MapScaleTool v1.01

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: MapScaleTool v1.01

Post by Azhrei »

DMFTodd wrote:I can't seem to get Amaril's method to work. The image of the map is in the background, the image has a little box in the lower-right corner with 4 arrows on it. I'm trying to use that to resize the map image, but it only drags it. Is there someway to resize the map in the background?

Or, hopefully, this very basic need has addresses?
Hmm, works for me just fine. :( This is the technique I'm always using...

Try zooming in a bit on the corner of the image -- the resizing box won't change size but maybe there's some strangeness in grabbing the resize box at a particular zoom level? (Just grasping at straws here.)

DMFTodd
Cave Troll

Post by DMFTodd »

It does appear to be the zoom, thanks (or, zoomed way in I can't really tell what is going on maybe). But...

I just tried a half dozen Paizo maps and can't get any of them to work on this method. Is there a keyboard method for resizing the image because trying to move it one pixel with the mouse is a PITA.

Frankly, I don't see how this could work. Sure, I can get the image and the grid to be very close for one square. But if it is one pixel off, then 20 squares away the grid is 20 pixels off. The grid and the image can't be resized any finer than one pixel, so I don't see how you can get them close enough to match.

IMarvinTPA
Dragon

Post by IMarvinTPA »

Here's how I do it:
Count squares
Count pixels from outer most corners of that line of squares.
Resize the entire image to new calculated size.

That's why there are two sizes per dimension. One for the total image size and another for counted squares distance.

(Or my preferred technique, find a VTT version of the map already sized with regular squares, frequently made by Campaign Cartographer, Dundjinni, or well done in Gimp/Photoshop)
(Or my secondary preferred technique, make a new map with Dundjinni.)

I hate scanned maps because of this problem.

IMarv

CyrusStonecypher
Giant

Post by CyrusStonecypher »

Kizan, you're my hero!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I like trying to size the map to the correct scale, but sometimes it's just too big. It would be nice to have some macro scaling option, rather than doing it by hand. I have a macro I use for positioning my maps, ie:

[h: id = findToken("TwoFlanaessMapFull")]
[r: moveToken(1375,670,1,id)]
Map should be named "TwoFlanaessMapFull" and be at position 1375,670.

Before I write the macro, I make sure to unsnap it to grid, then I getTokenX() and getTokenY() of where I like it, then I hard code the numbers in to the above macro.

So, I can now delete the map and edit it in PSP and add it back without losing all my other graphics relative to that picture. But if I have to scale it by hand, it doesn't work as well.

osman
Giant

Post by osman »

I just wanted to throw some more information in here. I've been throwing together a little application to do nothing but scale maps (and do so as easily as possible). However, before doing so I stumbled on another simple way to get the correct dimensions (without counting or trying to measure). If you use/have Inkscape, it's pretty easy:

1) Make an Inkscape document with a rectangular grid at the same dimensions you want to use for your map. In my case, I have a 50 px grid.

2) Import the image you want to scale. This creates a draggable/resizable object in Inkscape. Adjust the size of the object until it lines up like you want. This goes pretty quick if you're used to using Inkscape.

3) Export the selected object as a bitmap from Inkscape. This will automatically make it the correct size, too. Alternately, if you want to do better resizing/filtering (in Photoshop, etc...), you can easily read the correct dimensions straight off the toolbar.

jexinator
Kobold

Post by jexinator »

Hello,

I bought CC3 with CD3 a couple of week ago and I tried different things with those programs but when I export the map to jpg or bmp or png and I want to use it with MT I have some problem adjusting the grid.
Does this excel sheet can help me ? Because when you export map in CC3 there is withe parts if the map is too small.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Yes, this will help. But you should check out the other sticky threads related to maps and memory sizes as well.

jexinator
Kobold

Post by jexinator »

Ok, it is certainly me but after hours of using the MapScaleTool I still dont get a good result so I found a small trick to have grid at good scale on the map ;
I create a new map, then I adjust the grid and then I add the map but as a token on the Background layer. Resize the "map" token and tada !!
It is a primitive method but I still have problems with MapScaleTool.
Does the map border decoration of CC have an influence on the pixel counting ??
And what if I have white borders like this

