Help with possible glitch?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
xTimx
Cave Troll

Help with possible glitch?

Post by xTimx »

i just have this problem where i have a players character as a token and he has normal sight range on.
when i have Fog of war on thats where the trouble starts to brew.

The first pic is the GM view of the character in a fortress with normal vision on, everburning torches to the left and right of him.
MTs.jpg
MTs.jpg (131.99 KiB) Viewed 739 times
The second pic shows the token in players view mode. with fog of war on the front area is blacked out. (no light obviously in there)
MTs.jpg
MTs.jpg (131.99 KiB) Viewed 739 times
The third pic shows that the character is moving into the fog of war, but the fog of war is not retracting back?
MTs2.jpg
MTs2.jpg (77.18 KiB) Viewed 739 times
This is where it gets tricky....the player has moved into the darkness of the fog, and lost his ability to retrieve his character back and I have to go into GM mode to "fish the character out" for him
MTs3.jpg
MTs3.jpg (77.43 KiB) Viewed 739 times

this is probably not even a glitch and i'm still new at this whole thing, any tips and tricks? or what?
Attachments
MTs1.jpg
MTs1.jpg (66.95 KiB) Viewed 739 times
Last edited by xTimx on Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mfrizzell
Dragon

Re: Help with possible glitch?

Post by mfrizzell »

Have you turned on "Players can reveal vision" in the start server settings. Also in the campaign preferences everyone must check the box in preferences on the application tab, "Auto expose fog on token movement"
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

You have to be careful with vbl. I found using one continuous poly line to work the best without glitches.. just keep right clicking to extend (I hold the meta (ctrl key for windows) to snap the line to grid. With vbl that cuts through a square, if the FOW blocks the center point, the token "shouldn't" be able to enter that square. I actually have a lib token that enforces that rule. As for lighting, looks like you have breaks in your vbl. Also, when connecting vbl, sometimes it's not perfect. Like a I said, I've had the best luck with a single poly line, and then I fill in 1 square outside the borders of the vbl.

xTimx
Cave Troll

Post by xTimx »

mfrizzell wrote:Have you turned on "Players can reveal vision" in the start server settings. Also in the campaign preferences everyone must check the box in preferences on the application tab, "Auto expose fog on token movement"

yup and yup.... still doesnt work. in fact it doesnt even let the token move into the FOW to reveal it unless the character has the selection of a light source. for instance the only way to let the character reveal the FOW is to go into the light sources and select from the generic option of either 5' or what ever i choose to be. then i can move my token into the FOW.

maybe i'm just missing the point of something lol

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

mfrizzell wrote:Have you turned on "Players can reveal vision" in the start server settings. Also in the campaign preferences everyone must check the box in preferences on the application tab, "Auto expose fog on token movement"
No... not true.. Since around November of last year that preference ONLY affects the GM when they move the token. Players reveal if Players can reveal vision = true AND Movement removes FOW(or whatever it is callsed) = true on the server start dialog.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

End result: a player on a client connected machine should not be able to move their token into FOW area. The question is WHY is the vision not revealing?

What are your server start up settings?
Map Vision Type(Map->Vision menu item)?
Token Has Vision enabled?
Token Vision type selected?
Token has light source or not?
MapTool Version used?
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Well, I've run across this just yesterday myself. When I created my vbl I used overlapping blocks of vbl. I moved a token where the center appears "on the line" of the vbl and it exposed the whole backend. Note that the areas exposed were solid vbl. So, I removed all my vbl and covered the whole area is a solid block of vbl and cut out the halls and rooms. The cutouts were overlapping as well as I did them (not sure if that matters) and I had the same results. Not until I traced all the walls with a single poly line did the behavior stop. Btw, before redoing the vbl for the second time, I tried to patch the vision and movement leaks by covering it with the single poly line, but that didn't work.

xTimx
Cave Troll

Post by xTimx »

jfrazierjr wrote:End result: a player on a client connected machine should not be able to move their token into FOW area. The question is WHY is the vision not revealing?

What are your server start up settings?
Map Vision Type(Map->Vision menu item)?
Token Has Vision enabled?
Token Vision type selected?
Token has light source or not?
MapTool Version used?

What are your server start up settings? The only ones checked ON are "players can reveal vision", "auto reveal on movement", and "restricted player impersonation"

Map Vision Type(Map->Vision menu item)? it is set to night (i thought thats the only way ur supposed to do it when your in an enclosed housing unit like a fortress or inside a cave or tavern)

Token Has Vision enabled? Yes

Token Vision type selected? Normal

Token has light source or not? None, HOWEVER, not unless i have pick the option in the (Light source>Generic>5,15) will that character be able to reveal the FOW, since that particular character is not carrying any lightsource such as a torch and the such.

MapTool Version used? the most updated version, 1.3B86

xTimx
Cave Troll

Post by xTimx »

aliasmask wrote:Well, I've run across this just yesterday myself. When I created my vbl I used overlapping blocks of vbl. I moved a token where the center appears "on the line" of the vbl and it exposed the whole backend. Note that the areas exposed were solid vbl. So, I removed all my vbl and covered the whole area is a solid block of vbl and cut out the halls and rooms. The cutouts were overlapping as well as I did them (not sure if that matters) and I had the same results. Not until I traced all the walls with a single poly line did the behavior stop. Btw, before redoing the vbl for the second time, I tried to patch the vision and movement leaks by covering it with the single poly line, but that didn't work.

so your saying that "single" poly lines would be better than just drawing in whole hollow squares then going back and using your shift key to "undo" the VBL lines on doors and openings?

do you realize how much time i would be consuming by doing that? lol. its just that much more harder and time consuming if i did it that way really :( and sometimes you have to make maps up on the fly during your campaign (if something out of the blue happens) and doing single poly drawn lines would take forever to do, instead of the overlapping lines of putting in a hollow box VBL lines.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I don't know. I can do the single poly lines pretty fast. Just left click, and right click to continue line. I hold the ctrl key so it locks to the grid most of the time.

Return to “MapTool”