quick Q on performance

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Post Reply
User avatar
xTimx
Cave Troll
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:29 pm

quick Q on performance

Post by xTimx »

when ever i'm building a map from scratch, the more i put into the map the more "lag" i have on the map. anyway to fix this?
and my max/min mem on the program is: 1024/64 stack size 6

as for my PCs hardware i'm running: 16gigs of Ramm @ 1600mhz, 8 core CPU Bulldozer 3.9ghz for each core, 2 560 Ti's SLI'd

User avatar
aku
Dragon
Posts: 856
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:03 am
Contact:

Re: quick Q on performance

Post by aku »

Stack size 6 is pretty high. But dont use so many different images. 1 tree, repeated, re-sized, and rotated 6 times is more efficient than 6 different trees, and so on.

User avatar
aliasmask
Deity
Posts: 8625
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:11 pm
Location: Bay Area

Re: quick Q on performance

Post by aliasmask »

When do you notice the lag? When moving the tokens? Are you using FOW and VBL? Do you have large open areas? Do you have lots of "circle" vbl? What's the vision range set to? Are you using individual views?

I've recently discovered a FOW lag issue that my lib:players token fixes, so I never saw it until I didn't use it. If you think it maybe related to FOW then you may want to try it and see if it helps. But there are some other things that cause lag like the number of macro buttons on a token and complicated vbl or "lots" of vbl. I can't really define "lots" though but it usually involves putting circles and X's over tree stumps.

User avatar
xTimx
Cave Troll
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:29 pm

Re: quick Q on performance

Post by xTimx »

aliasmask wrote:When do you notice the lag? When moving the tokens? Are you using FOW and VBL? Do you have large open areas? Do you have lots of "circle" vbl? What's the vision range set to? Are you using individual views?

I've recently discovered a FOW lag issue that my lib:players token fixes, so I never saw it until I didn't use it. If you think it maybe related to FOW then you may want to try it and see if it helps. But there are some other things that cause lag like the number of macro buttons on a token and complicated vbl or "lots" of vbl. I can't really define "lots" though but it usually involves putting circles and X's over tree stumps.



i notice the lag when i'm editing the tokens and moving scenery, yes i copy and paste lots of the same image. yes i'm using VBL and i'm only using circles on like a selected few items. and I WILL be using FOW when the players connect and this is all happening when no one is even connected to my server. this is just happening when i'm first making the map. it would be lagging when i'm rotating scenery as well too.

User avatar
aliasmask
Deity
Posts: 8625
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:11 pm
Location: Bay Area

Re: quick Q on performance

Post by aliasmask »

Do you have FOW on when you're editing the map? Basically, never have FOW on unless you're running a server. If you want to test FOW then create a 2nd instance and log on as a player and then test that way. If you're using large images for regular tokens, then when rotating could cause a delay until it caches the image. Most of my tokens usually get no bigger than 600x600 but I try to use 200x200. I use a 100px grid.

User avatar
xTimx
Cave Troll
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:29 pm

Re: quick Q on performance

Post by xTimx »

aliasmask wrote:Do you have FOW on when you're editing the map? Basically, never have FOW on unless you're running a server. If you want to test FOW then create a 2nd instance and log on as a player and then test that way. If you're using large images for regular tokens, then when rotating could cause a delay until it caches the image. Most of my tokens usually get no bigger than 600x600 but I try to use 200x200. I use a 100px grid.



no FOW on when editing/making the map cause its just me on the program and not other players. maybe it'll change when i actually start putting players into the game and such.

i'll let you all know what happens when i do

User avatar
CoveredInFish
Demigod
Posts: 3104
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:37 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: quick Q on performance

Post by CoveredInFish »

xTimx wrote:yes i'm using VBL and i'm only using circles on like a selected few items.


As far as I know -- a circle, as beeing a pretty complicated kind of line, is not a good way to build VBL performance wise. Its much more efficient if you put a little cross inside the object. This makes the object itself more visible too.
Attachments
vbl_crossTechnique.png
vbl_crossTechnique.png (367.48 KiB) Viewed 685 times

User avatar
xTimx
Cave Troll
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:29 pm

Re: quick Q on performance

Post by xTimx »

Fish thank you for the tip! i re-did all my circle VBL and changed them to the cross type. great idea! tonight i'll be testing that out and seeing how it all works.

Post Reply

Return to “MapTool”