(1.3.B63) Help Reveal Fog of War

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Dark Thoughts
Giant

(1.3.B63) Help Reveal Fog of War

Post by Dark Thoughts »

Our group frequently runs into problems with Fog of War and I'm hoping you guys can help us keep things straight so it works as it should.

Our biggest problem seems to be players not being able to reveal it as they should. We've played a number of games where everybody could reveal the fog as they should except for one player who constantly ran into black boundaries and had to wait for the GM to reveal what was beyond.

We've checked various...

Day, Night, Off settings
Light Sources...
Allow Players to Reveal Fog...

What would be the ideal settings so that everybody could reveal fog while moving? Should we update to a newer version?

mfrizzell
Dragon

Re: (1.3.B63) Help Reveal Fog of War

Post by mfrizzell »

Dark Thoughts wrote:Our group frequently runs into problems with Fog of War and I'm hoping you guys can help us keep things straight so it works as it should.

Our biggest problem seems to be players not being able to reveal it as they should. We've played a number of games where everybody could reveal the fog as they should except for one player who constantly ran into black boundaries and had to wait for the GM to reveal what was beyond.
Your player can always hit Cntl-I to reveal fog.
Dark Thoughts wrote: We've checked various...
Day, Night, Off settings
Night- it's dark and you will need light to reveal fog.
Day - it's light and VBL will block your vision but no fog to reveal
Dark Thoughts wrote: Light Sources...
At least one player will need a light source if vision is set to Night
Dark Thoughts wrote: Allow Players to Reveal Fog...
Add to that-
Your Maptool preferences need to have 'Auto Expose Fog' checked
'Center Players on current view continuous' should not be on.
Dark Thoughts wrote: What would be the ideal settings so that everybody could reveal fog while moving? Should we update to a newer version?
Try my suggestions and see how it goes.
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

mfrizzell wrote:Your player can always hit Cntl-I to reveal fog.
As long as the server was started with Players Can Reveal Fog.
Center Players on current view continuous' should not be on.
Um, why not?

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

Azhrei wrote:
mfrizzell wrote:Your player can always hit Cntl-I to reveal fog.
As long as the server was started with Players Can Reveal Fog.
Center Players on current view continuous' should not be on.
Um, why not?
When I first started using Maptools (B63) I had the same exact problems and I posted the same basic question in this thread
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13641

After trying all the answer supplied the problem went away when I turned off 'Center Players on current view continuous'.
It may have been a coincidence, but it worked for me.
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Probably just coincidence...

Darinth
Dragon

Post by Darinth »

My answer would be that being constantly forced to follow the GMs point of view is annoying? :)
Loyalty is not blind, and it cannot be forced. It is a sincere bond formed out of respect and gratitude.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

With the movpad lib, I can see a use for auto reveal fog as a function. I can imagine many other uses for this as well.

revealFog() - defaults to currentToken and it's vision with vbl
revealFog(id) - same as above, but with id (trusted macros only)
revealFogXY(json) - reveal specific spot on map (vbl not considered. trusted macros only)
  • x - X map coordinate (required)
  • y - Y map coordinate (required)
  • shape - (circle, rectangle, ...?) (required)
  • radius - radius of circle at x,y (default = 0)
  • width - horizontal distance from x,y (default = 0)
  • height - vertical distance from x,y (default = 0)
  • units - 1/0: true - use map units for distance (default = 0)

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

@aliasmask: That would have been a cool feature to have in a recent game I played in. (Think CotCT gaining a certain artifact on a island). Also, it would be nice to have in reverse. Wizard casts darkness and you can actually place a darkness blotch at that spot. Although, putting a super dark aura on a item would probably work better for this.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

neofax wrote:@aliasmask: That would have been a cool feature to have in a recent game I played in. (Think CotCT gaining a certain artifact on a island). Also, it would be nice to have in reverse. Wizard casts darkness and you can actually place a darkness blotch at that spot. Although, putting a super dark aura on a item would probably work better for this.
I started to comment on the reverse, but realized that's more of a special effect and shouldn't be related to FOW. I was thinking of a token walking through "obscurement" where vision is reduced to the surrounding 5', but that's more of a Wiki: setSightType() function.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Darkness can now be done in a rather ugly way by creating an aura and then setting the Preferences so that auras are 100% opaque. But Preferences are client-side and the change would apply to all auras... :( Not a useful solution.

I suppose those settings will get moved to the campaign file some day, but I dread making that change because when the campaign file format changes there is major potential for screwing up peoples campaigns. And I don't like that. :(

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

aliasmask wrote:I started to comment on the reverse, but realized that's more of a special effect and shouldn't be related to FOW. I was thinking of a token walking through "obscurement" where vision is reduced to the surrounding 5', but that's more of a Wiki: setSightType() function.
Agreed. When someone has vision limits such as a darkness spell or a blindness condition, changing the sight type is the right way to go (perhaps with an aura used to denote the area for a darkness spell so that people OUTSIDE the Area of Effect knowns where the demarcation is.) Thats one of the main reasons I decided to put in an option for vision range when I worked on adding square and conic vision to the maptool code last year. Of course, then someone (Craig????) added Wiki: setSightType() which made it so much easier by allowing it to be done via macros.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “MapTool”