"Currently chatting" status indicator - is it planned?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Venatius
Dragon

"Currently chatting" status indicator - is it planned?

Post by Venatius »

As much as I love maptool, the inability to know if someone is currently typing a message has proven a major and consistent annoyance to my groups and I. Does anybody happen to know if such a feature is in the works, or if there's some option/workaround to achieve the same effect?

brad
Great Wyrm

Re: "Currently chatting" status indicator - is it planned?

Post by brad »

There is currently no workaround that I know of. For v1.3 what you see is what you get. While there is no "official" list of new features for v1.4, a complete reworking of the chat window seems to be high on the list. It has been discussed a number of times, so I think it is a safe bet that a typing indicator as well as other things like multiple channels will be making it in for chat. But again there is no official list as of yet, just the general goal of making MapTool more user friendly.
View MapTool video tutorials at RPToolsTutorials.net

Venatius
Dragon

Post by Venatius »

While I'm saddened not to have an explicit news on my chief complaint about the program, I'm heartened that overhauling chat is a primary endeavor. Thank you for the information!

kristof65
Dragon

Post by kristof65 »

I hope a similar feature gets implemented.

I've been working on a workaround private messaging macro for that very same reason - what I'm doing is creating a input box where the players can type their text and select which players it's to be whispered to. It sends off the text to the selected players, as well as a line to the GM that says "Bob is talking to Alice". It's not a perfect solution, and yes, players can directly use the chat window commands to bypass it, but it works pretty good so far, even if it is still a bit ugly in execution.

I'll try and post my work in progress when I get to my other computer.

Return to “MapTool”