MT on iPad?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Blakey
Dragon

MT on iPad?

Post by Blakey »

Does anyone know if the iPad has a JVM? And if so hass anyone tried running MT on it?

Spill the beans...
Blakey
The guy in the green hat.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: MT on iPad?

Post by Full Bleed »

Blakey wrote:Does anyone know if the iPad has a JVM? And if so hass anyone tried running MT on it?
The specific answer to your question is, "No." The iPad does not have a JVM.

But that isn't stopping someone from porting over an interface. You can read about it here: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13610
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

tatzaana
Kobold

Post by tatzaana »

How can so many people give such definite opinions on the ipad before it was released? Why is it that BEFORE the ipad was released there were so many people who KNEW what it could and couldn't do and were happy to tell everyone not to get one and that it was going to be a flop. But after over half a millons sales in under a month none of those same people can admit they were wrong.

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

tatzaana wrote:How can so many people give such definite opinions on the ipad before it was released? Why is it that BEFORE the ipad was released there were so many people who KNEW what it could and couldn't do and were happy to tell everyone not to get one and that it was going to be a flop. But after over half a millons sales in under a month none of those same people can admit they were wrong.
If you are responding to Full Bleed's post, it was well known that the ipad would not contain a JVM at the time. So no it would not be possible to try running MapTool on it.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

He might actually be a spammer. We'll see. :roll:

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Sorry for the thread-romancy but has anyone got MT working on an iPad? If so is it a case of hacking the iPad or is it easy to do? And the big question: if it works, how well does it work? Is it a winner or actually more of a pain than useful?

Thanks
Blakey
The guy in the green hat.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

There is mapnakotic, a maptool client for the iPad. I have it, but haven't got tested it right because I have connection problems and no real time to fight those. It LOOKS promising, but has not 100% functionality.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Mapnokotic only works with simple maps and even then Im having problems.

The only way to get it 'really' working is by use of airplay (extended screen from pc/mac onto you ipad) although I've recently discovered that on windows this results in a red screen on the ipad...
I asked them about it and they replied:
Hello,

Unfortunately, Java based apps do end up red on the screen when being used with Air Display. The issue stems from Java and isn't something we can fix on our end. Java based apps don't work well with VNC or screen sharing either and thus don't work well with Air Display. So, my apologies, but this may mean that Air Display won't work for your needs.

If you'd like to pursue a refund you'll need to contact Apple. They handle everything on the transaction end of things and are the only ones with access to your purchase records. We can only offer technical support for our software. The best way to contact them is via the email receipt you received from the purchase. There should be a link to 'Report a Problem'. To let you know, if you mention you had any technical difficulties with our software in your request for a refund, they'll just tell you to contact us for technical support. That is something we're happy to provide, but the refund can only come from Apple as the software was purchased from them and we have no means of reversing that transaction to refund your money. I just wanted to let you know that part so you didn't feel like you were getting the runaround regarding a refund.

Cheers,
Elliot Chase
Avatron Software, Inc.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

The issue stems from Java and isn't something we can fix on our end. Java based apps don't work well with VNC or screen sharing either...
Funny, we have dozens of users doing exactly that with Java apps - including using JOGL - every day.

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

wolph42 wrote: I asked them about it and they replied:
Hello,

Unfortunately, Java based apps do end up red on the screen when being used with Air Display. The issue stems from Java and isn't something we can fix on our end. Java based apps don't work well with VNC or screen sharing either and thus don't work well with Air Display. So, my apologies, but this may mean that Air Display won't work for your needs.
Like Phergus I have seen Java apps working successfully -- in many places -- with VNC and other screen sharing tools. I also just installed MapTool on a Windows machine and was able to view it successfully on my Xoom using VNC. I didn't say use it successfully because my fingers are too big for the buttons and its not a touch interface. :)

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Craig wrote:
wolph42 wrote: I asked them about it and they replied:
Hello,

Like Phergus I have seen Java apps working successfully -- in many places -- with VNC and other screen sharing tools. I also just installed MapTool on a Windows machine and was able to view it successfully on my Xoom using VNC. I didn't say use it successfully because my fingers are too big for the buttons and its not a touch interface. :)
well TBH I've never ever encountered any problems with running MT either with remote desktop or extended view or a combination, save the problem with the frames on the other display and then closing MT. This is the first time I've run into such a fundamental problem. Still, thats what I got from them...

Return to “MapTool”