disconnections when players log on to the server

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
kandocomputers
Kobold

disconnections when players log on to the server

Post by kandocomputers »

ok, background - The one running the server is in California and I am a good friend and tech guy in New York. That said, specifics will have to go cross country and back so please be patient.

He went through the instructions and finally got his server up and running after about 6 weeks. The players try to log on and after the first one connects the server loses the internet connection and he has to reboot the computer.

He is running a P4 2.13 with 2gb ram, xp pro sp3 with the latest versions of Java and Maptools. All of the players are using the same Maptools version.

So, what comes to mind as to why this is happening?

Thanks

Phergus
Deity

Re: disconnections when players log on to the server

Post by Phergus »

First he should get the latest drivers for his network card and probably check for BIOS updates for his PC.

Then he should check for firmware updates for his router.

Finally grab the Networking FAQ from the HowTo forum. He may be having issues with some of the driver settings described in the FAQ.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

kandocomputers wrote:ok, background - The one running the server is in California and I am a good friend and tech guy in New York. That said, specifics will have to go cross country and back so please be patient.

He went through the instructions and finally got his server up and running after about 6 weeks. The players try to log on and after the first one connects the server loses the internet connection and he has to reboot the computer.

He is running a P4 2.13 with 2gb ram, xp pro sp3 with the latest versions of Java and Maptools. All of the players are using the same Maptools version.

So, what comes to mind as to why this is happening?

Thanks
Sounds to me like an ISP problem or possibly faulty router firmware. Some(most) ISP's have a Term of Service clause that explicitly prohibits running of a server on their networks. Most don't do anything about it unless it becomes an issue though. Also, it's possible that his network card is bad and given the age of the computer, this might be something to look into. Does he have any access to a secondary computer, a laptop would be easiest to bring in and test? This will at least determine if the problem is due to the network card or not.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

kandocomputers
Kobold

Post by kandocomputers »

After much back and forth the problem was fixed. He changed the buffer on his nic, an Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller, and now all the player can connect.

Thanks for your help, hopefully this will be of use to some one else.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

That's why the info was in the Networking FAQ. Glad y'all worked it out.

Inner Heru
Kobold

Post by Inner Heru »

Hello all I am the Cali Guy that Kando was speaking of. I just wanted to thank you all for the help and so far nearly everything is going very well (My issue will be brought up in another thread) indeed.

This was just a thank you for all you have done bringing this to us Game Players and for helping with my issue.
Confident. Cocky. Lazy. Dead.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

You're quite welcome. The folks that work on the tools and help out in the forums do it because they love gaming just like you.

Return to “MapTool”