools code (and java in general) that I know nothing about. Any other takers? :wink:

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azhrei wrote:
Lindharin wrote:By any chance is there a command line I can use to launch MT, open a designated campaign file, and start a server? Then I could put that in the start menu and have the MT server start up whenever the computer starts.
There's nothing official. I think someone (jfrazier?) who was working on patches to provide answers for the Start a Server dialog. That would cover everything except the campaign file.

If someone puts together patches for MT 1.3 that do this, I'd be happy to review them and even commit them to SVN if they meet our "quality control" standards!! ;)
Yea, that was me. I got it mostly working for a player to auto logon to a specific server instance with a username/password, but unfortunately, that computer got destroyed and I don't have enough motivation to redo the work. My original thought was to be able to create player links that a GM could build to let users login without going through the normal login screen. I had started on a way to start a server and thats where it got lost.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

jfrazierjr wrote:Yea, that was me.
Wow, and I thought my memory was shot. Or at least, I think I remember thinking that my memory was shot. Now I'm not so sure. ;)
I got it mostly working for a player to auto logon to a specific server instance with a username/password, but unfortunately, that computer got destroyed and I don't have enough motivation to redo the work. My original thought was to be able to create player links that a GM could build to let users login without going through the normal login screen. I had started on a way to start a server and thats where it got lost.
Hmm, "player links"? So this would be something that would start MapTool and then provide the server name from the RPTools registry (or the direct IP address) along with player name and password? Interesting idea.

If we had something like that, it could be put into the JNLP file and then be super easy to get into a particular game. I could add the required data to the Customization section on the Launch page and the GM could give a player a URL that would take them to that page with prepopulated fields; they just click the MapTool link and they're good. :) I like it!

Perhaps that same approach could tie into starting the server in an automated fashion. Instead of selecting Player it would select GM, then it would need the name to register at RPTools (or the IP address if direct), the passwords to use, and the campaign to load by default.

wyrmwood_lives
Cave Troll

Post by wyrmwood_lives »

Any effort been made for this? Would love to drop a shell script or batch file to start this up. Not that it's all that difficult, but I have both a gm server instance and a player client instance to load and during a campaign, for me, it's the same file/server/etc.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Nothing so far. Still missing an option to specify the campaign file to be loaded.

The command line options for MT: Command_Line_Options

Return to “MapTool”