small fixer?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
xTimx
Cave Troll

small fixer?

Post by xTimx »

last night, i had my enemies set up so they had improved invisibility on them, so naturally they are on the hidden layer on MT's.

however when i try to add them to initiative there's no option to do so. I can only add the enemies when they are on token layer.

would it be possible to add it in to the hidden layer?

mfrizzell
Dragon

Re: small fixer?

Post by mfrizzell »

You could put them on the token layer but make them not visible to players. You can also hide npc's in the initiative order.
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

mfrizzell wrote:You could put them on the token layer but make them not visible to players. You can also hide npc's in the initiative order.
Yes, that is the correct solution, though replace "could" with "should". Things are "tokens" as defined by being on the token layer. Things on the hidden layer are not defined as tokens, but "objects" and what won't change. So, just to be clear here, there is certain functionality that changes/is limited/is not present(or allowed) based upon the layer the thing lives on.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

xTimx
Cave Troll

Post by xTimx »

so your saying....if I ALREADY have the tokens of the monsters set up on a certain part of the map. a couple of them are on the token layer and a few of them are in the hidden layer (because those have improved invisibility) and the players tokens come into play...and the monster tokens start the initiative off by hitting the pc's first.....i would have to bring back the tokens from the hidden layer back to the token layer..

is it just me but would that let the players SEE the tokens that come from the hidden layer to the token layer.....JUST to add them into the initiative, then have them back into the hidden layer to resume play.

do you get what i'm trying to say here though? lolol

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

xTimx wrote:so your saying....if I ALREADY have the tokens of the monsters set up on a certain part of the map. a couple of them are on the token layer and a few of them are in the hidden layer (because those have improved invisibility) and the players tokens come into play...and the monster tokens start the initiative off by hitting the pc's first.....i would have to bring back the tokens from the hidden layer back to the token layer..

is it just me but would that let the players SEE the tokens that come from the hidden layer to the token layer.....JUST to add them into the initiative, then have them back into the hidden layer to resume play.

No.. I am saying keep your combatants on the token layer and don't move them from that...period(well, in my case, I move the "dead" ones to the hidden layer so the players don't see them.. but they won't be coming back or back into the init order either for that matter)

Use the mechanism designed to keep players from seeing enemies, namely what I said which is on the Token Edit dialog named "visible to players". your trying too hard to put a square peg in a round hole(or I am trying to hard to keep you from doing that!!!)
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

xTimx
Cave Troll

Post by xTimx »

jfrazierjr wrote:
xTimx wrote:so your saying....if I ALREADY have the tokens of the monsters set up on a certain part of the map. a couple of them are on the token layer and a few of them are in the hidden layer (because those have improved invisibility) and the players tokens come into play...and the monster tokens start the initiative off by hitting the pc's first.....i would have to bring back the tokens from the hidden layer back to the token layer..

No.. I am saying keep your combatants on the token layer and don't move them from that...period(well, in my case, I move the "dead" ones to the hidden layer so the players don't see them.. but they won't be coming back or back into the init order either for that matter)

Use the mechanism designed to keep players from seeing enemies, namely what I said which is on the Token Edit dialog named "visible to players". your trying too hard to put a square peg in a round hole(or I am trying to hard to keep you from doing that!!!)

ahhhhh why didnt you just say that "Visible to players" token edit dialog in the first place :P lolol

thanx bud! mucho appreciated!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

It's also available on the right-click menu of the token for faster access.

If you haven't watched the GM tutorial screencasts, you really should. This kind of thing is in there. ;)

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

mfrizzell wrote:You could put them on the token layer but make them not visible to players. You can also hide npc's in the initiative order.

I believe I said that at the beginning.
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

xTimx
Cave Troll

Post by xTimx »

lol ya ya ya i'm still trying to figure out the short cuts of maptools.

Return to “MapTool”