FOW + auto reveal.

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
el-d
Kobold

FOW + auto reveal.

Post by el-d »

I've had a browse but can't find the answer :(

We have a map set up with FOW , and character has a lightsource. Auto reveal is turned on.

When the player moves his character, the line of sight + the light range updates BUT it doesn't clear the FOW. It only works on already revealed areas. ie you can see the dim FOW area that shows you have been in the room but can't see any tokens outside of your light range.

If the DM moves the character then it auto clears the dark FOW correctly.
How can we set this up so that the FOW reveals when the player moves there character?

Cheers

El-d

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

Re: FOW + auto reveal.

Post by JonathanTheBlack »

I've been noticing this problem too.

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

FOW reveal is set at each client. You have it set on the DM's machine so it works but you don't have it set on the players machines.
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

mfrizzell wrote:FOW reveal is set at each client. You have it set on the DM's machine so it works but you don't have it set on the players machines.
This is not totally true unless I misunderstand you. That preference is set to only deal with what happens when a GM moves a token (or actually when Facing is updated).

As for the original poster, I am not quite sure what you mean. I have been working fairly extensively with FOW in the past few weeks and have not seen any issue with it working as I expect(well... at least not with things that are known limitations.) Could you provide a bit more detail on your settings? I assume you have a server started and the player is connected on a second machine or MapTool instance running AND the Server start dialog has the "Players can reveal Vision" is checked?
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

jfrazierjr wrote:
mfrizzell wrote:FOW reveal is set at each client. You have it set on the DM's machine so it works but you don't have it set on the players machines.
This is not totally true unless I misunderstand you. That preference is set to only deal with what happens when a GM moves a token (or actually when Facing is updated).
Then this has been broke for a long time as the only way for a connected token to auto-reveal FOW is to set it when you start the server and the client has to have auto-reveal set in their preferences. This has been this way since May 2009 when I started using MapTools.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

neofax wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote:
Then this has been broke for a long time as the only way for a connected token to auto-reveal FOW is to set it when you start the server and the client has to have auto-reveal set in their preferences. This has been this way since May 2009 when I started using MapTools.
Perhaps some testing is in order then. I did find that I misspoke, as it it referenced in two places, not just one though. The name of the preference in the code is "autoRevealVisionOnGMMove"

This is checked in both PointerTool (what does the token dragging/dropping stuff):

Code: Select all

if (renderer.getZone().hasFog() && AppPreferences.getAutoRevealVisionOnGMMovement() && (MapTool.getPlayer().isGM() || MapTool.getServerPolicy().getPlayersCanRevealVision())) {
and the FacingTool(which does the Facing change stuff):

Code: Select all

if (AppPreferences.getAutoRevealVisionOnGMMovement() && (MapTool.getPlayer().isGM() || MapTool.getServerPolicy().getPlayersCanRevealVision())) {

So, basically, for the former, it gets the path of the token and exposes the cells along the path if the following conditions are true:
  • Map has FOW enabled
  • the Preference is true
  • and the player is a GM
OR
  • Server is set to allow players to reveal vision(which obviously means a) the token is a PC and b) has a vision set with a range(and optionally on a night map, has a light source of some sort)

For latter, it's pretty much the same thing(although it should probably also add the check for FOW enabled to avoid running code that is not needed if FOW is off!!)
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

el-d
Kobold

Post by el-d »

the Server start dialog has the "Players can reveal Vision" is checked?
I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Will have to check that. DM probably starts up with the 'done this a thousand times no need to read' and ok's the server. We have only just started using FOW with light ranges and looked for settings in preferences etc

Hopefully that's it. Will have to check later on though.

Will let you know.
Cheers
El-d

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

el-d wrote:
the Server start dialog has the "Players can reveal Vision" is checked?
I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Will have to check that. DM probably starts up with the 'done this a thousand times no need to read' and ok's the server. We have only just started using FOW with light ranges and looked for settings in preferences etc

Hopefully that's it. Will have to check later on though.

Will let you know.
Cheers
El-d
Also, just to be sure, verify that the token in question is a PC and has an appropriate Vision type selected on the token edit dialog's Config tab.

LaserWolf
Dragon

Post by LaserWolf »

No I've definitely encountered this as well. I start my server with all options checked, all PC tokens have vision, etc. However, only one player's token will automatically remove fog. I'm assuming it's because he's the only player with the correct option selected in his preferences, but I've never asked.

EDIT: To be more accurate, I should say only one player can actually remove fog. Fog is always removed when I move the token, no matter which PC token it is.

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

The GM's preference should override any player preference about auto-reveal.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

JonathanTheBlack wrote:The GM's preference should override any player preference about auto-reveal.
As coded, most (all?) preferences end up being local, unfortunately - they don't propagate (though server policy could, which would work).

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Well, as noted, perhaps some testing in in order. I have never had the issue, but then again, I am always testing multiple instances on the same machine(which share preferences obviously!).

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

I just did some testing with one of my players. Default "Grasslands" map when you start. Started server and allows players to expose fog. Checked to make sure we both had the preference checked under Preferences > Application and it would not expose for the player nor even for myself.

maleitch
Cave Troll

Post by maleitch »

This is another reason why I think there should be some dedicated server option for a MapTool session. We played for the first time last night and everything went really smooth except for the FOW autoreveal.

If the players moved their tokens then it would not work, but if I as the DM moved their tokens it would reveal.

After rechecking all possible combinations of sight/vision/lightsource issues it turns out that the problem was because I did not set the AutoReveal preference on the MapTool that was running on the server. In hindsight this is obvious, but it sure would be nice if this was an option tied to the GM or the campaign, and not the local MapTool instance.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Works for me (as GM; didn't test as player). Check the following:

1. Start a Server > Players can reveal fog
2. Preferences > Application > Auto-expose fog on movement
3. Token has vision
4. Token is visible to players
5. Token is a PC
6. Token has a light source
7. Map > Fog of war is turned on
8. Map > Vision setting doesn't matter

When I drag the token, the area is exposed.

As Joe just posted the code, I completely expect it will work correctly for players as the code he posted is correct. 8)

Return to “MapTool”