Turning a map into a JPEG

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Kethoth
Kobold

Turning a map into a JPEG

Post by Kethoth »

I have made some extensive maps using MapTool (an amazing program), but some of them are so detailed that they seem to take forever for the rest of my group to connect to. For some of the guys, it takes 15-20 minutes of opening up the 100-200 files that are found on the map.

I wonder if a fix for this would be to turn the map into a single JPEG? How would I go about doing this?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Re: Turning a map into a JPEG

Post by dorpond »

That really isn't the best fix, especially if your map is rather large in dimension.

How large is the campaign file? That will give me a good clue on how to help you out. Also, what is your grid setting set to? 50? 100? 200? That will also give me a clue.

Did you draw this map inside Maptool or bring in a premade map and then place a bunch of PNG files in it?

Tell me a bit about how you made this map and what it consists of.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

And you may want to review the Sticky thread in this forum that covers Memory in MapTool and Map Sizes. :)

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

although these ancient loremaster (azhrei and dorpond) both have a very good point they seem to forget the straight answer: menu-->file-->export
Next cram the export in Photoshop and change it to a jpg and reduce size (by lowering the dpi) if necessary.
I've created some monstrous maps in MT as well and have always noticed significant increase in speed when doing the above.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

wolph42 wrote:I've created some monstrous maps in MT as well and have always noticed significant increase in speed when doing the above.
Perhaps.

But should we say "do this" and hope it works? Or should we say "here are the options and the how&why" so that he can choose the best approach for his situation?

For example, the thread I referenced talks about how the "100-200 files" that he mentioned could just be ridiculously high-res and he could shrink them down (although that would require recreating his map).

I know people nowadays like cookbook approaches -- no one wants to learn anything any more -- but I prefer to teach people how to fish instead of giving them a fish. 8)

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Fish? Have I heard my name? :lol:

I wanted to point to the map export function as well but came to reason that the posted answers were much more valuable.

But I would have said it this way:

"You're probably better off with the answers already posted. These will help you better to improve your map performance. But in some, rare cases (some specific combinations of image resolutions, object numbers, map size, ...) you might improve by just flatting your image into a single jpg file"

and then a technical guidance would have followed, but that was posted already by wolph.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Azhrei wrote:I know people nowadays like cookbook approaches -- no one wants to learn anything any more -- but I prefer to teach people how to fish instead of giving them a fish. 8)
I prefer my version: "Build a man a fire, and you keep him warm for the night. Set a man afire, and he is warm for the remainder of his life."

(okay, it's not really mine; I saw something to that effect on the Interwebz once, and laughed out loud).

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

*laughing pants off*

ok ok maybe I should have phrased it a bit better, I too believe in setting people afire and trying to let them see the broader spectrum, however besides the good advice given, it was also a pretty clear question, which IM(apparently not so)HO should also be answered.

How fish worded it, was what I meant to say but we Dutch are just less subtle than the Germans... :wink: :mrgreen:

To expand your knowledge about how we Dutch think and why I (also) gave the straight answer, here a 'translation' of the first three posts of this topic, and my reply to those:
Kethoth: 'sir can you explain me how to cross this canal'
Dorpond: 'can you explain to me how big the canal is, how deep, how cold and which distance you wish to cross?'
Azhrei: 'and you may want to read this book on 'how do I learn to swim' and 'which swimming techniques for which canals are best'
me:'Although these wise men have very good points, if you look to the left, there's a bridge...'
:wink:

zEal
Dragon

Post by zEal »

wolph42 wrote:Kethoth: 'sir can you explain me how to cross this canal'
Dorpond: 'can you explain to me how big the canal is, how deep, how cold and which distance you wish to cross?'
Azhrei: 'and you may want to read this book on 'how do I learn to swim' and 'which swimming techniques for which canals are best'
me:'Although these wise men have very good points, if you look to the left, there's a bridge...'
Hah, that is great! :lol:

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

wolph42 wrote:Kethoth: 'sir can you explain me how to cross this canal'
LOL! Thanks, I needed that!

*still chuckling quietly...*

Kethoth
Kobold

Post by Kethoth »

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I have been unable to export the map, repeatedly getting java errors.

Here's how I made the map;

It was made entirely with MapTools (1.3.b77).

The grid size is 50.

The map size is roughly 50x120 squares.

Most of the map was drawn with MP textures and such, and was given added details by slotting in pictures from one of those two large file downloads on the tutorial page. There are over 100 such files imported into the map.

The map is mostly a dungeon, with a bit of outdoors at the mouth of the cave. It has been completely drawn with a VBL.

So, what did I do wrong?

Thanks.
Kethoth.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Have y ou tried the different export options specifically the export functions?
As for the parameters you mention they sound reasonable to me.

Return to “MapTool”