Riding on a boat and a hosting question

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
ziltmilt
Dragon

Riding on a boat and a hosting question

Post by ziltmilt »

PCs in my adventure are going to be riding on a raft. Is there a way to use tokens to do this? Can I have a rectangular shape move down a river on the map?

also, can a player host a game on his PC, with the GM as a client? So, the GM client would have all the GM permissions and the host would just have regular player permissions? I'm sure this question has come up before - my apologies for any repitition.

And, to repeat many, many others ... this software rocks! I love it!

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Right now we have found that putting a raft down first, then the tokens on top seems to work the best (so that the boat is on the botttom), you can then group select them by dragging a box around then and moving them as a group.

A player can host the server and connect as a PC, then the GM can connect as a GM with all rights and privileges.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

ziltmilt
Dragon

Post by ziltmilt »

Thanks again, Trevor. So, would the raft object just be another token? Or could this be a drawn shape?

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

It would have to be a token, since drawn shapes can't yet be moved after they're drawn.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Steel Rat wrote:It would have to be a token, since drawn shapes can't yet be moved after they're drawn.
Correct. There are actually lots of premade boats and rafts if you check out http://rpgmapshare.com and some of the other external sites listed on the links page
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

The only problem you will have with this method is that you will not be able to rotate the boad and all the objects one the boat easily. When you select them all and tell them to rotate, the huge ship is going to spin but so are the tokens; they will stay in place and spin too.

So keep that in mind when you move your raft/ship - you will want it to keep it's facing throughout the adventure.

Once we can group objects, and make them one, this will no longer be a problem. Then when we get to our destination, we simply ungroup them. Expect this type of functionality in future versions.

DMFTodd
Cave Troll

Re: Riding on a boat and a hosting question

Post by DMFTodd »

Thread resurrection!!!

Where is this "rotate" command to turn the token? I sure can't find it.

And what do you do with a token that is larger than colossal? In this case, I've got a 50' long boat, not just a raft. Can I get Maptools to size that correctly?

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

DMFTodd wrote:Thread resurrection!!!

Where is this "rotate" command to turn the token? I sure can't find it.

And what do you do with a token that is larger than colossal? In this case, I've got a 50' long boat, not just a raft. Can I get Maptools to size that correctly?
I think it's called "Set Facing" as opposed to "Rotate".
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

DMFTodd
Cave Troll

Post by DMFTodd »

Never mind, more searching found it.

Rotate: Ctrl+Shift+Mouse Wheel.

Larger size: Change token to an object, size it as you want.

Return to “MapTool”