Attention: Windows Users using JAVA 7 with MapTool b87

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
kyuss11
Giant

Re: Attention: Windows Users using JAVA 7 with MapTool

Post by kyuss11 »

When I use the program (86) path,it says unable to access jar file maptool.How do I tell what or every version of java I have?I know I have 6,7 but it doesn't show a 32,64 extension.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

kyuss11 wrote:When I use the program (86) path,it says unable to access jar file maptool.How do I tell what or every version of java I have?I know I have 6,7 but it doesn't show a 32,64 extension.
32 programs can be found in c:\Program files (x86)\
64 programs can be found in c:\Program files\

in both you should look for a \java\ directory *that* directory contains \jre6\ and/or \jre7\ directories. From which you then know which versions you have.

kyuss11
Giant

Post by kyuss11 »

Ok,so when I use the program files,it just pauses for a sec and nothing loads.When I use the program(86) it comes up with a unable to access jar file maptool.Should I reinstall maptools and repaste the code?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

What are the paths that you are using? Where is your maptool install? Did you do a manual download? What does mt.cfg look like now? Are you running a shortcut or clicking on MapToolLauncher.exe directly?

kyuss11
Giant

Post by kyuss11 »

MAXMEM=1024
MINMEM=64
STACKSIZE=3
JVM=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw
PROMPT=false

I extracted maptool to my documents folder.
I'm using the maptool exe. and it doesn't do anything.I know I have a jre6 bin file under the program files but it doesn't seem to want to start.If I select the maptool jar file from the extract of maptools,then it loads up java7.

kyuss11
Giant

Post by kyuss11 »

MAXMEM=512
MINMEM=64
STACKSIZE=2
JVM=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw
PROMPT=true

Ok,for whatever reason,this code works for me to use java6.The only thing that was different from before is the max,min memory with the stack size.The funny thing is I can change those back when it prompts me.The settings I use is 1024,64,4.Now if I can help replicate this to my players,lol...Thanks for the advice guys :)

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

But you changed the file location too ("Program Files" vs "Progam Files (x86)").

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

He probably doesn't have the 64bit version installed which is why it's not finding it in the first post. If you can browse to that path and find the C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe file then it may just be a bad install and should be removed and reinstalled.

kyuss11
Giant

Post by kyuss11 »

But you changed the file location too ("Program Files" vs "Progam Files (x86)").
Right I also tried that path and it would come up as unable to access jar file maptool.The other thing I did was reboot my pc after making that change come to think of it so maybe it needed to reload,but its working now.I believe the best alternative to this headache is to release 1.4 and I would be willing to be a mentor and pay a membership because maptools overall has a way better system and functionality than vtt that already charge a fee.:) I know this is free just saying,pst me if you want to give me a beta,lol

Sol Invictus
Cave Troll

Post by Sol Invictus »

kyuss11 wrote:MAXMEM=512
MINMEM=64
STACKSIZE=2
JVM=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw
PROMPT=true

Ok,for whatever reason,this code works for me to use java6.The only thing that was different from before is the max,min memory with the stack size.The funny thing is I can change those back when it prompts me.The settings I use is 1024,64,4.Now if I can help replicate this to my players,lol...
Have them install the 32 bit version of java6 without changing the intall dir. Send them your mt.cfg file and have them replace theirs with yours. Have them try and see if MT works.
If it doesn't work: In the mt.cfg file, have them change "Program Files (x86)" to just "Program Files".
If you follow these steps it should work, regardless of their system.

aethelflaed
Cave Troll

Post by aethelflaed »

aliasmask wrote:The only thing I want for Xmas this year is to have a working patch of MapTool.
Ditto.

It's worth noting, though this is clearly not Kyuss's problem, that the dl file doesn't contain an mt.cfg file to start with - it is created the first time you launch MT with the launcher. This has confused myself and others upon new install.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

aethelflaed wrote:
aliasmask wrote:The only thing I want for Xmas this year is to have a working patch of MapTool.
Ditto.

It's worth noting the dl file doesn't contain an mt.cfg file to start with - it is created the first time you launch MT with the launcher. This has confused myself and others upon new install.
That's why I put the note below the config file. :)

Kjaere
Kobold

Post by Kjaere »

I actually had the same results as Kyuss11. I had tried both directories, reinstalled both Java installs but it didn't work until I set the memory and stack usage to 512 and 2 respectively. Previously I had tried using both the default values and the ones listed in the opening post of this thread. I'm not entirely certain why those specific values for memory and stack were the ones that allowed the client to launch.

With that said now I just have to figure out the java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Comparison method violates its general contract! error I've been getting. I haven't been able to test to see if it's still occurring since I downloaded the older version of Java, but hopefully that issue will be rectified as well.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

"Comparison method violates its general contract!"

I use to get that error. I think because I had a framework that shifted maps when loading, but I haven't seen that one for awhile and I still do switch maps on load (but perhaps differently now).

The best way to determine how much max mem to use is to go to task manager and look at your physical memory. If you have windows 7 with only 2 gigs of ram, then yes, you'll have problems with 1024 for your max, while 2 gigs with windows xp works fine. Upgrading to 4 gigs would solve that problem and ram is cheap.

forgottensoul
Kobold

Post by forgottensoul »

First thank you for the maptools. It has been a great tool for our online gaming and I would love to continue using it but I have a problem with it not supporting Java 7.

The issue is that Version 6 of Java will no longer be patched as of Feb 2013.
http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_6.xml
Java SE 6 End of Public Updates
After February 2013, Oracle will no longer post updates of Java SE 6 to its public download sites.

Some of my players are security concerned and may not work with Maptools after feb when the last patch to version 6 is done.

Is there any chance an updated version will be done by then or does the latest on Sourceforge work with version 7?

Thank you very much!

Return to “MapTool”