Connection time-out problem.

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
sleepy
Kobold

Connection time-out problem.

Post by sleepy »

When other players try to connect to me, they receive the timed out error message. Here are my settings:
1. Windows 7 v. 6.1
2. build 1.6.0_31-b05
3. Ipv4 address: 192.168.2.102
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway:192.168.2.1
4. 1.3.b87, java webstart
5.Local Address: 192.168.2.102
6. I've only gotten as far as step one; canyouseeme.org couldn't see me at all.

Now, I can connect with myself or with other computers over the LAN network just fine. So far I've tried fowarding a port on my router and turning off my firewall, as well as uninstalling AVG (was going to do it eventually, don't worry). Still to no avail. Why can't other players connect?
Last edited by sleepy on Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: UPnP problem

Post by aliasmask »

UPnP is broken in b87. You can go back to b86 or just use port forwarding.

sleepy
Kobold

Post by sleepy »

Yes, read that somewhere and am now using b86.

So UPnP works, but now we're getting the usual "connection: timed out" problems. Tried turning firewall off, port forwarding, connecting directly to modem, multiple port #'s. Nothing's working.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

You can't use port forwarding and UPnP at the same time. I recommend using b87 and port forwarding. There is a FAQ you can read about setting it up properly.

sleepy
Kobold

Post by sleepy »

Right, I know that. That's just an alternative I used instead of UPnP. The main issue I'm having since I went to b86 is getting recognized on canyouseeme.org . My router is a WRT54G Linksys, if that helps. Here are some of its security options:

Block Anonymous Internet Requests
Filter Multicast
Filter Internet NAT Redirection
Filter IDENT(Port 113)

Right now the only one I have checked is filtering multicast and a faded box checking IDENT.

sleepy
Kobold

Re: Connection time-out problem.

Post by sleepy »

Thanks to the powers of TeamViewer and the parent of a friend who's an IP tech, it was figured out for me.

Even if you've disabled everything, always rely on your ISP to sneak another level in there. In my case is was enabling "IP Passthrough" for the home network. Once that changed, all systems were go.

And here I thought the modem would've been totally innocent in this whole affair. darn you BellSouth.

Novadros
Kobold

Post by Novadros »

I had a similar issue. We to upgraded to b87 to use Rumble's Framework, very nice btw, when my players couldn't login to the server. They kept getting the same messages as you all. After messing around with Single Port Forwarding in my router settings page I solved the issue. I added a new application and made sure the external/internal ports were the same as my rpserver. Then I verified that my IP address was right and saving the settings, my players were able to immediately log into the server.

Thanks for the help.

PokePal.Alexx
Cave Troll

Post by PokePal.Alexx »

Howd you do that..

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

PokePal.Alexx wrote:Howd you do that..
Take a look at [url=http:\\www.portforward.com]PortForward.com[/url]. Just select your routers make and model in the dropdowns and then I would select http as the tutorial, but change the port to 51234 or whatever you plan to use for MapTool.
Time-Zone information UTC -5

Return to “MapTool”