CharacterBridge

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Imper1um
Cave Troll

CharacterBridge

Post by Imper1um »

Hello everyone, I have finally completed the first two stages of "CharacterBridge". This is a C# Program that allows people to import and export Characters of any sort utilizing Bridge as a "link".

This system comes in two parts: The system itself and packages. The system itself is not enough to be able to import or export anything. By itself, it is a basic system with no ability to do anything. However, loading packages allows users to import and export characters as different formats. The packages control the import and export methods.

Link: http://www.imper1umdesigns.com/glwiki/CharacterBridge
(Both the Program and the Source are available there. I'm working on getting a SVN going for it)

Right now, Stage 1 (Planning) and Stage 2 (Pathfinder Base, D20PFSRD Statblock Importer, and Pathfinder Maptools Exporter) is completed.

Check it out. :) So far, it supports D20PFSRD Statblocks and Maptools Tokens (Export only).

Benz72
Giant

Re: CharacterBridge

Post by Benz72 »

neat, are you planning to relase packages for other systems?

Imper1um
Cave Troll

Post by Imper1um »

Well, the plan is currently:

1. Import: Pathfinder.HeroLab
2. Import: Pathfinder.Paizo
3. Cleanup

If I get requests for other systems, and the framework is already made, I could be persuaded into making an importer/exporter for other systems.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Is the Pathfinder and 3.5 stat blocks more or less the same? Can you also create a stat block given the monster data?

Imper1um
Cave Troll

Post by Imper1um »

Well, the idea was that the system was not tied down to Pathfinder Statblocks -> Maptools Tokens.

The system itself is built to take a "Character" and use it as the "Bridge" (hence the name Character Bridge).

Could you take a Paizo Statblock and turn it into a d20Pro Token? Yes.
Could you take a HeroLab Statblock and turn it into a statblock usable on GrandLodgeWiki? Sure.
Could you take a Maptools Token and turn it into a d20PFSRD Page? Possibly.
Are all the above currently possible? Yes, but they are not implemented.

CharacterBridge is just a framework (like Maptools :) ). The actual implementation requires development of packages. However, you ONLY need to write an importer or an Exporter (not both!) It would go into a "Character" object which another exporter would use it.

The system is also designed for you to be able to EDIT the Character (see the Edit Character tab) before you send it out as a token. WPF does a nice job of allowing me to edit it live.

-------------
On the area of 3.5 == Pathfinder, it's a Yes and No. CMB/CMD/Grapple will cause a little bit of an issue. Could you write something for it? Yes.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I've done some EDI work and lots of parsers, so I take it you have a master template where the data falls in to each item and then the export templates take your master template names and tweak it accordingly? That way the data stays universal and it's just the format that changes. I suppose I could just look at your code :D. I just haven't gotten around to it.

Here's something I found. I think it's for 3.5, not sure:
||| Stat Block |||
Name: Sex race class level/class level [[classes either in alphabetical or order entered]];
CR XX;
Size type (subtypes);
HD XXdXX+XX plus XXdXX+XX plus XX [[Group HD of the same die type together]];
hp XX [[Maximum hit points for the first PC class level, average for all monster Hit Dice and NPC classes]];
Init XX;
Spd XX ft.;
AC XX, touch XX, flat-footed XX;
Base Atk +XX;
Grp +XX;
Atk +XX melee (XXdXX, weapon);
Full Atk [[If any. If none, append Full Atk to Atk like so: Atk or Full Atk:]];
SA [[alphabetical order]];
SQ [[alphabetical order]];
AL XX;
SV Fort +XX, Ref +XX, Will +XX;
Str XX, Dex XX, Con XX, Int XX, Wis XX, Cha XX.

Skills and Feats: Skill +XX (+XX synergy situation) ;
Feat*, Bonus FeatB[[use a superscript B to denote a bonus feat, including those gained from class features]].

Languages: XX.

Special Attack 1 (type; Ex, Sp, or Su): Description. [[List attacks in alphabetical order.]]

Special Quality 1 (type; Ex, Sp, or Su): Description. [[List qualities in alphabetical order.]]

Class Spells [[Prepared or Known]] (caster level XXth; prohibited schools): Level ordinal [[0 for 0-level spells, not 0th]]ranged spell (+XX ranged touch), ranged and resisted spell (+XX melee touch; DC 14), resisted spell (DC 17), spell prepared multiple times (number of times), spell.

Spellbook: Level ordinal—spells not on prepared list.

Possessions: Armor, weapon, ranged weapon and ammo, permanent magic items, charged items, single-use items, mundane equipment, wealth. [[Italicize magic equipment, but not the words “scroll of”]]
When I found it I decided to hang on to it in order to make a monster db inside of maptools. I was just curious if you knew if 3.5 and Pathfinder follow the same guidelines for format.

Imper1um
Cave Troll

Post by Imper1um »

Yeah, there is some slight deviation. While the ordering is correct, making Regex conform to both is extremely difficult.

My work on Centralization might help a little.

CyrusStonecypher
Giant

Post by CyrusStonecypher »

I just installed CharacterBridge and downloaded Pathfinder.Maptools.Exporter.5.bpkg. Now how the heck do I use it? lol
I haven't been able to find documentation anywhere.

Return to “MapTool”