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

MapScaleTool has two lines where you input your images pixel width and height. The first line should be the whole picture and the second is only the height and width of the blocks you could count. So, if your image has a border that is 20 pixels all around, you would have a difference of 40 pixels for both height and width on the second line. Also, if you use GIMP, it is very easy to align the grid as you can set the grid up in GIMP as 50x50 or 100x100 and then use the numbers from MapScaleTool and wiggle the numbers until it is dead on. The GIMP also allows you to lock either height or width for those maps that have rectangular grids.

yad
Kobold

Post by yad »

So I've read multiple methodologies used here to scale a map image and grid for use in Maptool. I thought I'd contribute how I go about doing it. To date, I have yet to find a map image that I could not get to line up exactly with the grid in MapTool. I haven't really seen an exacting level of detail in how to adjust a map image to fit the grid in MapTool, but still, I hope I'm not duplicating efforts here.

Tools Used:
1.) Gimp
2.) MapScaleTool v1.01

Steps to configure map:

1.) Start up Gimp and open the map image file for editing. File --> Open [Browse and select your image]. Take note of the size (Width and Height) of the image file. It will be displayed in the title bar of the image window.

3.) Open the MapScaleTool v1.01 workbook and enter the size of the original image (that you just opened in Gimp) in the Step 1 box 'Original Image Dimensions'.

4.) Zoom the image (using the + or - key to a size that is comfortable for you to view and count the squares on the map.

5.) Select the Measurement tool from the Gimp Toolbox Image. The default setting for the Measurement Tool is in Pixels. Do not change this setting.

6.) Using the Measurement Tool, start at the leftmost square of the map itself, press and hold the left mouse button and draw a line to the rightmost square. The total pixel count (i.e., the measurement) will be displayed at the bottom of the Gimp image window when you let go of the mouse button. Record this number in Left-to-Right box of Step 2 (in the MapScaleTool workbook).

NOTE: This line must be straight. If the leftmost and rightmost squares are diagonal from each other you will still need to draw a straight line. You'll have to estimate the position of one of the squares. In addition, as soon as you start to draw one measurement, the previous one will disappear.

7.) Do the exact same thing that you just did except this time draw the line from the topmost square to the bottommost square. The same caveats apply.

8.) Now, following the same line you just drew to make the measurement, count the number of squares. Do this for both the Left-to-Right and Top-to-Bottom lines. Record each value respectively in Step 3, 'Squares Counted', of the MapScaleTool workbook.

9.) In the Step 4 box of the MapScaleTool workbook, 'Desired Grid Size', pick the size of the Grid in pixels. The default size in MapTool is 40. After you choose the number of squares you will see a value appear the Green 'Resize to These Dimensions' box.

10.) In the Gimp image window navigate to: Image --> Scale Image

11.) Click on the chain link icon to the right of the Image Size Width and Height values. This will prevent Gimp from automatically adjusting the either the Width or Height of the image as you input values. Keep the default of pixels.

12.) Enter the values derived in the MapScaleTool workbook into the Gimp Scale Image window. Click Ok. You should now have a newly scaled image of your map. Odds are the image will be larger than the original. Now it's time to adjust the Gimp Grid to work with the Maptool grid.

13.) In the Gimp Image window click on: View --> Show Grid

14.) In the Gimp Image window click on: Image --> Configure Grid

The Spacing section is equivalent to the 'Desired Grid Size' you selected in the MapScaleTool workbook. The Offset section allows you to adjust (either dynamically or individually the Height (Horizontal line) or Width (Vertical line) of the Grid. Keep the default of Pixels.

NOTE: VERY IMPORTANT! These are the values that you will ultimately use when you bring the map image into Maptool.

15.) In the Spacing section enter the number that you used in the 'Desired Grid Size' box in the MapScaleTool workbook.

NOTE: After you enter value in the Grid Configuration window you can press the Tab button on your keyboard. You will move the cursor to the next field, but more importantly you will see the grid automatically adjust to take into account the new value you entered.

16.) Now, just as you did when Scaling the map image, click on the chain link icon in the Offset section. You do not have to click on the chain link icon in the Spacing section.

