1.4?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Sydious
Giant

1.4?

Post by Sydious »

So I know there is probably no date that can be given on when 1.4 would be coming around, I'm just wondering....

Is this something that will happen within a year? or longer?

Saw posts previously about the macro language going ka-put when 1.4 comes around and am fearing all the learning I have been doing as of later is going to be for naught. I assume there will be quite some time between then and now?

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Re: 1.4?

Post by CoveredInFish »

I would not stop and wait for 1.4

It'll be serious time (months probably) until they release something useable. What feature set they have in the first releases, how stable/usable it is at that time and whether the macro language is dropped in an early state or not only the magic crystal ball can tell.

You have to play and use some MapTool until then, or not? :)

Another argument is: if you have learned MapTool specific coding it is likely that this will be useful for you anyway. Learning a different language (it'll be javaScript) is much easier if you already know coding. MapTool specific functions will probably be called the same, work the same or have only minor differences. The syntax differences will be huge, but quickly learned.

Note that i'm no dev but amalgamated this from past forum posts and personal experience.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: 1.4?

Post by jfrazierjr »

Sydious wrote:So I know there is probably no date that can be given on when 1.4 would be coming around, I'm just wondering....

Is this something that will happen within a year? or longer?

Saw posts previously about the macro language going ka-put when 1.4 comes around and am fearing all the learning I have been doing as of later is going to be for naught. I assume there will be quite some time between then and now?

What CiF said.... but you know that you don't HAVE to upgrade and/or use development releases right? Also, there has been a bunch of "we should do this" in 1.4 on the dev forums/mailing lists, but my personal opinion would be to do very little in the way of user "see able" functional changes for 1.4 and more in getting things set up properly to make future versions much easier to code/extend. One big part of that will be converting to a plug-in architecture which is pretty much entirely behind the scenes to the end user.

There really cannot(or at least should not) be any major overhaul to the user interface until JavaFX 2 is out(due out in Dec "ish" for Windows and sometime later for other OS's) and then there will be several rounds of bugfixes and such, so I would hope 1.4 does not tackle that bear otherwise the 1.4 release would be quite a long time down the road just because of that alone(JavaFX 2 will help bring MUCH better support for the latest HTML/CSS standards.)

Ultimately, just don't worry too much about it. One thing you can do to make it much easier on yourself both now and for when the old MTScript code is dropped out is to modularize your code as much as possible. ie, reduce macro size and have macros call into each other rather than a few monolithic macros.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “MapTool”