Selection Question and extracting a map

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Ramius613
Kobold

Selection Question and extracting a map

Post by Ramius613 »

My first question involve selecting a number of monsters. For example, if I have a group of 5 monsters, and 3 of them take a hit, is there a way to select just those 3 monsters (like using the Ctrl key)?

My other question involves getting a map from a DL cmpgn file. Is there a way to pull the map/background from a .cmpgn file to use elsewhers?

Ramius

MetaGamer
Kobold

Re: Selection Question and extracting a map

Post by MetaGamer »

If you hold down shift you can select multiple tokens. As for whether this allows you to apply damage to them at the same time, I think that's up to the macros you are using.

As for saving maps, you have two options:
File->Export->Screenshot , goes to the clipboard
File->Export->Screenshot As, saves to a file.
Both only save the current view.

I am just wrapping up a patch that allows you to save the entire map (not just what is onscreen). Assuming it passes muster with code-masters, it should be available soon. If you can compile/run maptool from the source, I'd be happy to send you my current version to test out.

Akodo Makama
Giant

Post by Akodo Makama »

The ability to export/import a map already exists in the current codebase, but it is only available in the 'development' version.

If you set "-DMAPTOOL_DEV=true" as one of the parameters when you launch java (e.g. edit the batch file or .sh) a new menu item will appear for this. I don't know what other changes this will have, however, and I would not recommend that beginners leave their launcher like that, but only when they really need to export/import maps.

This will preserve all the objects, tokens, etc. as objects, tokens, etc.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

In the latest version (b70) you can activate the "development only" map import/export feature in the preferences.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

MetaGamer wrote:I am just wrapping up a patch that allows you to save the entire map (not just what is onscreen). Assuming it passes muster with code-masters, it should be available soon. If you can compile/run maptool from the source, I'd be happy to send you my current version to test out.
Please provide an outline of what you plan to do to solve this issue. Note that a single image buffer into which the map is rendered and then saved doesn't scale well for an infinitely large map, so I'd prefer an ImageWriter implementation instead...

MetaGamer
Kobold

Post by MetaGamer »

Azhrei wrote:
MetaGamer wrote:I am just wrapping up a patch that allows you to save the entire map (not just what is onscreen). Assuming it passes muster with code-masters, it should be available soon. If you can compile/run maptool from the source, I'd be happy to send you my current version to test out.
Please provide an outline of what you plan to do to solve this issue. Note that a single image buffer into which the map is rendered and then saved doesn't scale well for an infinitely large map, so I'd prefer an ImageWriter implementation instead...
I read the threads about doing it as a vector file, but since it's not very useful to export something you can't later import, and I didn't know the program structure, I had no idea where to start. (Actually, I haven't programmed in Java since 1995, so I was relearning everything as it was.) So I just implemented the 'export full map' button that was there (but not yet implemented) as a raster file dump. This file can then be prettied up in another program (like gimp) and then re-imported as the background image for a new map. I also added the ability to selectively render layers (mostly if you are the GM). To make it really useful, I'll need to add a 'change background map' option (its not really the 'background', but the 'board' pseudo-layer, but that's a detail).

The only thing I have to do is fix the dialog box so it only allows players to do what players should be able to do, and I'll send you a copy for you review. Now that I know the code (at least the rendering side), I'd be happy to work with you on a real spec for exporting/importing maps and layers.
Attachments
whole-map screen-capture dialog
whole-map screen-capture dialog
exportDialog.JPG (28.34 KiB) Viewed 373 times

Return to “MapTool”