FOW + auto reveal.

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

Re: FOW + auto reveal.

Post by JonathanTheBlack »

I don't know what to tell you then, because it has been a problem for me and my players. And we just tested it with those exact settings. It was not exposing on movement.

prestidigitator
Dragon

Post by prestidigitator »

Any possibility that the vision blocking layer isn't what you expect? Did VBL get confused with FOW at some point maybe?
"He knows not how to know who knows not also how to un-know." --Sir Richard Burton

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

JonathanTheBlack wrote:I don't know what to tell you then, because it has been a problem for me and my players. And we just tested it with those exact settings. It was not exposing on movement.
It only works on PC tokens as well (I think), and they have to have vision set.

DMFTodd
Cave Troll

Post by DMFTodd »

So - does this work on doesn't it? And if it does work, what exactly has to be set to make this happen for the players?

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

Yes, it does work and it works great. I played a campaign for six months using the auto reveal feature without a problem.
I believe Azhrei's post is close to being complete for what has to be set. The only thing I would add is that when I first tried using this feature I had the same kind of issues and one of the issues I had was that when as the DM you set MT to continuous lock player to your view it does not auto reveal for eveyone. It would then only auto reveal for one person or if the people continually used Cnt-I to reveal.
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

DMFTodd wrote:So - does this work on doesn't it? And if it does work, what exactly has to be set to make this happen for the players?
mfrizzell wrote:Yes, it does work and it works great. I played a campaign for six months using the auto reveal feature without a problem.
Ditto. I've been playing forever without a problem. ;)

In terms of what needs to be set, did you read my previous post? 8)
I believe Azhrei's post is close to being complete for what has to be set. The only thing I would add is that when I first tried using this feature I had the same kind of issues and one of the issues I had was that when as the DM you set MT to continuous lock player to your view it does not auto reveal for eveyone. It would then only auto reveal for one person or if the people continually used Cnt-I to reveal.
I've never heard of that problem. I'll add it to the todo list to investigate.

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

Post by JonathanTheBlack »

I never used continuous centering yesterday and the player was not able to auto-reveal. The token was a pc, the token had sight, and the token had light. There was vbl on the map (that I drew while the player was connected) and the fog of war was turned on and the map vision was set to night.

I tried moving the players token and it wouldn't reveal for me either. I'm trying to recreate what happened but am having no luck. I'll try again with actual players connected instead of two instances of maptool.

jfmays
Kobold

Post by jfmays »

I just came on looking for a solution to this exact problem.

I have a server started with "Players can expose fog", the server option. Token's have vision. At night they have light sources. Both the server and the clients have "auto expose fog" checked. Either a gm at the server or a client connected with the gm password can move the token and fog is revealed. If a client connected with the player password (with or without ownership of the token) moves the token, fog is not revealed.

maleitch
Cave Troll

Post by maleitch »

Sorry if this was covered already, but are those of you with problems have the tokens set to "snap to grid"? Will not work without that option either.

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

That may be the issue for some here but I thought a couple said it was working for one player but not others, which points to something else.

But to be thorough, you guys should check to make sure you are set for grid or hex movement and snap to grid is on. Auto reveal does NOT work with free movement which means ctrl-I must be hit after each move.
Last edited by Jector on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
I cast firecube! ~4E

LaserWolf
Dragon

Post by LaserWolf »

It's not a free-movement thing. Not in my case at least.

Return to “MapTool”