Tokens changing names when changing maps

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
kristof65
Dragon

Tokens changing names when changing maps

Post by kristof65 »

Something happened during my last session that I didn't understand.

We had 23 tokens for the adventuring party (6 PCs, 5 NPCs, their 11 horses and one dog) that I cut and pasted from one map to another when they went from one zone to another.

Upon pasting into the new map, several - but not all - of the tokens changed names from what I had typed in to the default of "Creature" - All 6 PCs, one of the NPCs, and three of the horses didn't change, everything else did. I had to stall the game for a minute while I retyped in all the NPC names.

Why did this happen, and how can I prevent it from happening in the future?

Oompa
Cave Troll

Re: Tokens changing names when changing maps

Post by Oompa »

kristof65 wrote:Something happened during my last session that I didn't understand.

We had 23 tokens for the adventuring party (6 PCs, 5 NPCs, their 11 horses and one dog) that I cut and pasted from one map to another when they went from one zone to another.

Upon pasting into the new map, several - but not all - of the tokens changed names from what I had typed in to the default of "Creature" - All 6 PCs, one of the NPCs, and three of the horses didn't change, everything else did. I had to stall the game for a minute while I retyped in all the NPC names.

Why did this happen, and how can I prevent it from happening in the future?
Weird.. never had this bug while cutting and pasting.. what version you use?
Keep rollin them dice...

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I have never heard of that happening before. If you can provide for details, that would be great. Were they all NPCs? What were their names originally? What was your memory usage at the time? Do you recall if there might have been an auto-save running at the instant you did the paste?

I'll keep this in mind as I do my testing before building b64.

kristof65
Dragon

Post by kristof65 »

Hmm - ok, should have gathered more specifics at the time. It actually happened twice, and I have some ideas on what it may be, but haven't checked it out.

None of the PCs changed names, nor did three of the horses, which are set to NPC. I believe that all of those tokens were saved as part of the file from the previous session. A couple of the NPCs were, too. But IIRC, one of the NPCs that had been saved ended up with the name change.

The ones that changed were all NPCs, and originally were Morrys, Alice, Agnes and Adam - they had last names too, but I don't remember those, as well as horses named Rebel and Crap (don't ask). Most of those had been dragged out of the map explorer and onto the first map that session. I had left the five NPC's horses I added then as Creature. All of them changed to "Creature" after cutting and pasting. When it did it the first time, the player with the horse named Rebel noticed it - I had forgot to add him as the owner of the horse, so I did that for those two PC horses, and they changed the names themselves. A little while later I noticed that the other NPCs names were creature as well, I assumed it happened during the cut & paste like the horses did, and I fixed it.

Later on I did the second cut and paste, and it happened again. I don't know what the memory usage was. I'm pretty sure it wasn't autosave related either - the computer I use to host the game is pretty slow, so I turned off autosave. I have a second computer logged in as a GM that I use the autosave feature on (and now that I think about it, I don't know if that even actually works?).

The more I dwell on it, I think it might be related to the fact that some of the tokens were saved as part of the previous session, the others were added that session. That might not be true, though - I'm pretty sure at least one token that was part of the previous session wound up being changed, too - though I'm not 100% on that.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I brought up the autosave because it really sucks up RAM while generating the new campaign file. That could have caused the memory usage to peak at or near the maximum, in which there may have been an exception thrown that was ignored by the higher layers of code. (Not all exceptions are problems.) But throwing the exception could have caused a different code path that resulted in the name not be reset to the original value. (IIRC, all new tokens start out as Creature and then the name is reset after the copy is completed.)

Please empty or remove the log.txt file before you run MapTool again. Then if it happens again, please glance quickly at the memory counter to see where it's at, followed by attaching the log file here.

I'm sorry it happened. Hopefully we can narrow it down.

Return to “MapTool”