Newbie need some help.

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Maculosa
Kobold

Newbie need some help.

Post by Maculosa »

Hello!

I'm new, but i discovered maptools about 2 week ago, and i must admit this look darn cool, this software look to have so many possibilities!

I would like to make a DD3.5 campain to play with some friend.
Unfortunatly this software is far from user friendly and i'm totally lost. I read many article, tutorials, forum thread etc but i still don't know how to correctly setup the program.

I would like to have some help on how to setup a basic DD3.5 campain, making character for my user to play, making monsters etc.

First things i need to know: need to know what exactly i need:

ex: Maptools, Other tools?, Which framework, which macros etc... and how to install/configure everything to be able to create a simple DD3.5 campain. (i already learned how to make basic map with lighning and FOW).

Thank for any help!.
Ps: sorry for bad english.

wolph42
Deity

Re: Newbie need some help.

Post by wolph42 »

The best advice I can give you is to start using map tools and looking at the video tutorials. Start your first game just with tokens and type eg /d20 in the chat to roll a die. When you get familiar with that you can start by having a look at the different frameworks there are on the forum. There are at least two that support 3.5. And it fully depends on your taste which to use.

As for tokens you can find a lot of download links on this forum to create a small library. Alternatively you can search the torrents for 'tokens'.

You mentioned that you allready got the basics about the maps down so it seems that. Your on the right track.

When you start encountering more concreet problems you can ask about them on this forum.

O and welcome to maptools!

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

Maculosa wrote:First things i need to know: need to know what exactly i need:

ex: Maptools, Other tools?, Which framework, which macros etc... and how to install/configure everything to be able to create a simple DD3.5 campain. (i already learned how to make basic map with lighning and FOW).

If you're going to play face to face you won't need another software. MapTool can handle all interactivity with your players. Anyway, you may use softwares you already know to manage GM informations. But this can also be achieved with MapTool when you'll know it better. Over the net you will need a voice over IP software.

Maculosa wrote:I would like to make a DD3.5 campain to play with some friend.
Unfortunatly this software is far from user friendly and i'm totally lost. I read many article, tutorials, forum thread etc but i still don't know how to correctly setup the program.

As wolph42 said, you need first to get a bit more comfortable with the basic use. If you didn't take a look to those ones until now, I'd suggest reading the Basic MapTool Use wiki pages in order as they appear on [wiki]Main_Page[/wiki], at least until Preferences descriptions, and practice what they show you.
If you didn't, you can watch basic video tutorials there.
All this will teach you how to use MapTool without a framework.

Maculosa wrote:I would like to have some help on how to setup a basic DD3.5 campain, making character for my user to play, making monsters etc.

That's the place were you'll need a framework to handle all game specific mechanisms. You'll find them in the Campaign File Frameworks subforum. They usually come as campaign files you download and open with MapTool. How to use them is unique to each one. You'll have to try and ask the designers your questions.

patoace
Dragon

Post by patoace »

Maculosa wrote:Ps: sorry for bad english.

Hi, Maculosa. If Spanish is your language, may be I can help you.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

@Maculosa: If you need help, send me an email at neofax99 <AT> gmail dot com. I am working in MapTools right now, so it is not a problem for me to setup a tutorial for you one on one.

Maculosa
Kobold

Post by Maculosa »

Thanks wolph42 for the tips, but for the tokens i dont really need to download image of tokens since i will make my owns. but is it how to set tokens with the stats of the monsters manuals to use them in games.

Im not going to play with Maptools face on face (since we do not have a projector) we will try to use it over internet using Skype for conversation.

thank you JML for your link to video tutorials... i haven't seen those, i will watch them since i'm more visual.

patoace: My born language is French, i do not know a single spanish word! :) Thank you for the offer.

neofax: I will send you an email! :) thank!

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

Maculosa wrote:patoace: My born language is French, i do not know a single spanish word! :) Thank you for the offer

Did you go to Natha's french MapTool site and forum ? You can also pay a visit to Le JDR en Ligne forum.
You will get additional informations there.

Return to “MapTool”