17.) You should now have a visible grid that is pretty closely aligned to the Scaled map image. You will now tweak the individual grid lines using the Offset values in the Configure Grid window.

A.) With the chain link 'broken' (you did click on it as directed in the Step 16 of this guide, right?) Begin to enter values into the Width field. Positive values with move the Vertical grid line to the right. Negative values will move the Vertical grid line to the left. Once you have aligned the Vertical grid line to your map image. Make a note of the final value. You will need to enter this value into the MapTool grid adjustment window.

B.) Do the exact same thing with the Height field. This will move the Horizontal grid line on the map image. Again, note the final value.

You should now have all the elements and information you need to bring the map image into Maptool:
1.) A properly scaled image.
2.) The Desired Grid Size value (basically the number of squares that will appear on your map)
3.) The Width (Vertical) and Height (Horizontal) Offsets that will determine the final positioning of your grid

18.) Start Maptool and open the scaled map image file: Ctrl-N --> [Select the map image from your Resource Library or click on the Filesystem button in the bottom left corner and navigate to your scaled map image file].

19.) Press Ctrl-Shift-A to bring up the Adjust Grid window.

A.) Enter the value you used in the Spacing section of the Gimp Configure Grid window in the Grid Size field.
B.) Enter the Width (Vertical) value you used in the Offset section of the Gimp Configure Grid window in the Offset X field.
C.) Enter the Height (Horizontal) value you used in the Offset section of the Gimp Configure Grid window in the Offset Y field.

Click the Close button.

Well that should do it. You should now have a nicely aligned grid in the MapTool application.

Useful Tip: Most likely the initial grid you are using in MapTool has been configured in a 1:1 ratio. Meaning that you have exactly aligned one grid square to one square on the map image. If you want to double or quadruple the number of squares on the Grid, and thus allow you to use more tokens while still keeping the overall grid aligned, simply decrease the Grid size in the Adjust Grid window by half. If your grid becomes misaligned you can simply go back to Gimp and repeat steps 16 and 17 to derive the new Offsets (X & Y).

Hope this was useful. It may seem like a lot of steps...ok, it is a lot of steps :), but once you do a couple of maps it is actually quite intuitive and easy to pull off.

Yad

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Am I the only one who simply drops the map on the Background layer, sets it to freesize, and then uses Shift-left-drag to size the map until it fits the grid (visually)? I can usually get the map sized within 2-3 minutes, tops.

And because my maps always have to be scaled upwards, I'm saving memory! If I scaled it up in GIMP, the pixel count could go way up and consume both more memory and more network bandwidth.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

I use the exact same method as yad. Azhrei, the problem though is sizing up makes the map grainy. I obsess about this and have the memory, so it doesn't kill me. My problem is consistency I wish I had the artistic skill as many of the people here on the forum.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Azhrei wrote:Am I the only one who simply drops the map on the Background layer, sets it to freesize, and then uses Shift-left-drag to size the map until it fits the grid (visually)? I can usually get the map sized within 2-3 minutes, tops.

And because my maps always have to be scaled upwards, I'm saving memory! If I scaled it up in GIMP, the pixel count could go way up and consume both more memory and more network bandwidth.
same here. I do use Photoshop though to clean up and edit the map, but the grid align I do by hand.

would be nice though if you could click on two opposite corners of a square on the map and it automatically sizes the total map to the grid. Just a thought.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

neofax wrote:I use the exact same method as yad. Azhrei, the problem though is sizing up makes the map grainy. I obsess about this and have the memory, so it doesn't kill me. My problem is consistency I wish I had the artistic skill as many of the people here on the forum.
I'm not that concerned about grainy maps. This is a game that requires the use of your imagination, so having a slightly grainy map isn't a problem for me. Although I can certainly understand that someone who has an absolutely beautiful map (a work of art, really) would not want to scale it up as I described.

But in that case, if the artwork is really so good, simply adjust the MT grid to be the size of the grid on the map. For example, MT defaults to a 50px grid, but if your map has a grid at 25px, then change the MT grid. Now you've got an exact one-to-one ratio and it can't possibly be grainy. ;) (Or at least, no more grainy than the original was to begin with. Which might happen if you're taking a screenshot of a zoomed out image, for example.)

Return to “MapTool”