Textured Fog Disappears

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
SDShannonS
Giant

Textured Fog Disappears

Post by SDShannonS »

Hey all,

I'm running 1.3.b63 and whenever I create a map using textured fog it works great right up until I start a server. When players view that map, they don't see the textured fog, they just see the standard black fog. And sure enough, when I go look at that map, all that's there is the standard black fog. All the textured fog is gone.

Is this a known issue? Am I doing something wrong?

Shannon
1.3.b63
MT installed via .zip
MT launched via launcher file with 2 GB RAM and stack size of 8
WinXP SP3
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here."
- Jayne

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Textured Fog Disappears

Post by aliasmask »

The fog texture is really an overlay (mostly see through) and since the default background color is black, then you get a mostly black background. I use the rain overlay as a background for a funky special effect of the ethereal plane. It's especially cool when you zoom in and out.

You may want set your background to a light grey and then use the texture tool to draw your fog over it.

edit: I'm assuming you're using the fog overlay as a background. I just noticed the "Fog" button when creating a map. Nice! I'll save and reload and see if that is what you're talking about. (a few seconds later) - Nope, FOW fog doesn't go to black when creating a map. Although, I wouldn't recommend using an overlay for FOW because it doesn't hide anything.

What would be nice is exposed areas when no longer exposed directly return to FOW... then that would be a cool special effect.

SDShannonS
Giant

Post by SDShannonS »

Aliasmask, I'm not clear on your response so I'll try to explain in more detail what I'm doing.

I have two images; let's call them Terrain and ObscuredTerrain.
  1. Right-click on Terrain in the Map Explorer window and select New Map
  2. From the new map window, click Fog > Texture and then drill down to select ObscuredTerrain
  3. Click on Map > Vision > Night
  4. Click on Map > Fog of War
  5. Drop a token onto the map
  6. Right-click on the token, selecting Light Source > Generic > 5
  7. Set the token to have sight (Properties > Has Sight (checked) > Normal)
  8. Draw a hollow box of VBL around the edge of the map
Setup is complete. Now, when I view the map as a player, all I can see is the image of ObscuredTerrain. If I select the token and reveal (Ctrl-i), I see a 5-foot circle of Terrain surrounded by a field of ObscuredTerrain. Working as intended.

However, if I then start a server, my players go to that map and they DO NOT see ObscuredTerrain. They see a 5-foot circle of Terrain surrounded by black.

See the problem?

Shannon
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here."
- Jayne

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I see. I did what you said and I don't see that problem. I even connected with a different computer to my server. So, my players can see the textured fog. I use the weather overlay in the default folder for my fog when creating a new map.

Return to “MapTool”