UPnP Issue

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Blakey
Dragon

UPnP Issue

Post by Blakey »

I have 2 laptops at home. Both running 1.3b70. One runs Windows7 the other WindowsXP. When I try and start a server on each one (not at the same time!) with UPnP ticked the WindowsXP one works fine. the Windows7 version says that no UpnP devices were found. What gives?

Could Windows Firewall be a problem there? I thought that but then I switched it off and I got the same error.

Also, neither laptop will see a server that the other one has started even though they are on the same LAN. They simply don't come up in the LAN list and they cant connect if you try a local direct connect either.

Help! What is wrong with my new Windows7 lappy?

Blakey
The guy in the green hat.

maleitch
Cave Troll

Re: UPnP Issue

Post by maleitch »

Blakey wrote:I have 2 laptops at home. Both running 1.3b70. One runs Windows7 the other WindowsXP. When I try and start a server on each one (not at the same time!) with UPnP ticked the WindowsXP one works fine. the Windows7 version says that no UpnP devices were found. What gives?

Could Windows Firewall be a problem there? I thought that but then I switched it off and I got the same error.

Also, neither laptop will see a server that the other one has started even though they are on the same LAN. They simply don't come up in the LAN list and they cant connect if you try a local direct connect either.

Help! What is wrong with my new Windows7 lappy?

Blakey
Man this seems to happen quite a bit. There must be something with Windows 7. The fact that you can't connect across a local LAN seems to indicate an issue with local PC. I notice you are the same guy that asked about using a different port at work, is that an additional issue or did you resolve the above problem? Also if this is at your work then depending on your network configuration there could be all sorts of other issues involved.

Oh and be prepared to go over the Network FAQ that is posted here.

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

The win7 machine is a work laptop but its located on my home LAN. The other thread was to find out if it was worth trying some other ports at home as a test. Has anyone got MT working with win7 then?

Cheers!
Blakey

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Your Win7 laptop probably isn't on your home workgroup and probably doesn't have discovery turned on.

Try setting it to use a static IP and see if you can then at least use the direct connect to your other PCs LAN address.

BTW, what does any of this have to do with UPnP as you titled the thread?

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

The UPnP title is because I can't figure why I get the UPnP error on one laptop but not the other, when starting a server.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Again, you don't have network discovery enabled on the Win7 laptop so it isn't going to be able to find other devices on the network (or be found).

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Makes sense. How do I enable that? Sorry, total windows7 noob here!

TIA
Blakey

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Go into your Control Panel and select Network and Internet. Then select Network and Sharing Center. Then Advanced Sharing Settings and turn on Network Discovery under Home or Work. Not Public!

That should be enough.

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Hey Phergus,

Just tried that - but the Home setup was already set to discoverable. So that doesn't seem to be it. I do have a Domain settiing for when the lappy is at work but right now I'm at home so it goes into Home mode.

BTW, the reason this is a problem is that this is a work laptop that I haven't set up. I take it home too - where I'm running MT - and am trying to get it to work from there but no luck so far.

Really appreciate your help!
Blakey

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

While it is in your home network can you add it to your home workgroup? (Whatever your XP box says its workgroup is. System Properties -> Computer Name -> Workgroup) To get a Win7 Pro box to see other computers on my internal network it had to be in the same workgroup. (Not the same thing as Win7's homegroups.)

Can you ping your XP box from the Win7 laptop using the LAN IP? If it can't that would be a problem.

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Hmmm, home computers all use WORKGROUP but my work laptop is on a Domain and I don't have permission to swap it onto a Workgroup.

I suspect that means I'm scuppered, right?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I suspect so. Vista & Win7 both seem to be a lot more picky about connecting to other computers in the same subnet if they aren't also within same domain/workgroup.

Did you try pinging your MT server PC from the laptop? I am not giving it great odds since your earlier posts implied that you tried using Direct Connect and that failed.

maleitch
Cave Troll

Post by maleitch »

Blakey wrote:Hmmm, home computers all use WORKGROUP but my work laptop is on a Domain and I don't have permission to swap it onto a Workgroup.

I suspect that means I'm scuppered, right?
You are getting hung up on the windows networking aspects that are not necessary for working communication. This should not prevent you from accessing another computer. You may have to supply credentials, but it should not prevent communication. Although it is possible you IT admin has some funky group policy stuff going on.

Like Pergus said, you should start with pinging just to see if it is possible to hit the other computer, although it is possible that Win7 may be blocking ICMP packets but I doubt it. Also be sure to ping by ip address and not by hostname at the start.

I just pinged by Win7 box by ip address, NOT NAME, from my linux NAS and it had no problem. See if you can do the same.

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

I hate windows.

It's simply refusing to speak to any other PCs on my network - not even a ping by IP. I'm giving up trying to get MT to work on my work's laptop. It's like fort knox.

Thanks for the help all, as ever!
Blakey

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

It's not Windows' fault. Your work laptop is just setup to be secure. It is setup exactly as it should be for a corporate laptop.

Makes it pretty much useless for you to play games with but I'm sure that wasn't really a concern for them.

Return to “MapTool”