Start Server, Does Nothing (Ubuntu 11.10)

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
somber
Kobold

Start Server, Does Nothing (Ubuntu 11.10)

Post by somber »

So hey there!
I've been trying to start a server, however upon filling out the information and clicking "OK" absolutely nothing happens.
I checked the log.txt file in .maptools but it's completely empty.
Last edited by aliasmask on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Bug Reports to MapTool

Akodo Makama
Giant

Re: Start Server, Does Nothing (Ubuntu 11.10)

Post by Akodo Makama »

somber wrote:So hey there!
I've been trying to start a server, however upon filling out the information and clicking "OK" absolutely nothing happens.
I checked the log.txt file in .maptools but it's completely empty.
Are you using Sun-Java, or OpenJDK? Maptool doesn't network well under OpenJDK.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Akodo Makama wrote:Are you using Sun-Java, or OpenJDK? Maptool doesn't network well under OpenJDK.
The Download and Launch pages on the web site specifically say that but it seems no one reads them. :(

username
Dragon

Post by username »

Azhrei wrote:
Akodo Makama wrote:Are you using Sun-Java, or OpenJDK? Maptool doesn't network well under OpenJDK.
The Download and Launch pages on the web site specifically say that but it seems no one reads them. :(
It's a shame that MT doesn't work with OpenJDK, I don't have problems with other applications and networking. Rumour on this forum has it that a 3rd party lib is causing problems. Even if we can't do without the lib, maybe there is an exception to catch that can be notified "Consider using Sun-JRE instead of Open-JRE" (or somesuch).

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

username wrote:It's a shame that MT doesn't work with OpenJDK,
Yeah, for a lot of reasons.
Rumour on this forum has it that a 3rd party lib is causing problems.
I haven't dug into it but I expect there's a library that relies on some implementation-defined language feature and it's different from the Oracle Java to the OpenJDK. No proof of that though, so your use of the word "rumor" is 100% appropriate. ;)
Even if we can't do without the lib, maybe there is an exception to catch that can be notified "Consider using Sun-JRE instead of Open-JRE" (or somesuch).
It's not an exception. It's a feature that doesn't function properly. There are two problems in the networking code that I know of that cause the OpenJDK to hang and one that causes the OpenJDK to return a failure code where the Oracle Java succeeds. I don't know specifically where the problem is, but I know that starting a server triggers one of them. Oh, and I think there's a difference in the way the java.util.Zip stuff works as I seem to recall that MT running on the OpenJDK has problems reading campaign files...

The Apache Commons libraries have all been updated for the latest versions of various standards and that's what caused the UPNP library to break. I've fixed that one, but I'm sure there are a bunch of older libraries that could be updated. But it will break anything to do so? Hm...

(The Apache XML parsing library now implements namespaces correctly and the UPNP library uses XML to talk to the router. Since some routers started using namespaces, the UPNP stuff broke. It actually gets very complicated as there are differing opinions on how default namespaces should be used vs. how the standard says they should work. Whichever way you go it makes parsing the XML a mess. Which meant there was no simple fix for the UPNP library. :()

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azhrei wrote: (The Apache XML parsing library now implements namespaces correctly and the UPNP library uses XML to talk to the router. Since some routers started using namespaces, the UPNP stuff broke. It actually gets very complicated as there are differing opinions on how default namespaces should be used vs. how the standard says they should work. Whichever way you go it makes parsing the XML a mess. Which meant there was no simple fix for the UPNP library. :()
Hmm.... I did not look into it in detail, but that does not sound quite right from what I recall(not saying that people have different opinions on how it "should" work, but going by the way most XML parsers implement the standard), the issue was the when a namespace is in a document, you must declare that namespaces to the parser so that XPath queries don't just pick some random element with the tag named "<Foo>", but pick the tag named "<Foo>" if and only if it belongs to namespace "http://temp.org". While this is quite a big PITA, it really is the best way to approach XML. The old XML library did not understand namespaces at all (or implemented then incorrectly) and thus could have easily picked out the wrong "<Foo>" tag.

Ultimately, using default namespaces is never a good viable approach unless you NEVER use a namespace prefix in your document. If you have more then one namespace defined, then EVERY element should have a namespace. This is much more for the human than the XML parser to make it easier for the human to understand and know exactly what namespace a particular element(or attribute) belongs to.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

username
Dragon

Post by username »

Azhrei wrote:
username wrote:It's a shame that MT doesn't work with OpenJDK,
Yeah, for a lot of reasons.
Rumour on this forum has it that a 3rd party lib is causing problems.
I haven't dug into it but I expect there's a library that relies on some implementation-defined language feature and it's different from the Oracle Java to the OpenJDK. No proof of that though, so your use of the word "rumor" is 100% appropriate. ;)
Looks like the rumour was a false one (I hope I found the true cause). I sent you a patch. For the testers that can't wait, I attached it here as well.
Attachments
StartServerOpenJDK.txt
(845 Bytes) Downloaded 30 times

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Thanks. I'll try to get it committed over the weekend so it gets into SVN. Also get a patch in there to trap infinite exception loops as well.

Return to “MapTool”