Token states on portrait

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Rumble
Deity

Token states on portrait

Post by Rumble »

I know that token states being visible on the portrait is something that's been raised and discussed here several times. How big a draw would it be? The reason I ask is that (as mentioned in the Wall of Features sticky thread) I kinda accidentally* made it work while playing with the Maptool source code. It is in all ways identical to the token states overlays, in terms of transparency, location, etc - basically, it treats the portrait like a big token, and draws the states on it.

Is this valuable? Worth doing now, or something to shelve until the future (either because of pending changes or because it's really a sort of trivial thing)?

* in the sense that I was looking to do it, but I didn't expect what I tried to work
states-on-portrait.png
states-on-portrait.png (320.84 KiB) Viewed 777 times

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Token states on portrait

Post by aliasmask »

I kind of think they shouldn't be on there because the portrait is supposed to present the token image, but... sometimes I would like to see the full token (especially the hp bar) when I can only see a small corner due to vision. So, if you add the bars I would be all for the states showing up. If the token owner really wanted to present a different/full image they could always just load it in the config under portrait where I wouldn't expect the states or bars to show.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

aliasmask wrote:I kind of think they shouldn't be on there because the portrait is supposed to present the token image, but... sometimes I would like to see the full token (especially the hp bar) when I can only see a small corner due to vision. So, if you add the bars I would be all for the states showing up. If the token owner really wanted to present a different/full image they could always just load it in the config under portrait where I wouldn't expect the states or bars to show.

I'm sorry, but I don't follow. I understand what you mean about whether the portrait should be covered with state images (that was raised during older discussions about it); however, I didn't understand what you meant after "sometimes I would like to..." If you mean "don't draw it on the portrait, but if there's no portrait, go ahead" the method that does it now doesn't care whether it's a portrait or just the token image - it just draws the states within the boundaries of the portrait area, above the portrait/token image.

I'm not sold on any of it, truth be told - I was more surprised that it worked and thought it was sorta neat.

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

I think it would be cool to have that functionality, but probably not everybody would and it might even get tiresome for me. Maybe if it was a preference choice?
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

mfrizzell wrote:I think it would be cool to have that functionality, but probably not everybody would and it might even get tiresome for me. Maybe if it was a preference choice?
Perhaps - personally, I think it's nifty but it is a bit limited (it's basically the same thing you see on your token anyway, just bigger - no new information is shown); there is probably a much better way to handle these things that is more flexible. (show the states; show their names; show them above the token or in a column to the left or whatever...lots of things).

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Rumble wrote:
aliasmask wrote:I kind of think they shouldn't be on there because the portrait is supposed to present the token image, but... sometimes I would like to see the full token (especially the hp bar) when I can only see a small corner due to vision. So, if you add the bars I would be all for the states showing up. If the token owner really wanted to present a different/full image they could always just load it in the config under portrait where I wouldn't expect the states or bars to show.

I'm sorry, but I don't follow. I understand what you mean about whether the portrait should be covered with state images (that was raised during older discussions about it); however, I didn't understand what you meant after "sometimes I would like to..." If you mean "don't draw it on the portrait, but if there's no portrait, go ahead" the method that does it now doesn't care whether it's a portrait or just the token image - it just draws the states within the boundaries of the portrait area, above the portrait/token image.

I'm not sold on any of it, truth be told - I was more surprised that it worked and thought it was sorta neat.
Because of vision blocking or FOW, some tokens can only be partially seen. When only partially seen, not all the states or bars are visible. I think it would be a good idea if the portrait/stat sheet would show the states and bars to overcome that limitation. Now as I understand it, what you have done is basically duplicated what is seen on the token when the token image is show in the portrait area. But when someone saves an "actual" portrait image the token image is not shown in the portrait/stat sheet popup. So, I would think the states would not be shown either. But from what you said above, they are shown.

If you are going to implement adding the states to the token image in the portrait/stat sheet popup, I would like to request (if it is already not the case) to include bars.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Rumble wrote:there is probably a much better way to handle these things that is more flexible. (show the states; show their names; show them above the token or in a column to the left or whatever...lots of things).
In general, the portrait image wasn't intended to be a "Zoom Box" to show states bigger, it was to give more flavor to the game. But, if it was a preference, then what could it hurt?

Personally, I'd rather being able to draw the state images in the statbox next to a property called "States" or in it's own box beneath the portrait image. Drawing the health bars the same way would be good too. Right now, we can't display an image in the stat box.

How hard would it be to allow this to work as a visible property in the statbox?

Code: Select all

<image src='[r: tableImage("tbl1", 1)]'></image>
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Mathemagician
Dragon

Post by Mathemagician »

I like it, especially if the healthbar shows up.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

I'd like the portrait as "zoom box". Think is would be real useful on mass combat or large range combat. (I cant read states on tokens if I zoom out enough to see a longbow archer (ars magica 5th) and its target at the same time).

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

I thought the bars would be simple, but for some reason if the portrait size is below around 250, the bars are offset about half the image height. If you go to a token portrait of 250+, the bars render in the correct location. I have no idea why.

Edit: oh, I see. Minor problem (the bar position apparently glues itself to the top of the stat box, for some bizarre reason; if the stat list is bigger than the portrait image the bar gets shoved off the top).

prestidigitator
Dragon

Post by prestidigitator »

I see the portrait as a different view, not a simple zoom. I'd personally prefer the states/bars didn't cover it. Off to the side along the edges, perhaps.... But I suppose if it were a preference it could be turned off and wouldn't matter.
"He knows not how to know who knows not also how to un-know." --Sir Richard Burton

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

prestidigitator wrote:I see the portrait as a different view, not a simple zoom. I'd personally prefer the states/bars didn't cover it. Off to the side along the edges, perhaps.... But I suppose if it were a preference it could be turned off and wouldn't matter.
This is the rub. I personally never use portraits, so what appears for me is just a larger version of the token. However, lots of people do use portraits, and they shouldn't be cluttered, IMO. So...an impasse.

The easy way to do this has the images sit on the portrait just like they sit on the token; but the best way is probably not the easy way.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

prestidigitator wrote:I see the portrait as a different view, not a simple zoom. I'd personally prefer the states/bars didn't cover it.
I agree, if the token has a Portrait image. If the token has only the Token image then go ahead and do it.

I use full-body shots for my NPC tokens (when I have those images) so I wouldn't want the extra graphics on those images.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I wish there was an easy way to chose to see the portrait/stat box. I know there is a checkbox to turn on/off, but I don't consider that easy access. Maybe a button on the toolbar. Sometimes, it just gets in the way as a DM. The button could be a 3 way toggle. Default would be portrait image primary, one click would be token zoom primary and next click would be off. Any token with a portrait image saved would have the token stack symbol in the upper right corner so show there is more than one image.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

Personally, I would rather have it off and only open on a key combo. And then with a transparent background to include the text. I would also like to not have the full states show except for a "+" good states and "-" for bad with the ability to click on these "icons" to show the states that a(e?)ffect the token. This is probably a 1.4 request, but since we were throwing out desires... :twisted:

Return to “MapTool”